UConn Transfer Portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How is Gilyard even leaving? He was a grad transfer with 1 year to play 1 year.

Reaction Score
A lot of these kids have unrealistic expectations of their skillset and opportunities in D1 Football.
There are lots of talented players out there

Why don't we see men's and women's BB players leaving mid season?
Football is the only sport that allows you to play a partial season and not lose your eligibility. If you could play 7-10 basketball games and not lose your eligibility you'd see guys transferring then and not after the season

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A lot of these kids have unrealistic expectations of their skillset and opportunities in D1 Football.

I was just going to post a comment similar to this. UConn isn't a school where there is a ton of top level talent which naturally separates itself. All these kids believe they are as good as the guy next to them.

It's a logjam of expectations. Eventually coaches have to start playing "favorites" and only some players are going to get the reps. Those who aren't, for whatever reason, are going to feel frustrated. Especially true when the team's performance stinks.

And that's why I wanted to see some changes on the depth chart. The players who have been starting haven't gotten the job done. No matter what the coaches are seeing in practice and in film and what the coaches have been game planning, it hasn't worked.

How much worse than four non-competitive losses can the subs be?

Reaction Score
I am curious about what happens with these players once they declare they are transferring. Do they lose access to the trainers, facilities, tutors, etc? Are they just regular students for the semester? Eat in the standard dining halls vs. the team dining? I can't imagine the team would want them hanging around the facilities, etc.
Some of the bigger schools they become regular students. I’m not sure if it’s the same at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Mora said yesterday they couldn’t pay players what other schools were willing to pay.

How does the basketball program afford to pay players? Especially when they get top talent. It cannot be cheap.

Reaction Score
Mora said yesterday they couldn’t pay players what other schools were willing to pay.

How does the basketball program afford to pay players? Especially when they get top talent. It cannot be cheap.
Frankly that seems like and excuse. Does UConn have the worst NIL donors in the entire country? Other places manage this all just fine. I can't imagine UConn cannot keep up with a lot of the G5s. Mora needs to stop comparing UConn to the P5s as an excuse and start performing with the G5s first.

Reaction Score
He's listed at 5'094" and 171 lbs. There's not "Plenty" of RB's in the league his size.
For reference…Google still works. Dalvin Cook? Alvin Kamara? Jerick McKinnon…and PLENTY of others…Height isn’t an issue and weight can always be gained or lost. Who said he had to stay a RB? When it’s clear and apparent the guy can obviously catch too. Refer to last season’s receiving stats perhaps UConn should’ve changed his position to receiver and let him cook there….if/since size is an issue. He’s a pretty nice athlete..he’ll find his niche.

Reaction Score
For reference…Google still works. Dalvin Cook? Alvin Kamara? Jerick McKinnon…and PLENTY of others…Height isn’t an issue and weight can always be gained or lost. Who said he had to stay a RB? When it’s clear and apparent the guy can obviously catch too. Refer to last season’s receiving stats perhaps UConn should’ve changed his position to receiver and let him cook there….if/since size is an issue. He’s a pretty nice athlete..he’ll find his niche.
Dalvin Cook is 5'10 210, Alvin Kamara is 5'10 215 and Jerick McKinnon is 5'9 201. All 3 of those guys have 30+ pounds on Houston and Brewton

Reaction Score
Locker room, coaches, I can’t take it anymore.

They quit. Get used to this all the time. Transfer portal is real. Everyone always looking for more PT and more NIL and marketing .

Reaction Score
They happen. Just less frequently. Last year UVA added a player from Georgetown midseason. Javonte Brown transferred away from the mens team at mid year a couple of years ago. The women had Saylor Poffenbarger and Mir McLean both transfer during the 21-22 season.

Reaction Score
How is Gilyard even leaving? He was a grad transfer with 1 year to play 1 year.
By leaving the program before performing in his 5th game, he just redshirt this year.

Reaction Score

Players can get hurt, players also span terms in those sports .

Also, preserve eligibility.

Reaction Score
Yes, but weight can be gained so if Houston adds on 25% of his current body weight he and Cook are the same size. What are you missing. /s
He is in his 4th year of college football and you think he can increase his body weight on relatively small frame by 25%? Not happening.

There is a reason why UConn was able to get Brewton and Houston. They have good speed, but they are undersized.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of turnover in the college ranks as well. A lot of coaches didn't see the portal and NIL coming on like it did and it changes everything. Does Mora really need this in his life? Even Saban has shown some real discomfort with all this.

How do you keep a locker room together when kids are constantly comparing payouts.......and make no mistake about it, that is exactly what they are doing and will continue to do.

Reaction Score

It has a bigger budget compared to other basketball powers than our football team has compared to real football teams. Why is that hard to understand?

Reaction Score
Dalvin Cook is 5'10 210, Alvin Kamara is 5'10 215 and Jerick McKinnon is 5'9 201. All 3 of those guys have 30+ pounds on Houston and Brewton
I guess you missed the part where I said weight can be gained or lost….comprehension is fundamental.

Reaction Score
A direct result of the NCAA essentially giving college football the middle finger Think our situation is an early indicator of the portal tsunami to come over the next few years

Reaction Score
Again…I’ll add who said he had to stay or be recruited….or even drafted as a RB. I made a point that there are guys in the league his size and some shorter. Height cannot change, weight and position can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom