UConn top five | The Boneyard

UConn top five

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm curious who would make a UConn list of the top five recruits who turned out better than expected. The wider the gap, the higher on the list a player should be.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
1. Shabazz- major piece of a two championships, arguably our best player ever, was a low four star.

2. Okafor- borderline top 100 recruit, best big in our history, second pick of NBA draft, champion

3. Hilton- pretty sure he wasn't ranked very high, became a lottery pick.

4. Niels- essential part of a championship, not sure if he was even ranked.

5. Brimah- say what you want, I'm not even a huge fan of his game. But the man was also a big part of a championship, all time leader in blocks, and was very lowly rated.

This is off the top of my head. So if it sucks, I don't care.

Reaction Score
1. Shabazz- major piece of a two championships, arguably our best player ever, was a low four star.

2. Okafor- borderline top 100 recruit, best big in our history, second pick of NBA draft, champion

5. Brimah- say what you want, I'm not even a huge fan of his game. But the man was also a big part of a championship, all time leader in blocks, and was very lowly rated.

Brimah is 3rd in UConn history in blocks. But that from the 270th recruit should put him very solidly on this list for everyone

pj

Reaction Score

Good list. KO had a role in developing three of the five. If he can establish a reputation for player development, watch out!

Reaction Score
1. Tim Coles--If we had a player like him today, we'd be marveling at how a kid who probably ranked in the 300s is far outplaying kids in the top 50.

2. Gavin Edwards--went from not having an offer from any school whatsoever (and even his high school coach was dubious) to playing pretty well as a senior.

3. Hasheem Thabeet--Defensive Player of the Year and #2 pick in the draft.

4. Jake Voskuhl--Not a top 100, defensive anchor for national champions, NBA career

5. Cliff Robinson--Very successful and long NBA career, very talented, a Perno recruit.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
In addition to what @Huskyforlife posted, Ray Allen and Nadav Henefeld.

Allen was ranked 57th in his class by Athlon, and nobody had him in the top 25. The only ACC schools that offered him were Clemson and Maryland. Rick Pitino and Kentucky swooped in late, but Calhoun was able to lock him up before Slick Rick could turn him.

Henefeld was completely out of thin air. And disappeared just as quickly.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
In addition to what @Huskyforlife posted, Ray Allen and Nadav Henefeld.

Allen was ranked 57th in his class by Athlon, and nobody had him in the top 25. The only ACC schools that offered him were Clemson and Maryland. Rick Pitino and Kentucky swooped in late, but Calhoun was able to lock him up before Slick Rick could turn him.

Henefeld was completely out of thin air. And disappeared just as quickly.
Have to agree on Ray Allen. Other Wordly. career college stats.
Ray Allen College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Henefeld great and Doron Scheffer too. Thabeet and Niels Giffey.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
How highly ranked was Chris Smith coming out of high school?

I remember that he was a really big deal in Connecticut, but I can't remember how big he was for any national recruiting rankings. If he's lower than 80, then he's got to be on the top 5 UConn list for me...

... actually, if he's lower than 80, he'd be number 1 on the list for me...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I remember that he was a really big deal in Connecticut, but I can't remember how big he was for any national recruiting rankings. If he's lower than 80, then he's got to be on the top 5 UConn list for me...

Played in an All Star game at MSG I believe back in the day for the NY Metro team vs DC or something like that? He was pretty highly regarded actually don't remember the ranking detail though.

Reaction Score
1. Tim Coles--If we had a player like him today, we'd be marveling at how a kid who probably ranked in the 300s is far outplaying kids in the top 50.

2. Gavin Edwards--went from not having an offer from any school whatsoever (and even his high school coach was dubious) to playing pretty well as a senior.

3. Hasheem Thabeet--Defensive Player of the Year and #2 pick in the draft.

4. Jake Voskuhl--Not a top 100, defensive anchor for national champions, NBA career

5. Cliff Robinson--Very successful and long NBA career, very talented, a Perno recruit.

How can Thabeet be on your list and Okafor not? Thabeet was rated much higher than Okafor.

Reaction Score
I'd put Emeka above Shabazz. Emeka was first team AA a year sooner (Junior year vs. Senior) than Shabazz and was ranked lower coming out of high school.

Agreed with this. Emeka had a better overall career than Bazz, and was lower ranked.

Emeka
Shabazz
Hilton
Voskuhl
Amida

are my five.

Reaction Score

1. Tom McCrocklin
2. Jimmy Foster
3. Ruslan Inyatkin
4. Gary Custik
5. Antric Klaiber

I challenge the boneyard to beat that!!! Bwahahaha!

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
1. Tom McCrocklin
2. Jimmy Foster
3. Ruslan Inyatkin
4. Gary Custik
5. Antric Klaiber

The evil clown laugh is starting to creep me out bro.

Reaction Score

Smitty was around a #35 recruit - Calhoun's first pretty high ranking recruit.

Reaction Score
1. Tom McCrocklin
2. Jimmy Foster
3. Ruslan Inyatkin
4. Gary Custik
5. Antric Klaiber

Al Lewis
Ron Hrubala
Al Vaughn
Oliver Macklin
Willie McCloud

Your move!;)

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
1. Tom McCrocklin
2. Jimmy Foster
3. Ruslan Inyatkin
4. Gary Custik
5. Antric Klaiber

The definitive hipster list.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I think you can make a strong arguement for Hilton Armstrong.

Edit: Thabeet as well.
I agree, but being a pivotal player in not one, but TWO titles is unheard of. Only a select fraternity of players have two rings on the hand, and he's one of the best of 'em, since most people probably can't remember any others besides say Laettner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom