UConn thrives as it goes International | The Boneyard

UConn thrives as it goes International

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Summary article on how the increased international roster is making for richer experiences

While alot of quotes have been reported, a few (by Nika) are pretty funny as she pushed a friendly rivalry
between the Internationals and "her" Americans

“The internationals are taking over,” Muhl said. “I’m very excited. We have a lot of (chemistry-building activities) that (associate head coach Chris Dailey) has us play during the year. It is going to be Team World against Team USA in a lot of those games, and it is going to be fun to watch them lose.”

“It makes me proud as a Hungarian kid to be able to play at UConn,” Juhasz said. “I am taking these opportunities to chase my dream. It is amazing, and I am happy I can motivate a lot of kids back home. I talk to the kids at the academy I grew up, showing them through my example this is possible. Playing on the national team is a little easier to be seen.”

“It is always funny when Azzi (sic. speaks Hungarian) does that on the court because I am always expecting someone to speak English to me,” Juhasz said. “She is a funny girl. I like Azzi, for sure.”

“I love my Americans,” she said. “I don’t see any difference between anybody, but having my fellow Europeans, obviously, we have some sort of understanding what it is like for each other over there. My Americans don’t have that yet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There was a time when Geno could walk into most American kids houses and the recruiting battle was essentially over. In the past decade or so, the competition for top US players has intensified, and UConn has, on several occasions, found itself #2.

Internationally it’s a somewhat different story. While UConn got started a little late in targeting overseas recruits, there is no doubt that when UConn and Geno Auriemma come calling, the opportunity to play for the most famous coach and team in the history of WBB is a compelling motivation for foreign players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think one of the things Geno likes when he goes abroad is the style of play and the team training he sees in Europe that has somewhat disappeared in the US (as a lot of coaches have noted.) The club ball in Europe is a different beast from AAU all star travel teams where practice is rare, so the most talented Europeans are more ready for college than the US kids, and especially more ready for Geno's style of play and coaching.

Reaction Score
There was a time when Geno could walk into most American kids houses and the recruiting battle was essentially over. In the past decade or so, the competition for top US players has intensified, and UConn has, on several occasions, found itself #2.

Internationally it’s a somewhat different story. While UConn got started a little late in targeting overseas recruits, there is no doubt that when UConn and Geno Auriemma come calling, the opportunity to play for the most famous coach and team in the history of WBB is a compelling motivation for foreign players.
This is spot on. The evidence is also clearer on this effect from some of our late in the process recruiting. With Nika and Ines we were able to snatch them after others had made their pitch, and someone said Aaliyah was a pretty late interest as well. With Nika it is most obvious, because she already had announced her final 4 or 5 short list, then Uconn came calling, she added us to the list and soon thereafter committed before even visiting the campus.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi: “I tell them, ‘You had better be ready for when I come visit and overstay my welcome.’ I love it. Whether they like it or not, I will be going to visit them in their home countries.”

Reaction Score
Azzi: “I tell them, ‘You had better be ready for when I come visit and overstay my welcome.’ I love it. Whether they like it or not, I will be going to visit them in their home countries.”
My best friend was Hungary born and bred like dorka. His parent too were here, they brought the Hungarian flavor in food and "never give-up-ness"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom