UConn stats... 10 reasons Ashlynn may start...(again) | The Boneyard

UConn stats... 10 reasons Ashlynn may start...(again)

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Full disclosure, I have no idea who will be 100% healthy or how well the new additions to the team will perform prior to the season opener. But, Ash made a strong case to stay in the starting lineup with her performance last season. Consider:

1. Shade scored 419 points in 38 games, 10th highest ever for a UConn freshman. 3rd highest on the team last season.
2. Geno started Ashlynn for the last 33 games of the season and played her 1,194 total minutes. (31.4 per game)
3. She doesn't foul. Only 52 fouls in 1,200 minutes.
4. Shot 48.1% overall, better than KK, Q, Ice, and Nika.
5. Shade grabbed 133 rebounds, better than Ice's 127 or KK's 121. (minutes were different)
6. Fewest turnovers of any player with 500 minutes on the court. She had only 39.
7. Ash hit 64 threes, 2nd only to Paige (84). Her 35.6% accuracy was behind only Paige and Nika.
8. Shoots free throws at 91.3%. (Just needs to get more attempts.)
9. Fitness level is off the charts and she will return a better player after 1,200 minutes of experience.
10. Most importantly, IMO Azzi will not be 100% in November. Geno may start Ash and sub in Azzi at the shooting guard spot.

Two starters graduated. That leaves room for Geno & staff to move Paige out of the PF role and start 2 returning players (from injury) or new players (freshman or transfers). Paige, KK and Ash gives Geno three starters from last season to build upon...

Thoughts?
Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe the five remaining players on the team that ended this season will be the ones starting next season. Others will get subbed in and start playing more minutes as the season goes on. I am hopeful there will be no off-season injuries!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
11) She plays most of the time with a smile on her face. :)

I'd be shocked if she doesn't start at the beginning of the year, mildly surprised if she doesn't start all year. As Geno has been known to say, what we saw this past season is the worst she'll play. She's a sponge.

Reaction Score
The only way Ash isn't a starter is if she players her way out of that role and I don't see that happening. She is a steady consistent player, rarely makes dopey mistakes, is willing to shoot and hits at a good percentage, plays hard defense and has a strong motor. Not the tallest, fastest, or quickest but plays above her weight. She's a high caliber role player that any coach would want on the floor.

She will get fewer minutes next year because there will, hopefully, actually be subs on the bench.

Reaction Score
Three years ago Geno brought in a top ranked recruiting class — Azzi Caroline Amari — and a great transfer. None of them started in November. Who started were the players who already knew the system. The previous year, freshman Paige started from day one. But she was an exception.

Reaction Score
Ashlynn may start because players coming back from injury may or may not be at 100% and they may be on some serious minutes per game restrictions, which should give Ashlynn, along with KK and Paige the starting three. Now the other two spots will be interesting to see who gets the nod.

Reaction Score
Ashleys only weakness is her ability to get open when shes being guarded close.
In the national tournament they kept someone on her because they had noted she was a good shooter. No one really had done that before and she almost disappeared offense-wise.
I'm sure Geno noticed that and its something they will work on this summer.
So, yeah, she'll start.

Reaction Score
In the national tournament they kept someone on her because they had noted she was a good shooter. No one really had done that before and she almost disappeared offense-wise.
So, yeah, she'll start.
In fairness she had to create her own shot where Paige was able to get off ball screens . But her being out there helped Paige not get doubled all the time

Reaction Score
Ashlynn may start because players coming back from injury may or may not be at 100% and they may be on some serious minutes per game restrictions, which should give Ashlynn, along with KK and Paige the starting three. Now the other two spots will be interesting to see who gets the nod.
In November I'm thinking the two starting spots go to Ice and Caroline. That's the easiest option and gives you an experienced starting five.

Reaction Score
In fairness she had to create her own shot where Paige was able to get off ball screens . But her being out there helped Paige not get doubled all the time
Exactly. When Paige was the main other perimeter option, it was a lot easier for opponents to cover her. Next season, I doubt there will many moments when Geno only has 2 perimeter threats on the floor. Ash will be a handful for any opposing teams.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Nice post.

I'm response to a different thread, where a poster said UConn should be ranked 15th in pre season due injury history, can't count on incoming freshmen, and not sure if injured players will come back, I posted that just rolling back last year's team is already good.

I view Ash and KK as a pair. They are both complete players. If we didn't have Paige and Azzi, and the incoming pair of Allie and Morgan, we'd be raving about 3 more years of a unique outstanding guard duo.

If we rolled out Kk at 1, Ash at 2, Q at 3, Paige at 4 and Ice at 5, that's not our optimal team, but it could be a very good one. Paige would still be out of position at power forward, but everyone else would be in their best spot. Q and Ice were definitely not as solid as the guard pair, but with a full season of 30 minutes a game would improve dramatically.

Now if everything works out great and our starting group is really Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Sarah and Raegan, I am thrilled.

It just gives me a lot of confidence how much I believe in the Ash & KK combo, and their sidekicks Q and Ice. If they are the backups, we will be tough to beat.

Reaction Score
If everyone comes back healthy, I don't see it. Everything is relative. Don't get me wrong... she's good, but she doesn't draw the best or second best defender in most matchups. She got a ton of wide open shots and to her credit shot a decent clip. Against the right defender she can get her own shot, especially in the midrange which is her strength in my opinion. Her rebounding is really good too for her size. She plays good position defense, but I don't see her as above average. I don't expect this genie to go back in the bottle, but I do expect a role change.

Reaction Score
11) She plays most of the time with a smile on her face. :)

I'd be shocked if she doesn't start at the beginning of the year, mildly surprised if she doesn't start all year. As Geno has been known to say, what we saw this past season is the worst she'll play. She's a sponge.
Also, as we all know, Ash was the BIG EAST FRESHMAN "Player of the Year" (is that the correct phrasing?).

Reaction Score
Nice post.

I'm response to a different thread, where a poster said UConn should be ranked 15th in pre season due injury history, can't count on incoming freshmen, and not sure if injured players will come back, I posted that just rolling back last year's team is already good.

I view Ash and KK as a pair. They are both complete players. If we didn't have Paige and Azzi, and the incoming pair of Allie and Morgan, we'd be raving about 3 more years of a unique outstanding guard duo.

If we rolled out Kk at 1, Ash at 2, Q at 3, Paige at 4 and Ice at 5, that's not our optimal team, but it could be a very good one. Paige would still be out of position at power forward, but everyone else would be in their best spot. Q and Ice were definitely not as solid as the guard pair, but with a full season of 30 minutes a game would improve dramatically.

Now if everything works out great and our starting group is really Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Sarah and Raegan, I am thrilled.

It just gives me a lot of confidence how much I believe in the Ash & KK combo, and their sidekicks Q and Ice. If they are the backups, we will be tough to beat.
UCONN will have a GLORIOUS rotation of WONDERFUL players. I don't worry about who will be
the " starting five". The in rotation of the next 4- 5 players will be absolutely KILLING to opponents.
Imagine having so many "fresh legs" with unique skill sets coming off the bench. Aubrey coming off
the bench as #6 is my first consideration... Many variables!! NICE!

Reaction Score
So, yeah, she'll start.
Ash did well when she had time to plant and shoot, something easy against the BE competition, not so easy against the better more well coached teams as shown by her lack of scoring in the NCAA's. She needs to learn to shoot off the dribble with a variety of jump shots and floaters, also driving the basket, leading to more versatility. I expect she knows this and with help from her dad, she will put in a ton of work over the summer, putting her in the mix for playing time next year.

Reaction Score
Three years ago Geno brought in a top ranked recruiting class — Azzi Caroline Amari — and a great transfer. None of them started in November. Who started were the players who already knew the system. The previous year, freshman Paige started from day one. But she was an exception.
This year Geno brought in Ashlynn, KK, Q and Ice ( from freshman injury) and how did that work out. I have been high on Ashlynn ALL year and stated she will start for FOUR years. There has been NO-ONE previous to come to Uconn in better shape and ready to play from day one. Ashlynn is born to play Uconn BB and is a future AA, and will earn a NC. ring. GO ASHLYNN!!! GO SOPHPOMORES!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!.

Reaction Score
Full disclosure, I have no idea who will be 100% healthy or how well the new additions to the team will perform prior to the season opener. But, Ash made a strong case to stay in the starting lineup with her performance last season. Consider:

1. Shade scored 419 points in 38 games, 10th highest ever for a UConn freshman. 3rd highest on the team last season.
2. Geno started Ashlynn for the last 33 games of the season and played her 1,194 total minutes. (31.4 per game)
3. She doesn't foul. Only 52 fouls in 1,200 minutes.
4. Shot 48.1% overall, better than KK, Q, Ice, and Nika.
5. Shade grabbed 133 rebounds, better than Ice's 127 or KK's 121. (minutes were different)
6. Fewest turnovers of any player with 500 minutes on the court. She had only 39.
7. Ash hit 64 threes, 2nd only to Paige (84). Her 35.6% accuracy was behind only Paige and Nika.
8. Shoots free throws at 91.3%. (Just needs to get more attempts.)
9. Fitness level is off the charts and she will return a better player after 1,200 minutes of experience.
10. Most importantly, IMO Azzi will not be 100% in November. Geno may start Ash and sub in Azzi at the shooting guard spot.

Two starters graduated. That leaves room for Geno & staff to move Paige out of the PF role and start 2 returning players (from injury) or new players (freshman or transfers). Paige, KK and Ash gives Geno three starters from last season to build upon...

Thoughts?
Go Huskies..!!
What an excellent thread topic. It has brought out all the joy of the boneyard! We just lost in the final four, bid farewell to two beloved seniors, and somehow we couldn’t be happier! It’s a heady feeling. This is what UConn WBB is all about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom