UConn to open with Stanford | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn to open with Stanford

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As Geno said after UConn defeated Notre Dame in the FF semis in 2013, "that's what's great about the NCAA tournament . . . for just this one night we needed to be better than them and we were."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Undefeated, no. Final Four, possibly. But I don't agree with the idea that the run was improbable or that a loss had to occur. There were many unknowns heading into the season but it was clear after a while that they were the best team in the nation and all the metrics bear that out. Certainly no case can be made that South Carolina or Mississippi State were better teams than UConn.

I'm going back to last summer. In the weeks leading up to the beginning of the season, I do remember many posters and commenters here in the yard, as well as media columnists that I read, with the exception of a scant few extreme UConn pessimists, no one believed that UConn was going to go undefeated or win championship #12. Our most learned, informed, realistic and respected long time posters here in the yard did not believe UConn was going into the Christmas break without a loss or two. Baylor was the elephant in the room early in the season because they were game #2 on the schedule. They were thought to be too big, too experienced for UConn to beat. There was also Notre Dame and Maryland. Florida State was thought to be formidable, (and they were), but was not thought to be a real threat (only a last second block by Collier preserved the win). UConn played 7 top 25 programs before conference play. Nobody saw the Feb 18 "scare" at Tulane that UConn very nearly lost (63-60) coming. NOBODY saw the Florida State or Tulane game as near losses when the schedule came out.

With the loss of 3/5 of their starting line up, UConn was seen as "toothless" and vulnerable by some observers. You had no returning All-Americans coming back, and you had no depth. It was not known at the time who the 3 new starters would be. Saniya Chong was NOT a consensus to be one of the 3 starters that would join Nurse and Samuelson. Most thought Butler for sure, and some even thought Dangerfield would start. I read every post last summer (here in the yard) concerning and predicting UConn's performance that year.

I know you're close to the program, a lot closer than me. But I do remember all but the most far out on the fringe optimistic posters saying that UConn would lose at least two games, and that a FF appearance was doubtful.
These debates went on daily. I remember Carnac predicting that "no team would go undefeated that year". I thought he was stepping way out there with that one, but he was right.

UConn didn't really know what kind of team they had until they beat Texas and Notre Dame. AFTER the ND win, then they started to realize what they had, and for the first time thought it might be possible to run the table, but they still had to get by Maryland and South Carolina (with the vaunted twin towers). Unlike THIS summer, that type of thinking was not prevalent. If you remember, according to Tom Creme, Notre Dame was ranked #1 going into the season followed by Louisville, South Carolina then UConn at #4. Followed by Texas Baylor and Maryland.

Creme wrote: "The season that the rest of women's basketball has waited for will finally arrive. The reign of Connecticut, at least as the dominant, immovable force in the game, is over. The 2016-17 season looks to be as wide open as any season in more than a decade (even in 2011, when Texas A&M and Notre Dame met for the championship, UConn and Baylor entered the season as big favorites). Certainly teams can change before next season tips off, with player transfers, coaching changes and injuries. But it's time to start looking ahead". Creme's analysis of UConn's team last year was shared by many in the media, as well as WCBB fans around the country.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree with what you are saying Scoop. Just saying that the perception of the team changed over the season, and rightly so.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree with what you are saying Scoop. Just saying that the perception of the team changed over the season, and rightly so.

I agree....................as the season progressed.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oops, I failed reading comprehension on this one. My apologies to Gate81.

Reaction Score
UConn's 13-game non-league schedule will also have it hosting California-Berkeley (Nov. 17), Maryland (Nov. 19), Notre Dame (Dec. 3), and Louisville (Feb. 12), visiting UCLA (Nov. 21), Nevada (Nov. 28), DePaul (Dec. 8), Texas (Jan. 15), and South Carolina (Feb. 1), and neutral site games with Michigan State in Eugene, Oregon (Nov. 25), Oklahoma at Mohegan Sun Arena (Dec. 19), and Duquesne in Toronto (Dec. 22).

The Huskies' 16-game American Athletic Conference schedule will have them playing five schools -- Central Florida, Memphis, South Florida, Temple and Tulane -- home and away, hosting Cincinnati, Tulsa, and Wichita State, while visiting East Carolina, Houston, and SMU.

Schedule switch: UConn to open with Stanford
Know when they'll announce dates? Need that ECU game date.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Just a couple of notes on Height on the team. Last season imo Geno showed how great of a coach he is because he didnt have height and beat teams who believe they need to stack their teams with height. True many of those tall players cant shoot consistently outside a few feet from the basket. When I look at Steph Dolsen and how Geno developed her into a very good inside player, passer and into a consistent outside shooter well you dont need to say much more. She made the WNBA and looking at her freshman year and looking at her now the improvement is amazing.

As for Ohio St. Like a few programs in WCBB it is a mess. We'll leave it at that. Top players transfering like some other programs is an indication to me that the problems are internal. One other point. UConn would beat Ohio St by 50. Stanford would offer a much more conpetitive game. I dont think Ohio St losing by 50 is something they want to entertain. JMO

This season UConn is far above any other team in WCBB. With the incoming class and transfers its a Great Big WOW. Once again the only way imo UConn loses if they play poorly. There isnt a team that can beat them this season. Foul trouble this season shouldnt be a problem because of UConns depth. Barring injuries this year should be another undefeated season and most likely so will the following year. UConn has a few players who could be NPOY and a couple of freshman who will be in the running for NFOY. Geno continues to raise the bar in WCBB and no other teams are even close to reaching it. Geno continues to beat his best. It seems everytime he sets a record with his team his team breaks it. Talk about over achieving. So now we wait til the season beings.
Lose three All-Americans--the top three selections in the WNBA Draft, no less--lack height, depth and experience and still finish 36-1, coming within an overtime bucket of playing for the National Championship?Last season may have been Geno's greatest coaching achievement.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I posted early last four that Uconn would make the FF--in every big game I started doubting--that damn bench was an issue.

Reaction Score
Lose three All-Americans--the top three selections in the WNBA Draft, no less--lack height, depth and experience and still finish 36-1, coming within an overtime bucket of playing for the National Championship?Last season may have been Geno's greatest coaching achievement.
An improbably basket, too many fouls, no one on the bench that could provide relief---and yet --as you say--in OT one louzy basket by the shortest kid on the floor--who da thunk it?? All in all a super great season by 12 great kids gave u us fun and excitement for 8 months

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
An improbably basket, too many fouls, no one on the bench that could provide relief---and yet --as you say--in OT one louzy basket by the shortest kid on the floor--who da thunk it?? All in all a super great season by 12 great kids gave u us fun and excitement for 8 months
Forget about OT. A single made free throw in regulation puts UConn in the national final last season. (the Huskies uncharacteristically missed a bunch of FT's vs MS St)

Reaction Score
Forget about OT. A single made free throw in regulation puts UConn in the national final last season. (the Huskies uncharacteristically missed a bunch of FT's vs MS St)
t
The missed FT's most likely indicated : 1. Tired physically and mentally (long tough season no real bench) 2. Emotionally taken out of the game by MS early rather large lead. There is one other that I hesitate to list--those that actually watched the game can surmise what than may be.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Bridgeman, I think another one of Geno's best or finest coaching achievements was the 2010-2011 season. The No. 1 Huskies' historic win streak ended at 90 that year with a loss to Stanford, 71-59. They made it to the final four that year with only one loss. They lost again to Notre Dame in the semi-finals 72-63. Why was this season one of Geno's finest?

Because he went the the second half of the season using only 6 players. The starters: Dolson, Faris, Hayes, Moore and Hartley. Samarie Walker transferred to Kentucky at the Christmas break. Doty and Buck were injured, and did not dress. The bench consisted of Lauren Dixon, Michala Johnson and Lauren Engeln. Dixon was the 6th player, and the only player that came off the bench for the most part after the Christmas break.

With only six players, that meant the starters were expected to play 38-40 minutes EVERY GAME. No one could: get tired, get in foul trouble or get hurt. UConn went 36-2 that year. I don't remember if he did or not, but I though Geno EARNED, and should have received "Coach of the Year" for his team's performance that season.

How many other coaches in D1 WCBB could produce that kind of results, and go as far as UConn did that year (any year) with only 6 players? I believe Johnson and Englen transferred at the end of the season. I've always thought THAT season was one of Geno's finest ever. He got every ounce of potential from that team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
According to this Stanford release from August 26, the reasons for the change in opponent were "television logistics and team travel." My interpretation of this is that ESPN wanted the UConn game to be shown on its primary network channel (ESPN) in the 1:30 time slot. Doing so, however, would have meant that the Stanford v Louisville game would have to be the 2nd game of the doubleheader, or 4 pm which may have prevented Stanford from leaving Columbus that evening. Remember, Stanford will be in Columbus to play Ohio State on Friday night, November 10. I also suspect the event organizers wanted the host team, Ohio State, to play in the 2nd game to maximize the crowd for both games.

Cardinal to Play UConn

Matchups have changed for the Countdown to Columbus event at Nationwide Arena on Nov. 12 and Stanford will now face Connecticut instead of Louisville. The game between the Cardinal and Huskies will tip at 1:30 p.m. ET/10:30 a.m. PT and air on ESPN.

Team travel and television logistics required a change in opponents. When the Countdown to Columbus was first announced in April, the original matchups were Stanford against Louisville and Ohio State against Connecticut. The Cardinals and Buckeyes will now play following Stanford and Connecticut.

Last edited:

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
I also suspect the event organizers wanted the host team, Ohio State, to play in the 2nd game to maximize the crowd for both games.

Your comment is huge and true. Back in ~ 95 or 96 UConn played in a tournament at Stanford, where Stanford played in the first game and UConn in the second. The crowd was VASTLY smaller for the UConn game, which was televised and was a bit of a black eye for host... The arena had only a couple hundred people, while the Stanford game has a couple thousand...
I'm glad the home team is being a good host and helping maintain the crowds for both games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom