UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
With respect to the current roster, it actually allows Jana to have a counterpart at center. And Ice and Ayanna to split time at the 4. And gives Geno lineup availability to test out Strong at both the 3 and 4 spots.
The current power forward, Bueckers, is upset that Geno is recruiting over her. She's not giving up that spot easily.

Reaction Score
People often confuse position with function. Every center (or any position) doesn't have the same skillset and depending on a team's offensive and defensive scheme/identity the person gets used in different ways. Beers is a traditional old school center...pound the paint, post with the back to the basket, screen, rebound, and protect the rim. Stef Dolson was the last I've seen at UCONN to fit this billing. You can take anyone to provide the functions I listed, but that doesn't make them a true center...and they more than likely won't have all these skills. I highlighted one skill that I always give top priority when identifying a "5". When you catch the ball in this position....you can see most of your surrounding outlets (shooters) and pass out of double and triple teams. Secondly, when you catch it...do you still know where the basket is....even though you can't see it? The best...don't have to find the basket after they turn around and face up. Beers has these skills at the 5.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Perhaps Jana is the future post player for UConn, but I think Geno needs to maximize talent over the next 1-2 years. He strongly wants to get a championship for Paige. She and Azzi will play at least 1 more season together, perhaps 2. But the window is small, so adding Beers, Iriafen, or some proven interior player is essential.

Reaction Score
The current power forward, Bueckers, is upset that Geno is recruiting over her. She's not giving up that spot easily.
Ms. Beers is (IMO) Paige's " spiritual" equal! It would be great to have them on the same squad for Paige's
last (?) year with the Huskies. Do we have an available car hood for the signature??

Reaction Score
"her mobility is limited"? Nothing could be further from the truth. I watched Raegan from courtside seats the last 2 years. Raegan is one of the most mobile BIGs to play College basketball in years. Best hands, great defender, great feet, great screener. Just great and mobile.
How do we know she has any interest in UConn. People are acting as if she has publicly stated such. They act like it’s already a done deal.

Reaction Score
They were recruited to play basketball. Not so hog-tied to one position. We;ve heard so much about positionless basketball and how much versatiltiy is a strength- so we shouldn't get so tied down by positions. This year again proved that.

Paige played power forward because of injuries not because of positionless basketball. A healthy roster and that doesn’t happen.

Reaction Score
Paige played power forward because of injuries not because of positionless basketball. A healthy roster and that doesn’t happen.
Paige played PF well enough for UCONN to get to FF and seconds away from Finals. It has nothing to do with why she played there- the fact is she played there and UCONN was so highly successful despite having a short bench and despite having so many freshmen highlights that basketball players are more important rather than focusing on position. The winning shows that the position didn’t matter.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. . . . Not Jana and not Ice?
Nope, I’m sure they will soon. Q just followed her about 30 mins ago. Also I don’t think it’s that deep. Some of them aren’t that active on social media. Azzi hasn’t followed any of the recruits including Sarah and posted today on her story with Geno for the first time in months.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I hate to pour cold water on the idea of Reagan Beers to UConn, but after watching her play a few times, she really doesn’t fit well with the Huskies style of play. She’s obviously a big, strong kid who can bang with opposing post players in the paint and set some serious screens. But her mobility is limited.

I’m not sure she’s the post player you want on the floor to run UConn’s motion offense. I could be wrong, but I would pursue Kaitlin Weimer from Boston U before Beers.
Man, this hard for me to do OL dude. She reminds me of Jokic from Denver. She is a great passer out of the post, handles double teams wells, great with either hand and a good reboinder.

If SC can run with Cardozo, UConn can run with Baers. JMHO

Reaction Score
Part of the greatness of Geno is that he comes up with a game plan that fits the personal on the team and not necessarily have the players adjust to a certain style and only one. When UConn had 3 post players (Dolson, Stewie and Stokes), Geno found the way to play all 3 at the same time. When UConn had a great shot blocker, the game plan was to funnel the opposing players toward the shot blocker. This past season there was no great shot Bloker on the team (Paige being the best) so the team was switching on everything, etc.
If we are so lucky to have Beers at UConn, Geno will have the game plan to maximize her abilities (and she's got a lot of those).

Reaction Score
Granted I've only watched some highlights, but I didn't see Beers play a lot of defense. She would be a great addition in the post just being a presence and she's obviously a great offensive player and rebounder, but there was a lot of standing around on defense and players going right around her. She'd need to work on that. I think UConn needs more defensive help at the 4 and 5 positions as much as anything else.

Reaction Score
Granted I've only watched some highlights, but I didn't see Beers play a lot of defense. She would be a great addition in the post just being a presence and she's obviously a great offensive player and rebounder, but there was a lot of standing around on defense and players going right around her. She'd need to work on that. I think UConn needs more defensive help at the 4 and 5 positions as much as anything else.
Which is why coaches have this thing called practice. She’s just completed her sophomore year. Geno knows better than all of us, she won’t play if doesn’t play defense. But last time I checked she had at least 3 blocks against South Carolina compared to our 1-2 as an entire team against them.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Remember the article earlier this season when Geno talked about the then current state of the roster, how the puzzle pieces fit, that the puzzle was smashed with all the injuries, and that he and the staff had to completely remake the puzzle? I think that he does that with the roster, looking at the present, and then projecting the future.

In my work days, we used to call that a MGPP, or multi-generational product plan. He’s probably got a 1-3-5 year look at potential rosters based on who is currently here, who we know is coming, and then looks at all the potential recuits to see how they fit it. An added dimension of this is the transfer portal, where you can have a grad transfer for one year, or a undergrad for 2+ years. The former will add some experience and leadership for one year, and the latter will pretty much be a normal roster spot, one which will affect the next 2+ years of recruiting.

As much as both the portal and recruiting activities are exciting, I'm learning not to get too caught up in it all. However, I'd love to sit in on a masterclass by Geno of how he envisioned the roster over a number of years.

On edit - and, I'll bet that part of the recruiting is also how the player interacts with the current group. There's a strong sense of family and togetherness that is incredibly important in this program.

Reaction Score
Which is why coaches have this thing called practice. She’s just completed her sophomore year. Geno knows better than all of us, she won’t play if doesn’t play defense. But last time I checked she had at least 3 blocks against South Carolina compared to our 1-2 as an entire team against them.

Thanks, I didn't know that practice existed.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Jana is the future post player for UConn, but I think Geno needs to maximize talent over the next 1-2 years. He strongly wants to get a championship for Paige. She and Azzi will play at least 1 more season together, perhaps 2. But the window is small, so adding Beers, Iriafen, or some proven interior player is essential.
Your point is spot on about getting a championship while Paige is here. Geno loves Paige and you know (because he's said it) that he wants her to win one badly.

In regards to transfer portal, if Geno thinks Beers is good enough I don't have any issues with it. There aren't any Griners or Cardosos out there. The other thing is just because Uconn may want them they have to reciprocate so we can only guess whats happening behind the scenes with some of the other bigs in the portal.

Lastly, I think given the myriad of players coming back from injury, Geno and Co. need to have skilled bodies, not just bodies that are here for mop up duty. As we've seen before there is never any guarantees that those coming back from injury will be 100% or re-injure, and those we weren't injured could get injured, knock on wood. I know this is being overly pessimistic, but I if we can land Beers it gives us a solid low post presence and a solid rebounder. This also takes a high quality player off the roster of another team. South Carolina has really done a great job getting the right transfers at the right time, but also taking a real big time player from going to a competitor (case in point Cardoso & Tehina P)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Oops, and I forgot this in my post above -

Based on how deep UConn thought they'd be in June, before the Jana thing, then the Caroline thing, then Ayanna, then Azzi ....

I'd like to think that the coaches and players are all embracing the concept that we need everyone to contribute, everybody "will eat" in order to reach the team goals. Think about it - if Stewie and MoJeff got to the W without playing 40 MPG, then current players can do it too.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Making blocks is not the real measure of a good defensive player. Can she keep the player she is guarding in front of her and stay between her and the basket. Also, can she stop the other player from doing what she is attempting to do such as pass, getting to a certain spot or score? Some players block shots simply because they are tall.

Reaction Score
But I saw in some of those highlights.(see other posts)... one massive, blocked shot.... and countless views of
Ms. Beers defending some SIGNIFICANT PAC 12 players (one on one, in the paint). Did you recognize
A. Pilli (from UTAH) among other PAC 12 forward and post players? Another historical fact.= Raegan
was the PAC 12 Freshman of the Year and she also won the 6th Player Award in the PAC 12 during
that same season. Just think of ASHLYNN SHADE, who was the Big East Freshman Player of the Year, of course,.... and
add that Ms. Beers was also named the BIG EAST 6th Player award winner in the PAC 12 (as a Freshman ).
(Ash was not the # 6 player, I know, but Ash is
a very good defender with, I believe, the lowest amounts of fouls for the Huskies). "Standing
around on defense?" When a certain player is the highest scorer on the team (OSU that is)
at 17.5 ppg and the # 1 rebounder, I think Geno can dream up a defensive scheme to help keep
her on the floor!!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i am sure the team would be refreshed by having beers throughout the upcoming season. it'd help them get through tough practices and games.

note that the beers repeatedly mentioned here is not REAgan --- like the '80s prez -- but RAEgan. i never have run across that name before and am curious whether anyone knows its origins.

i know it's easy to make goofs, but i implore posters to show proper respect and spell 'raegan' right if she does become a husky. i get irritated still when someone named stephanie is mentioned -- perhaps it's a reference to stefanie dolson.

and then there's nike ... who the heck is that?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oops, and I forgot this in my post above -

Based on how deep UConn thought they'd be in June, before the Jana thing, then the Caroline thing, then Ayanna, then Azzi ....

I'd like to think that the coaches and players are all embracing the concept that we need everyone to contribute, everybody "will eat" in order to reach the team goals. Think about it - if Stewie and MoJeff got to the W without playing 40 MPG, then current players can do it too.
Absolutely bench is needed more but it also still comes down to the stars. In 14-15 title game vs Notre Dame - Tuck, KML and MoJeff played 40 minutes. Stewie played 39 (Nurse 28 and Stokes 10 and Gabby 3). And Notre Dame had PG Allen play 40, Loyd 38, Turner 37 and Reimer 33.

Its the stars that win you the big games. They just need some breaks leading up the enormous big games. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom