UConn v. #10 Providence Friars (Friday 2/2/24 @7p @Toscano Family Ice Forum & Saturday 2/3/24 @7p @Schneider Arena) Both games on ESPN+ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn v. #10 Providence Friars (Friday 2/2/24 @7p @Toscano Family Ice Forum & Saturday 2/3/24 @7p @Schneider Arena) Both games on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Toscano has tight rims…oh sorry. Wrong sport. Last night was the worst game I’ve been to in a long while. This team is very undisciplined. Yet another 5 minute major. We have a team of grinders. No special talent there. No scorers. There are a couple of players I like in there roles, the 8-9-10 line guys play hard and Muldowny especially seems to have a nose for the puck. I could see him being one of those guys you really like soon. Heaslip is a player. But overall this team looks slow, small and lacking in size, and they desperately need someone who can put the puck in the net. Not sure what is going on with Wood. He seems almost confused out there. He doesn’t seem to like to be hit or to hit. And he has fallen in love with that behind the back pass. I counted twice he did it when he had a clear path to rush the puck and both times the guy he passed to was covered. He looks like a totally different guy from the. Team Canada player. I sort of wonder if he is just not mature enough to be playing against guys who are in their 20s. He might be athletically ready but in other ways maybe not so much. I think he’d get eaten alive in the AHL.

Reaction Score
But Wood played much better last year. He has taken a huge step backward.
Who was his center last year?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
But Wood played much better last year. He has taken a huge step backward.
Who was his center last year?
Missing Amonte, Tverberg and Pearson from last years group of forwards. That’s a lot of speed and experience. We definitely did not replace the speed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Samu out for tonight:

“Hockey East announced today that UConn sophomore forward Samu Salminen (Helsinki, Finland) has been suspended for one game stemming from an incident at 14:22 of the first period on Friday, February 2 against Providence. Salminen is ineligible to play Saturday, February 3 against the Friars and is able to return to the Huskies’ lineup on Friday, February 9 against Massachusetts.”

Reaction Score
Missing Amonte, Tverberg and Pearson from last years group of forwards. That’s a lot of speed and experience. We definitely did not replace the speed.
As some of you have referenced here already…the 3rd line is the most exciting and at times, most productive, more so then not. Watching a few shifts, it’s obvious. Grit, hustle, motivation, etc.whatever it may be, there may be quite a nucleus that’s somewhat hidden. Incoming talent will be necessary regardless. There are some positives there I think

Reaction Score
Samu out for tonight:

“Hockey East announced today that UConn sophomore forward Samu Salminen (Helsinki, Finland) has been suspended for one game stemming from an incident at 14:22 of the first period on Friday, February 2 against Providence. Salminen is ineligible to play Saturday, February 3 against the Friars and is able to return to the Huskies’ lineup on Friday, February 9 against Massachusetts.”

Seemed so out of character for him.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Seemed so out of character for him.
Yeah, I’m thinking that guy may have done something that he was reacting to that we all missed. Maybe? Otherwise it’s inexplicable.

Reaction Score
Only thing I can think of is he was expecting a body hit and braced/countered and when it wasn't there he was already in the motion and caught him square.
Regardless, not good.
So it's not an automatic game suspension, it's a conference decision? Didn't we lose someone to kneeing recently and he came back next HE game?

Reaction Score
Only thing I can think of is he was expecting a body hit and braced/countered and when it wasn't there he was already in the motion and caught him square.
Regardless, not good.
So it's not an automatic game suspension, it's a conference decision? Didn't we lose someone to kneeing recently and he came back next HE game?
Was it Shandor?? I can’t remember what happened.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Regardless, not good.
Bradley against Merrimack is one I remember. This was a shot to the head though. I guess the powers that be at HE found it to be dangerous and egregious. Seemed mild live, but looked much worse upon replay.

Reaction Score
Capone vs Sacred Heart

Cav said last night he can’t remember having 3 majors during the same season since he’s been here.

4 this season, 6 last season

Reaction Score
I don’t think they have the personnel to match the staff’s desire to play that way. During the HE semis a couple years ago, I was amazed at how they manhandled Northeastern, nullifying an obvious talent gap between the two. The difference was the size n strength of UConn’s team. Again, not an expert or guru speaking on hockey specifics, but it stands out. They have the grit and the motivation to live up to what the desired identity appears to be, but no longer the personnel to play that way. That’s on coaching and recruiting if accurate. If you lack speed and size, grit and effort will only get u so far. Jim Calhoun’s greatest quote “ never mistake talent for effort”. I’ve referenced that numerous times on this site. We saw that with Hurleys first couple teams and now we’re seeing what all of put together is producing. I think it applies to the hockey team this year particularly.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I don’t think they have the personnel to match the staff’s desire to play that way. During the HE semis a couple years ago, I was amazed at how they manhandled Northeastern, nullifying an obvious talent gap between the two. The difference was the size n strength of UConn’s team. Again, not an expert or guru speaking on hockey specifics, but it stands out. They have the grit and the motivation to live up to what the desired identity appears to be, but no longer the personnel to play that way. That’s on coaching and recruiting if accurate. If you lack speed and size, grit and effort will only get u so far. Jim Calhoun’s greatest quote “ never mistake talent for effort”. I’ve referenced that numerous times on this site. We saw that with Hurleys first couple teams and now we’re seeing what all of put together is producing. I think it applies to the hockey team this year particularly.
I cannot disagree. We are like 2-3 talented offensive players form being good. We need to some how find them this off season. I also think Wood will leave if his handlers don’t think the UConn staff is developing him enough. That’s what it always seems to come down to. Do our players get better year over year. Not enough have. Coaching? What else can it be?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Capone vs Sacred Heart

Cav said last night he can’t remember having 3 majors during the same season since he’s been here.

4 this season, 6 last season
Hmm…someone seems to not want to face the truth. And it aint us. We seem to remember all of them.

Reaction Score
I cannot disagree. We are like 2-3 talented offensive players form being good. We need to some how find them this off season. I also think Wood will leave if his handlers don’t think the UConn staff is developing him enough. That’s what it always seems to come down to. Do our players get better year over year. Not enough have. Coaching? What else can it be?
A couple players will definitely go a long way…I really hope Wood returns. I think overall, it’s just been a bad year to this point. There can be a lot coming back next season if the transfers don’t overtake the roster as it is now.

As for the development of the players, I’m sure the coaching has to take some responsibility of the lack of development but I think the overall mix of talent u have, talent ur learning that may play a larger role next season (Muldowney) eye test only and that’s being honest…amongst some misses have contributed to the record and product we’re watching.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Bradley is probably turning pro after this season
Can’t blame him…imagine him with competent players around him. He‘ll be so much fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Bradley is probably turning pro after this season
And that’s what makes it all the more difficult to win at Uconn( hockey). If the talent that’s on the roster is not championship caliber while being school, it makes development that much less relevant in many regards. By that time, their ready to further their career, which is great, but weren’t talented enough for long enough to win consistently in college. It’s a problem.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the hockey and baseball programs are similar that their on the cusp, but a few elite talents away from taking the next step

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom