UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 44 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
How kids think about their school has changed dramatically in a short time. Gone are the days when a Coach can sit down with a 20 year old kid and talk about commitment and loyalty and patience. A kid like Cam with degree in hand might actually look at graduate offerings and see a program somewhere else that appeals to him, or maybe he didn't get into the graduate program he wanted at UConn. A different part of the country appeals to him, he met a girl, who knows? To speculate why he left without actually talking to him is an exercise in futility.

So, good luck Cam Ross, we'd have loved to see you finish in Husky Blue and White.

Reaction Score
My son went through this in undergrad. He ran D3 at a small college near Boston (Regis), and when he realized he could graduate in 3 years he went for it. Then he was almost done and was like "I don't really want to leave my friends - maybe I'll stay for my senior year". But academically there was nothing for him. They had grad programs, but not the one he needed. So he went to Evansville for grad school and ran there with his remaining eligibility. Sucked for Regis because he was their best runner by a mile, but was the right decision for my son.

Have to remember that even though there is a ton of money, etc, most of these kids won't be pros so the educational / future stuff matters.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This one hurts

Not really. There are literally hundreds of better WR's in college football and many are in the portal. His production is easily replaced. He never got to 80% of the receiver he was before injuries.

Now, as a human and a college kid, props to him for fighting back from the injuries and getting on the field. Always played hard and represented the university well.

Reaction Score
How kids think about their school has changed dramatically in a short time. Gone are the days when a Coach can sit down with a 20 year old kid and talk about commitment and loyalty and patience. A kid like Cam with degree in hand might actually look at graduate offerings and see a program somewhere else that appeals to him, or maybe he didn't get into the graduate program he wanted at UConn. A different part of the country appeals to him, he met a girl, who knows? To speculate why he left without actually talking to him is an exercise in futility.

So, good luck Cam Ross, we'd have loved to see you finish in Husky Blue and White.
You really believe that he would leave because of academics? If that is true, then he would not enter the portal lottery, but state to which school he was transferring. I also doubt that he would not get in to a graduate program at UConn either. Academics are meaningless in the transfer portal, just like in conference realignment.

Reaction Score
You really believe that he would leave because of academics? If that is true, then he would not enter the portal lottery, but state to which school he was transferring. I also doubt that he would not get in to a graduate program at UConn either. Academics are meaningless in the transfer portal, just like in conference realignment.
You can pick your new school in the portal... its not a lottery. If the school they want academically doesn't have football or doesnt want them for football they can still choose to go or not. And a school can reject them academically even if football wants them.

By no means is it a lottery

Reaction Score
You can pick your new school in the portal... its not a lottery. If the school they want academically doesn't have football or doesnt want them for football they can still choose to go or not. And a school can reject them academically even if football wants them.

By no means is it a lottery
Why would they go somewhere where their sport that they want is not offered? They would then have to pay tuition and fees, no? What happened with Joly? He chose Tennessee, but then they didn't choose him? Doesnt it kind of make it a lottery? What about those not chosen. What happens to them? Do they go back to the original school, or is the door exit only?

Reaction Score
Why would they go somewhere where their sport that they want is not offered? They would then have to pay tuition and fees, no? What happened with Joly? He chose Tennessee, but then they didn't choose him? Doesnt it kind of make it a lottery? What about those not chosen. What happens to them? Do they go back to the original school, or is the door exit only?
When a player is in the portal, a team can offer them a scholarship and a player can agree or not. It's the same as recruiting out of high school. A player must asked to be posted to the portal which tells other schools that they are available. If the player and their original school can agree, that player can exit the portal and go back to their original school.

Reaction Score
One thing our guys on the inside are good at is keeping hirings very close to the vest until the last moment. I'm expecting new hirings... Where? I don't know for sure... but, if I could guess: WR, OL (because we're losing our guy to another school... hope not though), ST, LB (love our guy, but, because of production at the position alone, it creates a question mark there)...

Might be over-speculation on my part, but, after all the suffering we've been through, what's wrong with a little speculating, right?

Reaction Score
It would not be the first time a UConn football player finished out their college career at a different school because they did not get into the grad program they wanted to at UConn

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
It would not be the first time a UConn football player finished out their college career at a different school because they did not get into the grad program they wanted to at UConn
Rehashing this - wasn't it that the grad school and Pennsylvania credits didn't match up. I heard he got in but it didn't match up credit wise.

Reaction Score
My message wasnt worded great. I was distracted by work. Haha. But the theme of it stands. Lottery is luck. Both entities are making a choice. If the choices don't align the kid doesnt go, but it still not a lottery.

Reaction Score

I don’t believe anything in particular. Just saying we have no idea why Cam is in the transfer portal, unless you spoke with him. I didn’t, did you?

Reaction Score
He may not know where he wants to be - but might have just felt that he ran his course at UCONN and staying here another year won't benefit him. Some people might know exactly where they are going - some people might not know where they are going, but know that they need a change. It happens. At least he has his degree in his pocket, so he is better off than many.

Reaction Score
I don't know him. My only reason for commenting was in reaction to the "husky for life" quote in his post. If someone wants to move on, fine. Just go. Don't give me "husky for life" BS. I wish him well othewise.

Reaction Score
I don't know him. My only reason for commenting was in reaction to the "husky for life" quote in his post. If someone wants to move on, fine. Just go. Don't give me "husky for life" BS. I wish him well othewise.
He was at UConn 5 years, stuck with us through the COVID year, two season ending injuries, a coaching change and got his degree. Yeah, I'd say that qualifies him for husky for life

Reaction Score
P
He was at UConn 5 years, stuck with us through the COVID year, two season ending injuries, a coaching change and got his degree. Yeah, I'd say that qualifies him for husky for life
The other thing to consider with these kids is that four letter word KIDS! Again, I don’t know if he has great parental support and guidance whether he has a mentor or a life coach to teach him how to handle the situation with political finesse, but so many of the quotes from these youngsters are just the words that are floating around on the Internet that they craft together in a quote.

I’ll go with How Sway and say Husky for life even though his actions don’t scream that out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom