UConn-South Carolina game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn-South Carolina game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aaliyah is also free to put up another 33 points, too
Her match up with Ashlyn Watkins has me concerned. Aaliyah is a smart veteran with lots of athletic ability to go with her skills. Ashlyn is super athletic but lacking a bit in maturity. She frequently gets overcharged and can make silly fouls. Plus, she can get overly emotional on questionable calls which can lead her to compound a mistake.

Do y'all expect Paige to play that hybrid 4 role she has done lately? I would play her in the point role she played as a frosh. Heck, we might have three "point guards" on the floor at the same time (though I expect wing 3 Bree Hall to defend Paige)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Her match up with Ashlyn Watkins has me concerned. Aaliyah is a smart veteran with lots of athletic ability to go with her skills. Ashlyn is super athletic but lacking a bit in maturity. She frequently gets overcharged and can make silly fouls. Plus, she can get overly emotional on questionable calls which can lead her to compound a mistake.

Do y'all expect Paige to play that hybrid 4 role she has done lately? I would play her in the point role she played as a frosh. Heck, we might have three "point guards" on the floor at the same time (though I expect wing 3 Bree Hall to defend Paige)
UConn plays three points: Nika Muhl is primary lead guard, freshman KK Arnold, and Paige, who’s a point forward this year. Freshman Ashlynn Shade, another guard, can also handle the ball

Reaction Score

We have no other option at this point in the season. While South Carolina should be able to exploit that match up with ease I am more concerned with our in ability to contain penetration against South Carolinas back court. I imagine we’ll have to put Nika on Hall leaving Johnson or PoaPoa to exploit the matchup with Shade.

Should be a feast for South Carolina on offense.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe we should just send Geno down to Columbia with a white flag instead of playing the game :rolleyes:

1707158234063.gif

Reaction Score
Not sure what the final score will be but I am positive that both Geno and his players would rather schedule games like this instead of Podunk U. These games are what keep our program in the national rankings. They are great for the younger players and are the types of games that potential recruits look forward to.

Reaction Score

You know SCar a lot better than me. Say Ashyln gets in foul trouble for SCar -- who replaces her and how do they stack up against AE? Assuming all other things equal.

Reaction Score
Obviously, we do have a chance to win this game! Unfortunately, it’s a very small chance and requires a lot of things to go well for us. One thing that is absolutely necessary is that we avoid falling behind by more than 8-10 points throughout the game. We especially need to be strong at the beginning of both halves. The odds are very much against us but if we can somehow be within striking distance at the end, Paige could win this for us.
I find it quite amusing that even though they (SC) have every advantage in this game, many commentators are clearly a little nervous about this game. I’m unsure why, as they (SC) are healthy, have a huge numbers and talent advantage, are playing at home, and are simply better at this time. This would be a monumental upset, hence the nervousness I suppose, as it would not be a good look for them to lose this game. The sleek, healthy, favorite son losing to the old, balding, slightly paunchy has beens in a walking boot, is not something they wish to contemplate. :rolleyes: Fortunately for them, I don’t think it’s likely to happen! The disparity between the two teams is just too great right now. What a story it would be though!:p
I agree with much of what you say, but not that SC has a huge talent advantage. Nobody on SC is as good as Paige or Edwards. Now “huge numbers” advantage - that I agree with. And SC’s numbers are mostly very athletic. Much more athletic than we are.

Reaction Score
So UCONN wins because S.C. was missing Cardoso , UCONN loses , they can't even beat a team that's missing one of if not their best player. UCONN won't/can't win in the media's perception ........ Just saying....
I think those in the know would still be extremely impressed if UConn won with all of their injured players out....

Reaction Score
We have no other option at this point in the season. While South Carolina should be able to exploit that match up with ease I am more concerned with our in ability to contain penetration against South Carolinas back court. I imagine we’ll have to put Nika on Hall leaving Johnson or PoaPoa to exploit the matchup with Shade.

Should be a feast for South Carolina on offense.
As with most South Carolina teams..........the only way to beat this SC team is by limiting their offensive rebounding and hope like hell that they're not hitting their threes.......stranger things have happened but it's going to be a struggle......

Reaction Score
I never want either team to be down a player as I don't want excuses after the outcome and to see where each team is at that point in the season. Lineups always change during a season for most teams and certainly UConn has had more than their share of players missing action. This is the team we have and if they are on they can beat anyone. If not they can also lose some others. I just enjoy watching them do their best and then see where the chips fall.

Reaction Score
Enough with the gloom and doom! Any team can win on any given day. College players are playing, not robots so anything can happen. I’m still rooting and hoping for the Huskies to take the game. If they do, good for them. If not, I’ll still get up the morning and have some coffee. My life isn’t affected either way. I love the fight in the team despite the injuries. Geno is still a hall of fame coach (although reading some posts on this forum denies the fact that he can coach). South Carolina has more to lose than UConn so I think they come out tight. It is a big game yet still only February and Geno gets them ready come March. First order of business is Seton Hall on Wednesday.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Regardless of the outcome, I hope the team gets a few things out of this game, in prep for the NCAAT. More balanced scoring, faster ball movement, etc.

Reaction Score
You know SCar a lot better than me. Say Ashyln gets in foul trouble for SCar -- who replaces her and how do they stack up against AE? Assuming all other things equal.
Feagin.

Reaction Score
I agree with much of what you say, but not that SC has a huge talent advantage. Nobody on SC is as good as Paige or Edwards. Now “huge numbers” advantage - that I agree with. And SC’s numbers are mostly very athletic. Much more athletic than we are.
I was referring to the amount of talent. I agree that we have the best players on the floor in Paige and Aaliyah but they have a lot more talent overall.

Reaction Score
Win or lose, UConn learns a lot about themselves and SoCar. UConn then has ~5 weeks to make adjustments prior to the start of March Madness. UConn will play in the 2024 Final Four.

Reaction Score
Newsflash! UConn women’s basketball is in a sad state! They’ve got five starting level players sitting on their bench and are essentially playing 7 against 12 every game with four of those seven, being freshmen. I don’t really see Cardoso’s absence having much of an effect. They (SC) are massive favorites and we will have to play exceptionally well and have some luck on our side to have any chance at all!
top 10 team for sure

Reaction Score
This should be a good game, I may sound crazy (like I do most of the time) but, Johnson, Pao Pao and Bree Hall have me more concerned than the posts. Pao Pao torched us at Oregon and Bree Hall is their closer. She doesn't seem to let this team lose when it gets close. Johnson faceguarded Muhl in the last match-up and took her playmaking away. Losing Cardoso evens the playing field but having our Freshman guard their guards will be tough. Looking forward to a good game though, win or lose, it's not the NCAA tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom