UConn @ Rice Owls (Saturday 10/7/23 @ 5p EDT. Game on ESPN+) | The Boneyard

UConn @ Rice Owls (Saturday 10/7/23 @ 5p EDT. Game on ESPN+)

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn's biggest weakness on defense is the secondary. Throw it down field and the success rate is extremely high. This is what Rice does very well. Not a good match up for us. Hope I am wrong, but Utah state picked us apart by attaching the weakest link. Stop the long ball and we could win, but i haven't seen the ability do so yet.

Reaction Score
I follow many of the TX teams. Have lots of friends who are or were HS coaches here. Some notes from me and them:

Rice's Record: 3-2 (3-0 @ home)
Wins over Houston in OT, Texas Southern, ECU. Losses to #3 Texas and USF. We'll ignore Texas and FCS Texas Southern from the stats since it'll skew the analysis.

Offense:
As most teams in CFB, they run a pro-style passing offense. And they love to pass. So much so, that it's a completely one dimensional offense. They already have two games this year with 400+ yards passing. 401 vs Houston. 435 vs USF. They are really bad at the run game. 1 yard vs USF (20 attempts). 37 vs ECU (20 attempts). 69 vs Houston (31 attempts). It's not clear if their bad run game is because of philosophy or personnel. Seems like both.

If you had a former P5 starter in JT Daniels (5-star recruit at USC, Georgia, and WV), you would pass a lot too. This team is built on passing. They want a shootout. Lots of spread or empty sets. Lots of play option. You'll always find the QB in shotgun. Expect to see a lot of deep shots. Did I mention they like to pass?

They have a star WR in Luke McCaffrey (yes, youngest brother of Christian McCaffrey) who avgs 18 yards per catch. Their second leading receiver is one of their RBs, Dean Connors. You'll see him motion or spread out a lot, often playing the safety valve, often with play option.

Their o-line is a weakness. Run blocking is a major weakness for them. While they've only given up 9 sacks as a unit, Daniels is constantly scrambling for his life. But his WRs are speedy and can get open. They know their scramble drills. Daniels is a really accurate QB with a good arm. And he's a veteran with over 7000 passing yards in college.

Defense:
They play a 4-3 base, "bend-but-don't-break" style defense. Their strengths are at LBs, specifically (Marcus Williams and Christ Conti) and S (Play Wyatt and Gabriel Taylor). Wyatt is more a hybrid LB/S. Those four account for a third of the team's tackles. They're a savvy, veteran group, having led the team in tackles from the previous year as well.

The other units are avg (d-line) to weak (CBs). Rice gives up 4-5 yards per run. As bad as they are against the run, good passing offenses are their biggest weakness. USF had 435 passing yards (Simmons on USF had 272 receiving yards). Houston had 260 passing yards. ECU had 246. Rice's DBs are prone to big chunk plays.

If Rice's defense wasn't so bad, they could content for the AAC title over Tulsa and Memphis.

Game plan:
After the USU game, where we rushed for 218 yards on 45 attempts, Rice will probably want to use the GAST game plan against us. Stuff the box and make us throw. We should. Not because it's what they want us to do, but because their passing defense is probably their biggest weakness. Could really use a big day from our X receiver, Porter. So a more even mix of running and passing is important. Our offense absolutely has to stay on the field longer than Rice's offense.

I remember Daniels when he was at Georgia. He's pretty good at reading defenses, both man and zone. He's good at finding pre-snap mismatches. Normally, I would say we need to mix up and disguise our defenses. But I don't know if we're at that level yet.

It's going to come down to the d-line putting pressure on Rice's o-line and Daniels. In their last game against ECU, Daniels looked pretty rattled as ECU linemen kept getting into the backfield. He can also be prone to inconsistency in general. Daniels isn't much of a runner, but he's a big QB at 240 lbs and I've seen him break out of a ton of tackles. We definitely have to be very sound on defense. Would like to see some zone and/or delayed blitzes against the Rice o-line. If we can screw up the timing between QB and WR, our chances of winning goes up dramatically.

McCaffery is Daniel's Jacobi Meyers -- the sure-handed guy who always seem to come down with the clutch 3rd down grab. But they also love running him in post routes, so always have a safety over the top on his side of the field and make the other WRs beat you.

Side note:
Will be at the game. Bought a dozen tickets + merch for neutral and football-newbie friends trying to get them to root for UConn as a second or even first team. Would love to see a win. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
UConn's biggest weakness on defense is the secondary. Throw it down field and the success rate is extremely high. This is what Rice does very well. Not a good match up for us. Hope I am wrong, but Utah state picked us apart by attaching the weakest link. Stop the long ball and we could win, but i haven't seen the ability do so yet.
I agree but I would also add that our lack of any pass rush certainly doesn't help our secondary.

Reaction Score
I follow many of the TX teams. Have lots of friends who are or were HS coaches here. Some notes from me and them:

Wins over Houston in OT, Texas Southern, ECU. Losses to #3 Texas and USF. We'll ignore Texas and FCS Texas Southern from the stats since it'll skew the analysis.

Offense:
As most teams in CFB, they run a pro-style passing offense. And they love to pass. So much so, that it's a completely one dimensional offense. They already have two games this year with 400+ yards passing. 401 vs Houston. 435 vs USF. They are really bad at the run game. 1 yard vs USF (20 attempts). 37 vs ECU (20 attempts). 69 vs Houston (31 attempts). It's not clear if their bad run game is because of philosophy or personnel. Seems like both.

If you had a former P5 starter in JT Daniels (5-star recruit at USC, Georgia, and WV), you would pass a lot too. This team is built on passing. They want a shootout. Lots of spread or empty sets. Lots of play option. You'll always find the QB in shotgun. Expect to see a lot of deep shots. Did I mention they like to pass?

They have a star WR in Luke McCaffrey (yes, youngest brother of Christian McCaffrey) who avgs 18 yards per catch. Their second leading receiver is one of their RBs, Dean Connors. You'll see him motion or spread out a lot, often playing the safety valve, often with play option.

Their o-line is a weakness. Run blocking is a major weakness for them. While they've only given up 9 sacks as a unit, Daniels is constantly scrambling for his life. But his WRs are speedy and can get open. They know their scramble drills. Daniels is a really accurate QB with a good arm. And he's a veteran with over 7000 passing yards in college.

Defense:
They play a 4-3 base, "bend-but-don't-break" style defense. Their strengths are at LBs, specifically (Marcus Williams and Christ Conti) and S (Play Wyatt and Gabriel Taylor). Wyatt is more a hybrid LB/S. Those four account for a third of the team's tackles. They're a savvy, veteran group, having led the team in tackles from the previous year as well.

The other units are avg (d-line) to weak (CBs). Rice gives up 4-5 yards per run. As bad as they are against the run, good passing offenses are their biggest weakness. USF had 435 passing yards (Simmons on USF had 272 receiving yards). Houston had 260 passing yards. ECU had 246. Rice's DBs are prone to big chunk plays.

If Rice's defense wasn't so bad, they could content for the AAC title over Tulsa and Memphis.

Game plan:
After the USU game, where we rushed for 218 yards on 45 attempts, Rice will probably want to use the GAST game plan against us. Stuff the box and make us throw. We should. Not because it's what they want us to do, but because their passing defense is probably their biggest weakness. Could really use a big day from our X receiver, Porter. So a more even mix of running and passing is important. Our offense absolutely has to stay on the field longer than Rice's offense.

I remember Daniels when he was at Georgia. He's pretty good at reading defenses, both man and zone. He's good at finding pre-snap mismatches. Normally, I would say we need to mix up and disguise our defenses. But I don't know if we're at that level yet.

It's going to come down to the d-line putting pressure on Rice's o-line and Daniels. In their last game against ECU, Daniels looked pretty rattled as ECU linemen kept getting into the backfield. He can also be prone to inconsistency in general. Daniels isn't much of a runner, but he's a big QB at 240 lbs and I've seen him break out of a ton of tackles. We definitely have to be very sound on defense. Would like to see some zone and/or delayed blitzes against the Rice o-line. If we can screw up the timing between QB and WR, our chances of winning goes up dramatically.

McCaffery is Daniel's Jacobi Meyers -- the sure-handed guy who always seem to come down with the clutch 3rd down grab. But they also love running him in post routes, so always have a safety over the top on his side of the field and make the other WRs beat you.

Side note:
Will be at the game. Bought a dozen tickets + merch for neutral and football-newbie friends trying to get them to root for UConn as a second or even first team. Would love to see a win. Go Huskies!
Thank you for your great scouting report.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I agree but I would also add that our lack of any pass rush certainly doesn't help our secondary.
Guess the team needs a crash course in bringing on the blitz this week. Then again the defense took out USU's starting QB, and they still got torched. Just please no BS holding calls.

Reaction Score

Offense:

Defense:

Game plan:

Side note:

Great write up!

The only way we stand a chance is if we can slow-grind out clock on offense (stay in bounds on runs and passes), and somehow get pressure on their QB and only let them have short-yardage passes. Have to somehow keep them in the 25-30 point range.

I'm not optimistic we can do that, but of course for now I have hope!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Offense:

Defense:

Game plan:

Side note:

If Daniels can run, or if he's willing to run, that will mess up UConn's defense. UConn hasn't shown it is capable of playing the pass and keep the QB from running for big gains.

Reaction Score
If Daniels can run, or if he's willing to run, that will mess up UConn's defense. UConn hasn't shown it is capable of playing the pass and keep the QB from running for big gains.
His strong tendency is to pass when a play breaks down. But if we're going to give him wide open running lanes, he will start to run to buy time for a WR to get open then throw. Most likely they know that UConn has issues with running QBs and QB containment in general, so maybe he'll run more.

Then again, there's a huge step down to the backup QB should Daniels get hurt. Which would effectively end their season. Unless you're Matt Patricia, coaches usually don't like to ask their players to deviate too far from their game.

UConn DBs need to be disciplined and stay with their man during scrambles. Lots of Rice's offense comes from broken plays especially from McCaffrey. Absolutely cannot let that guy get open.

Rice isn't a very deep team. Take away their best players and see if someone will step up.

Reaction Score
Guess the team needs a crash course in bringing on the blitz this week. Then again the defense took out USU's starting QB, and they still got torched. Just please no BS holding calls.
You do realize Legas was their starter the 1st 3 weeks until he had a disastrous start to the game right?

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
You do realize Legas was their starter the 1st 3 weeks until he had a disastrous start to the game right?
Haven't been able to watch the games (don't get CBSSN), so I've been listening to audio feeds when I'm not running around for the kids.

Reaction Score
They are going to shred our secondary.

It will not be close.

Anyone who says “but Vegas says” needs to take a long walk off of a short pier.

Reaction Score
Did we have injuries with our secondary last week? Saw a lot of #21 Mollette who I don't recall seeing much prior.

Reaction Score
Did we have injuries with our secondary last week? Saw a lot of #21 Mollette who I don't recall seeing much prior.
Lost DB Malik Dixon-Williams prior to ?halftime. Reported to be in concussion protocol but haven’t seen official confirmation (maybe tomorrow @ weekly media availability).

Reaction Score
Lost DB Malik Dixon-Williams prior to ?halftime. Reported to be in concussion protocol but haven’t seen official confirmation (maybe tomorrow @ weekly media availability).
Right, don't recall seeing much of Archie either unless he was bumped down on Depth chart that I don't recall.

Reaction Score
Appears Archie was out on Saturday:

Ok my eyes didn't deceive me. So it appears the secondary was somewhat shorthanded and some new guys were forced into action. No excuses, next man up, but there is a reason why they didn't seem to all be in sync communication wise.

Reaction Score
I just looked at the roster. Walker was listed at 5'11.7" 272 lbs last week. This week, he is listed at 6' 1.9" 267 lbs. So he grew 2 inches and lost 5 lbs? Seems odd.

Reaction Score
Made their backup QB look like Mahomes or Brady. Incredible amount of passing yardage in little more than a half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom