UConn - SJU post game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn - SJU post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It's rarely going to be pretty. It's basically a 5-player team with two of those being freshmen. St John's strategy of dribbling 95% of the clock out worked perfectly and ended up in several buzzer-beaters and last-second fouls. UConn needs to play at a far quicker pace and that's hard to force on teams when you have no depth at all.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The first thing that struck me early in the game was Nika's hesitation and failure to put up at least 3 shots when she was wide open.
I know her concentration was on defense but she should also be a scoring threat every game.
My favorite part of watching this game was seeing our walking wounded warriors enjoying the game from the bench, especially Caroline with her earplugs!!! Smiles were everywhere.

Reaction Score
Sort of inconsistent first half - better in Q2, for sure. 2nd half was a struggle. We'd start to pull away, then SJU would go on a mini-run. Their banked 3's were annoying. But credit to them for not giving up like they seemed to do in the last game. They battled and kept the game relatively close, even winning Q3. We just weren't crisp. We'd play good defense for 15 seconds, then get out of position and give up an open shot. Again, credit to SJU. They played poised and never let the game get out of hand. But still, just when you think/hope UConn has turned the corner and is really ready to play some cohesive good team ball, we seem to take steps backwards.
  • Nika sub-par in Q1. 2 fouls (1 on a 3 point shooter) and some momentum stopping turnovers. But her defense on Drake (SJU top scorer) great, at least in the 1st half. But again, fouls caught up to her. Mystifying play at times from a senior.
  • Paige with 4 turnovers the first half - 2 on consecutive possessions - and then only 1 the rest of the game. Seemed like we sort of needed her to take over in Q4. Which is really too bad. But she is unstoppable when she takes over. Just wow!
  • Liya had a monster first half, but then... maybe got a tad tired for a minute? Still... career high! Woohoo! and really good from the FT line. POG for sure!!
  • Watching SJU start their offense is like watching paint dry... Slow-Mo!
When was the last time Geno had to call a TO to stop a run, or re-set? But he had to 1 minute into Q4. Game never REALLY felt in doubt, but it was not the solid performance I would have liked to see. Liya and Paige were mostly great. The rest of the team... had their moments, but... Anyway a nice grind-out win overall - SJU is #3 in the BE. They really are no slouches. Hopefully some good stuff for the film session. and to end on a good note - Paige and Liya - STUDS!!
For some reason ( I wonder if anyone asked him?), Geno seemed determined to have his starting 5 play all 40 minutes today. True, a hint of foul trouble surfaced briefly, and he subbed in Ice and, eventually, Q. But their time on court was briefer than usual. In Q's case, it was hardly enough to get an idea about her performance ( except for the 0-2 shooting ).

I sensed a fatigue element in the second half, but it was not critical. As you mentioned, Paige took over when St. John's came within 7 points. Up until that point, however, she had had a relatively poor game. Her ball security was as poor as I have seen it. And her shooting was not Paige like in its efficiency.

I agree that this team is not going to win any big game if we only use the starting five. Two of the starting five remain " developmental" and are inconsistent. Yes, they each show flashes of star quality, but they are off and on great. ASH missed two open shots which she needs to make if she is to become a "difference maker" in a big game. And KK needs to be a bit more visionary on some of her breaks to the hoop. Too often, her drives are getting blocked, often with an offensive charge call. And she shows little inclination to shoot mid range or long range . And she can shoot.

It is pretty clear that we have a team of three great players, and depth of four developing/inconsistent freshmen. Their progress is key to the team's progress. The core three can take us pretty far, but they just cannot be asked to play all 40 minutes. And we need more than just "place holders" from the freshmen. We may not get it, but that is what we need.

I don't know what coach was up to today. Have Q and ICE slacked off in practice? Was there another motive?

Otherwise, the game was pretty much as predicted ( Edwards more of a force than usual, but not that much more). I don't think we learned much about the four freshmen. Except the two on the bench may have dropped a notch in the coach's eye. Hope not.

Reaction Score
For some reason ( I wonder if anyone asked him?), Geno seemed determined to have his starting 5 play all 40 minutes today. True, a hint of foul trouble surfaced briefly, and he subbed in Ice and, eventually, Q. But their time on court was briefer than usual. In Q's case, it was hardly enough to get an idea about her performance ( except for the 0-2 shooting ).

I sensed a fatigue element in the second half, but it was not critical. As you mentioned, Paige took over when St. John's came within 7 points. Up until that point, however, she had had a relatively poor game. Her ball security was as poor as I have seen it. And her shooting was not Paige like in its efficiency.

I agree that this team is not going to win any big game if we only use the starting five. Two of the starting five remain " developmental" and are inconsistent. Yes, they each show flashes of star quality, but they are off and on great. ASH missed two open shots which she needs to make if she is to become a "difference maker" in a big game. And KK needs to be a bit more visionary on some of her breaks to the hoop. Too often, her drives are getting blocked, often with an offensive charge call. And she shows little inclination to shoot mid range or long range . And she can shoot.

It is pretty clear that we have a team of three great players, and depth of four developing/inconsistent freshmen. Their progress is key to the team's progress. The core three can take us pretty far, but they just cannot be asked to play all 40 minutes. And we need more than just "place holders" from the freshmen. We may not get it, but that is what we need.

I don't know what coach was up to today. Have Q and ICE slacked off in practice? Was there another motive?

Otherwise, the game was pretty much as predicted ( Edwards more of a force than usual, but not that much more). I don't think we learned much about the four freshmen. Except the two on the bench may have dropped a notch in the coach's eye. Hope not.
I wondered about the subbing myself. I’ve been curious if there was going to be a conditioning element added to the starters so they adjust to having to play close to 40 minutes in March but the first game in February seems awfully early to start.

Reaction Score
This game answered a couple of questions:

How many points can AE score against a team that had no one to challenge her under the basket? Quite a few as it turns out.

Can UConn beat a mediocre team relying on only AE and Paige to score? Yes. But @msf22b is spot on in questioning whether an offense relying on two players bodes well for the future. It does not.

I started keeping track of how many non-layups UConn made after noticing how few there were. Paige made some and AE one or two. Between KK, Shade and Nika I counted 5 total baskets. Nike had two, both layups. KK had one that I think was a layup.. Shade had two and both jumpers. I cannot remember any game, men's or women's, where so few jump shots were made.

I'll take the win. It was fun to watch AE take everything given to her. Paige did her job. The D was pretty good, not overwhelming. I'm left with the question as to why 3/5th of our starters couldn't get open for and knock down shots. Hopefully this is an anomaly. Hopefully...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Up until that point, however, she had had a relatively poor game. Her ball security was as poor as I have seen it. And her shooting was not Paige like in its efficiency.

Paige was 9-16. That's not exactly poor efficiency.

Do you see quality play from Brady, and a lot of it from Q?

Reaction Score
This was a good Big East win, but the narrow distribution of points doesn't bode well for their chances in late March. The freshmen seem still to be a bit shaken by the ND loss and are playing a little tentatively. Geno may have lost confidence in Q, for example.

Aaliyah and Paige showed they can take over a game as needed and get wins like this one.
I don't think he lost confidence in Q, nor in the other freshman. The freshman didn't hit the proverbial wall yet. Nor, I think, will they.

Reaction Score
It was 2 against 5 the whole game. That freshman wall must be really really tall if they’re still climbing it.

This team should have had it figured out by now. This was not a great game by any stretch of the imagination. Sorry.

No idea what will happen come tournament time. Complete guess. They could lose in the first round against something something state or win NATTY 12.

This team is just ??????

Reaction Score
Good, gritty win by UConn. Was shaking when St. John's had the ball, only down by 7. Despite St. John's having all the momentum and only being a few shots from taking the lead, Huskies, who must have been exhausted, buckled down and made a big run.
Most of my comments were already captured so a few quick notes:
-Pro: Edwards had perhaps her best game of her career. One of the great UConn performances - well worth a watch. Should be another springboard to All American status.
Paige had an equally special Q4 when UConn was under severe pressure, hitting from all parts of the court, scoring 11
While not a stat stuffer, Slade again played most of the game, gave great defense, effort and made few mistakes. Rarely got the ball on offense but when she did, made some key shots.
-Con: Seemed that whenever UConn made a run in the first quarter, Nika made a bad pass or fouled. Geno had to take her out again due to foul troubles. Coming so close to her poor ND performance, this was a big surprise. Sometimes played great defense; other times, similar to the ND game, wasn't quick enough to keep St. John's quicker guards from turning the corner on their drives.

Reaction Score
I am happy with the way the team battled. It wasn't a pretty game where we are clicking on all cylinders. We got the win and our veterans stepped up. Well done. As for people being critical of the freshmen saying they have "hit the wall" or "they have regressed". Maybe all of that is true and maybe it's not. What I love about our freshmen in this game, they were out their forcing shots. That is a great indicator of players who understand the big picture of a program and that is why UConn, as a program, has sustained greatness for three decades and counting. Up next, Seton Hall.

Let's go, UConn!!

Reaction Score
It is pretty clear that we have a team of three great players.
Your post included numerous really good points, but I'm stumped by your reference to 'a team of three great players."

Reaction Score
Based on today's film, any future coach should focus his/her game plan around stopping Aaliyah. Paige is Paige; she'll get her 25+. But if an opponent can limit #3 to low double figures, there's a reasonable chance it can hold UConn's offense down.

We need more contribution from the others. And he has to play Q, even if it's only to get her game-ready for when Nika picks up an early 3rd foul in some future game -- which seems inevitable.

Reaction Score
Lots of posters here bemoaning a "bad second half" etc. But it was actually just a three-and-a-half minute lull in which SJU scored 16 points (including banked three's) to our 3 points. I don't like "lulls" but to me, that was the only bad spell of the game. Without that run, we win by 28 points. So I'm not as upset as others.

Reaction Score
maybe some of you think St. Johns is a pushover but they arent. This was a good win. We played good defense and St. Johns made a lot of last second shots with a husky in their face.
Nika had a very good game. Why some of you are comparing this to the ND game is beyond me. Nika had only 4 points but had 9 assists, 5 rebounds and 3 steals and kept St. Johns top scorer a non-factor.
Aaliyah was amazing under the basket and Paige did what Paige does.
Our two starting freshmen played some pretty good defense and scored when needed.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Just two weeks ago the freshmen were the greatest and the team was fun to watch. Now, the team is falling apart. Some posters change with the slightest setbacks. If they'd stop overestimating the team just because they had a winning streak, they would not be so disappointed when the team struggles. Speaking of struggling, if UConn does not improve their overall play, I believe they are headed for an embarrassing, old fashion beat down against SC.

Reaction Score
Certainly, a solid win for a manpower depleted team. Our starters are playing too many minutes to press or double team in games that are closely called. SJ was quick, came back several times with great finishes and drove the middle a lot with success. Late in this game, Edwards made several key steals for fast break opportunities. We chose to run the clock rather than close with drives. This win rested squarely on our seniors and the bench call to isolate in the fourth quarter. It worked.

Our early success in the conference was the result of balanced scoring with five (5) players nearly always in double figures. Opposing coaches have adjusted but we haven't as well yet. Hoping to see a different defensive set-up like an occasional zone especially when Ice or Q are on the floor and we rest our starters a few minutes. Down Griffin has changed our defensive nature. Q and Ice are needed more than ever. There is still time for the players/coaches to grow our great talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom