UConn-South Carolina postgame thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-South Carolina postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Uconn should be extremely happy about their chances of competing with anyone come tourney time. With potential reinforcements Uconn may just be the best team in the country. The coaches and players alike learned a lot today.

Reaction Score
Great game by Aaliayh, Lou, Nika, and Aubrey. Dorka was a presence. I RARELY complain about officiating in any sport, but I'm totally amazed by some of the foul calls. Why can Boston lower her shoulder into a stationary defensive players chest then drive through her and the defender gets the foul call and not her? Terrible in my opinion!

Reaction Score
Said prior to, I can’t be upset about this loss and it played out as I had hoped, allowing their outside shooting to try and beat us, which it didn’t, despite some late daggers. Too many second shot opportunities and give them credit for hitting the boards the way they did. Too big, too deep for us right now. Doubtful this will effect rankings or fruitless ESPN depth rankings. Go Huskies..

Reaction Score
This game should erase any doubts about whether the team was wearing down physically and/or mentally. This wasn't a moral victory. This was a team that came out convinced they could win. Underhanded, yes. Undersized, yes. In the end, it didn't matter. They played like they expected to win.

Boston is a difference maker, but Cardoso was the difference today. With the exception of Stanford, it's hard to match up against their twin towers. SC will be hard to beat this season, but UConn is not intimidated. If we can get reinforcements, specifically, outside shooters, it opens the lane for both Aaliyah and Aubrey to attack the basket.

Despite their foul trouble, both Aaliyah and Lou had comeback efforts after being slightly down the past two games. Aubrey brought the smack in the fourth.

After today's game, it should be obvious to all that UConn can play with anyone in the country, even with 5 players.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Exhilarating start (and finish) by the Huskies. And although there are no moral-only victories in UConn women’s basketball, you have to just love that they played really hard the entire game and never got discouraged. If the Gamecocks hadn’t dominated the o-boards again, the outcome might have been different.

Tough afternoon for a couple of our upperclassmen, though. Games like this aren’t going to come around that many more times, and the last thing you want to do is play soft or get into early foul trouble.

But beyond the great fight showed throughout, my biggest take-away is that we just need Azzi Fudd back to further spread the floor and create and make threes. Otherwise, it will likely be a heavy lift at the big dance this year.
What two upperclassmen?

Reaction Score
I will also add that I think A:TO in this game was a bigger factor than rebounding was which I never would have guessed.

I personally wasn’t doubting Aaliyah Edward’s or Aliyah Boston’s All-American candidacies but hopefully this game shut down anyone who was still questioning.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We got Paige, Azzi, Caroline, and Isuneh on the bench and lost to South Carolina by 4. By 4. That's pretty dam good. I hope we can learn from this game. They guarded Lou really well today. Aalyah just put herself top 3 for AP player of the year. Overall, a lot to learn from this game and it really showed the Huskies grit and heart.. If Uconn goes to the championship game vs South Carolina this year, Uconn will win by 15 points.
Lou had 19 points

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Boston is very good. But she leads with her forearm a lot on her moves to the basket. Not one O foul called. Our women played great. Unfortunately Dorka had trouble keeping them from offensive rebounding so much. Of course she was not alone, but her height would hopefully help. Clearly Geno doesn’t trust Amari. That was pretty much the game. Overall i think our team got a lot of confidence that they are a tough out for anybody.

Reaction Score
who was supposed to sub in?
Exactly, and I think his in game coaching was awesome. The changes in defense and his sub patterns were good. No complaints. And his technical was in my opinion, the result of bad officiating which I completely agree with. You know this year especially, I’ve noticed bad refereeing across each sport that I watch, it’s not just in basketball. The refereeing in todays sports is just bad.

Reaction Score
who was supposed to sub in?
When fouling intentionally, you offense/defense so the sub commits the foul, protecting your better offensive players; you substitute them for offense with the clock stopped shooting fouls, coaching 101. Between the timing of the T and brain farting in that situation, Auriemma had a terrible 4th qtr
As for the T, that is a 2nd qtr message to the refs, not down 6 with the ball and 3:30 left, that was terrible IMO

Reaction Score
Not that it made a difference but how do three officials miss a handoff? A pretty good showing for being thoroughly being beaten on the boards
Was that not reviewable especially at such a crucial point in the game? They'll spend 5 minutes reviewing Lou getting fouled to see if they could call a double foul, but not that?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Because I had to take a pet goat to the pet crematorium, I had to miss my first live game ever since I started watching games on SNY. I didn't record it either. I did check the score when I was able to, which is rare living in a very rural area. I also checked in on the chat but there seemed to be more usernames that I didn't recognize than ones that I did. They also seemed to being quite negative in their posts.
So bottom line is I am looking forward to reading what is posted in this thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom