UConn Transfer Portal | Page 15 | The Boneyard

UConn Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we can continue to win basketball championships (men and women) some major conference (ahem, B1G) will tire of the embarrassment of annually failing to win (one championship since 1990) and clamor to add a school that can deliver NC's.

Also, with UConn's success in women's sports like basketball, field hockey and now ice hockey, we could truly be New England's school and be a real plus for a league looking to capitalize on eyeballs in a six state region currently overlooked.

There, problem resolved..........

Wishful thinking. It wouldn’t change anything.

Reaction Score
If we can continue to win basketball championships (men and women) some major conference (ahem, B1G) will tire of the embarrassment of annually failing to win (one championship since 1990) and clamor to add a school that can deliver NC's.

Also, with UConn's success in women's sports like basketball, field hockey and now ice hockey, we could truly be New England's school and be a real plus for a league looking to capitalize on eyeballs in a six state region currently overlooked.

There, problem resolved..........
No conference cares about the sports you mentioned except Men’s Basketball and that is far behind Football.

Reaction Score
No conference cares about the sports you mentioned except Men’s Basketball and that is far behind Football.
My main point was there are egos in the P4 that need pumping up in a couple leagues.
The leaders of those leagues and the schools within it like to preen at conferences.
A league like the B1G, that has only won one NC in basketball in the last 33 years, may decide they're strong enough in football and go after a winner (even if it weakens their overall football profile initially) to bring a big spotlight to the league every March.
Then, on the women's side, show me a league that isn't supporting womens' sports for marketing purposes, or to show how inclusive they are, and tell me whether they have no interest in winning some major tournaments occasionally.

Reaction Score
My main point was there are egos in the P4 that need pumping up in a couple leagues.
The leaders of those leagues and the schools within it like to preen at conferences.
A league like the B1G, that has only won one NC in basketball in the last 33 years, may decide they're strong enough in football and go after a winner (even if it weakens their overall football profile initially) to bring a big spotlight to the league every March.
Then, on the women's side, show me a league that isn't supporting womens' sports for marketing purposes, or to show how inclusive they are, and tell me whether they have no interest in winning some major tournaments occasionally.
And yet, the top leagues have shown time and time again that they don't care about sacrificing football for basketball. So there's no reason to think that's suddenly going to change after a decade plus of evidence otherwise

Reaction Score
Have you check our stats this season? Victor is leading the team in receptions and is second in receiving yards. He is also our leading rusher.
Chief, I think you need to stop or you will lose any credibility you have remaining when it comes to football.

Reaction Score
Have you check our stats this season? Victor is leading the team in receptions and is second in receiving yards. He is also our leading rusher.

Rosa is not even close to being the leading receiver. He has like 43 yards receiving total.

He’s the leading rusher on the virtue of being the only “starter” to not transfer midseason.

Reaction Score
Wish is not a strategy. Our admin has worked with your hypothesis for years. How’s that worked out for us? Hoops is a distant fourth behind football, football and ……….football

Reaction Score
And yet, the top leagues have shown time and time again that they don't care about sacrificing football for basketball. So there's no reason to think that's suddenly going to change after a decade plus of evidence otherwise
Sad but true. To play devil's advocate though. If the b-ball teams can stay near the top consistently and become the teams to watch from November to March and a little steam from the football team.. maybe it'll turn out to be too many eyeballs to ignore and a tiny sacrifice in football is negated by bringing up the overall brand of the other basketball brands. I don't think the Michigans and Ohio States of the Big10 have any less of a chance of getting to the national championship because they have to play UConn in football once every couple years. But yea, football drives a much much bigger bus.

Reaction Score
If that is what it takes to get him, is it above market value
If UConn got a nod to P4 I’d say sure.
But it’s all about football today. Don’t see that changing until tv revenues dry up

Reaction Score
If UConn got a nod to P4 I’d say sure.
But it’s all about football today. Don’t see that changing until tv revenues dry up
I feel like we are close to the breaking point on that. Disney is hurting because of ESPN contracts and is trying to sell off a lot of it. That'll cause a domino effect with Fox and CBS. Once that bubble pops all college sports are going to hurting with the way the conference travel is going to be.

Reaction Score
I feel like we are close to the breaking point on that. Disney is hurting because of ESPN contracts and is trying to sell off a lot of it. That'll cause a domino effect with Fox and CBS. Once that bubble pops all college sports are going to hurting with the way the conference travel is going to be.
It's almost comical to watch our pals at ESPN struggling with costs and viewership. They rode a wave of growth that lead them to create 4 networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPNews) and now can't afford to produce the content they need so they're showing reruns of all sorts of games from years past plus new content like Cornhole and Pickleball. Really exciting to see 25 people gathered around the Cornhole arena while two competitors go at it for the excited crowd and announcers.
And, ATT is reviewing its options regarding DirecTv. One option is selling it because their subscriptions are down significantly.

It will also be enlightening and perhaps eye opening to see how negotiations go when the remaining league contracts come up for renewal. If the PAC12 situation is any guide we could start to see the big money fade, forcing today's high rollers to take a step back and face the reality UConn has been facing.

Reaction Score
It'll get interesting when contract negotiations open for the P4. Didn't go well for the PAC12 and if that pattern continues the bloated rights money may not be there for the others either.

Saturation could be a problem if the viewership doesn't support the production costs for so many games. And if the viewership trend line trends down we'll find out if adding championships to a league might help with their negotiations........even if it's for basketball.

Reaction Score
It'll get interesting when contract negotiations open for the P4. Didn't go well for the PAC12 and if that pattern continues the bloated rights money may not be there for the others either.

Saturation could be a problem if the viewership doesn't support the production costs for so many games. And if the viewership trend line trends down we'll find out if adding championships to a league might help with their negotiations........even if it's for basketball.
PAC12 had a very good offer from ESPN, but the overvalued themselves and that’s why they barely exist at this point.

Reaction Score

Taking control of the CBB money from the NCAA is the next step for the PX to achieving parity with football financially. When that happens we either die on the vine or we have a seat at the table.

Reaction Score
Taking control of the CBB money from the NCAA is the next step for the PX to achieving parity with football financially. When that happens we either die on the vine or we have a seat at the table.
I disagree. Football money never went to the NCAA. The powers to be set up college basketball to pay for all of the other sports championships, etc. Personally, I think football will keep all football money and they will try to continue to use the men's NCAA basketball tournament to pay for all of the other sports. But, they will try to jam more PX schools into the tournament to get a bigger share of the cash. And, unlike football which doesn't even have 1 FBS school per state, the average state has almost 8 D1 basketball schools. It would be much harder politically for the PX to take over basketball revenues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom