UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don’t get me wrong. If Beers wants to transfer to UConn, I’m more than happy to have an experienced Big on the roster. But in all honesty, I would view Beers as a placeholder until Jana is ready to take over the post position.
Yup. This is my view too. Maybe it’s irrational optimism on my part but I can’t help seeing Jana as the future of the frontcourt.

Reaction Score
She is most likely staying put at Stanford. She is an academic kid. She isn't going to spend 3 yrs at Stanford and then get a degree from another school because she transfered for basketball.
She's likely negotiating a deal with Stanford to be able to keep her frequent flyer points before making a final decision..........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I hate to pour cold water on the idea of Reagan Beers to UConn, but after watching her play a few times, she really doesn’t fit well with the Huskies style of play. She’s obviously a big, strong kid who can bang with opposing post players in the paint and set some serious screens. But her mobility is limited.

I’m not sure she’s the post player you want on the floor to run UConn’s motion offense. I could be wrong, but I would pursue Kaitlin Weimer from Boston U before Beers.
"her mobility is limited"? Nothing could be further from the truth. I watched Raegan from courtside seats the last 2 years. Raegan is one of the most mobile BIGs to play College basketball in years. Best hands, great defender, great feet, great screener. Just great and mobile.

Reaction Score
"her mobility is limited"? Nothing could be further from the truth. I watched Raegan from courtside seats the last 2 years. Raegan is one of the most mobile BIGs to play College basketball in years. Best hands, great defender, great feet, great screener. Just great and mobile.
That’s good to hear, I have all of the west coast channels to watch the pac teams but didn’t follow her too closely. From the highlights though, she looks great to me and I am not sure why anyone would see any negatives with her being here. And we have the best coaching staff so I believe she will look even better here.

Reaction Score
Agreed! Her frosh season I watched her limitedly but thought she was good. This season, I watched the majority of their games. She is the best big in the country in my opinion. And very mobile. If she did choose to go to UConn, UConn would move quickly to my pick for favorite to win next year. She is that good — that she would put UConn at a different level than they’re currently at, particularly given that a solid big would help.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking Geno will try for Timea Gardiner for his "big", and that 15th spot he'll go for Lucy Olsen, too much value to pass up with her.
I like Timea but Lucy has similar skill sets as our current and future guards. He should get an athletic wing or a big.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here’s how Raegan did against the better teams on OSU’s schedule

817AD44B-0A79-4851-9F95-146B94ACB4B3.jpeg

Reaction Score
Steph’s improvement from HS through her career at UConn was extraordinary. She completely remade her body, substantially improving her fitness level. Steph was also a much smoother player than Beers.

Beers just completed her sophomore season in college. How much she’s capable of improving in the next two seasons while learning a new system remains to be seen.

Don’t get me wrong. If Beers wants to transfer to UConn, I’m more than happy to have an experienced Big on the roster. But in all honesty, I would view Beers as a placeholder until Jana is ready to take over the post position.

Ya'll are killing me.......... We need a big. WE NEED A BIG! A big goes in the portal, an All-American at that. Yea... I don't know if she'll fit the system. Let's fine someone else.

Reaction Score
Stephanie Dolson wasn't the fleet of foot when she played either. She is a presence in the paint. good hands and can pass out of the post.

Reaction Score
Not to mention that like AE she comes fully equipped with her own face mask.

Reaction Score
Transfer portal is overloaded with guards. Do we really need another shooting or PG? Play "small ball". As far as forwards and wings we will have Brady, Patterson, Griffin and #1 recruit,Strong to help El Alfy at C. Fine, the response there is do we know how healthy Griffin and Patterson will be? Then is El Alfy "tested" at Div I? So we could use another big. I hear you. But of who is available do they fit into the UConnt"standard"? I think UConn should stay with what it's got. It seems everyone has visions of a Lou and Dorka coming in. I don't see it. Unless things change on the recovery of the injured players that we are not aware of I see nothing in the portal that will be of significant value to this team next season.

Reaction Score
I hate to pour cold water on the idea of Reagan Beers to UConn, but after watching her play a few times, she really doesn’t fit well with the Huskies style of play. She’s obviously a big, strong kid who can bang with opposing post players in the paint and set some serious screens. But her mobility is limited.

I’m not sure she’s the post player you want on the floor to run UConn’s motion offense. I could be wrong, but I would pursue Kaitlin Weimer from Boston U before Beers.
Reagan Beers was the starting center for an excellent OSU team this year. In the NCAA tournament they beat
Eastern Washington 73- 51, then Nebraska 61 -59, followed by beating Notre Dame 71 -56!! and finally
meeting their match in "lowly" SOUTH CAROLINA 70 -58. So, she helped lead a good team to a wonderful
GREAT EIGHT finish. I see only an upside to her possible joining the HUSKIE "FAMILY". Read her note to
the Beaver fans in one of the threads above.... watch again her skills in that H.S. clip of her against "ICE".
If she "connects" with the vibes and spirit of our team and the UCONN/Huskie culture... it will be a great
dynamic. GO REAGAN!!! Check out Storrs and the HUSKIES!! Your Prayers will be answered... ask Paige!!!

Reaction Score
Transfer portal is overloaded with guards. Do we really need another shooting or PG? Play "small ball". As far as forwards and wings we will have Brady, Patterson, Griffin and #1 recruit,Strong to help El Alfy at C. Fine, the response there is do we know how healthy Griffin and Patterson will be? Then is El Alfy "tested" at Div I? So we could use another big. I hear you. But of who is available do they fit into the UConnt"standard"? I think UConn should stay with what it's got. It seems everyone has visions of a Lou and Dorka coming in. I don't see it. Unless things change on the recovery of the injured players that we are not aware of I see nothing in the portal that will be of significant value to this team next season.
Mea culpa. Wrong thread. The above belongs in the portal thread.

Reaction Score
Steph’s improvement from HS through her career at UConn was extraordinary. She completely remade her body, substantially improving her fitness level. Steph was also a much smoother player than Beers.

Beers just completed her sophomore season in college. How much she’s capable of improving in the next two seasons while learning a new system remains to be seen.

A very fine Raegan Beers tape.... Did you see that stuff down block? Very mobile! and player that
that get things done that Raegan did in the clips from the OSU vs Standford game (watch the tape)
gets my vote. UCONN has a very good, as yet undeveloped/inexperienced forward BIG lineup.
Raegan is talented, tested, and has the game (PAC12 conference) and tournament (NCAA) experience to
help Paige get her NC, and Geno his elusive #12. I hope sees her way to UCONN.

Reaction Score
Not to mention that like AE she comes fully equipped with her own face mask.
Some of the moves that Raegan Beers displayed on the thread/tapes (above, other threads) reminded me
of Aaliyah Edwards...... and those highlights were, of course, of Raegan as a Sophomore!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The issues with athleticism for post players in Geno's motion offense is very different from wings and guards - if they are not shooting threes, the move in quite a restricted area mostly within 3 feet of the lane occasionally moving as far as the arc to set screens.

Where the speed and quickness of posts most effects the team is on defense and the way the team manages screens. When the posts are supremely mobile, they switch everything, when they aren't they hedge. Dolson was a hedger, Stewart was a switcher.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Ya'll are killing me.......... We need a big. WE NEED A BIG! A big goes in the portal, an All-American at that. Yea... I don't know if she'll fit the system. Let's fine someone else.
Reagan is a force. She's a Paige/Nika caliber leader and often carried OSU on her back.
Very coordinated athlete, no butterfingers, makes her layups, hard to move around in the post. Team oriented and very willing to be coached to expand her game.

Some other thoughts:

UConn to aac. That was a bit different because the communication was very clear to the team. We go from broken big east to broken aac. We will win the conference, schedule 10 games against power 5 stars and compete for NCAA title.

The PAC was really an unexpected meltdown. Sad and ironic that arguably the strongest and most historic conference was the one to fold. I thought coach Rueck might be able to keep the band together - win wcc, compete for title, but portal makes it easy to go now. Once the first one leaves, all the others have less reason to stay.

Lastly - portal 'do not contact' just means player prefers to reach out to schools, instead of getting bombarded with contacts. Useful if player has 2-3 schools they are specifically interested in.

Reaction Score
I’m chuckling at your comment because it‘s clearly a description of the BY residents. And so I‘ve learned that sometimes it’s best to just read, smile, and move on.

Reaction Score
I’ll just say this, the boneyard has been begging for a big for years. Beers was an AA, averaged a double double, was 2nd in the nation in FG%, and is a true 6-4 center. She even played well against the top teams in the PAC 12 and NCAAT. Seems to fit all of the criteria we are looking for. Can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t be excited about this possibility.

With two years of eligibility, she won’t mess with the flow of high school recruiting, and would lock down the post for the next two years. Beers, Strong, and Fudd would make for a great trio to stem the tide post Buckers.

With respect to the current roster, it actually allows Jana to have a counterpart at center. And Ice and Ayanna to split time at the 4. And gives Geno lineup availability to test out Strong at both the 3 and 4 spots.

If she’s interested, vibes with the team and staff, it seems like a win win to me. You aren’t going to find many or possibly any better players in the portal.

Reaction Score
I’ll just say this, the boneyard has been begging for a big for years. Beers was an AA, averaged a double double, was 2nd in the nation in FG%, and is a true 6-4 center. She even played well against the top teams in the PAC 12 and NCAAT. Seems to fit all of the criteria we are looking for. Can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t be excited about this possibility.

With two years of eligibility, she won’t mess with the flow of high school recruiting, and would lock down the post for the next two years. Beers, Strong, and Fudd would make for a great trio to stem the tide post Buckers.

With respect to the current roster, it actually allows Jana to have a counterpart at center. And Ice and Ayanna to split time at the 4. And gives Geno lineup availability to test out Strong at both the 3 and 4 spots.

If she’s interested, vibes with the team and staff, it seems like a win win to me. You aren’t going to find many or possibly any better players in the portal.

Exactly this. It seems everyone would have a back-up and play in the positions they were recruited to play

Reaction Score
The UConn fans on Twitter are putting a bad light on any potential transfers coming here, and I would implore any of you to not engage with it. There are many people posting about Beers’ potential political affiliation, and while I understand where they are coming from, people also must understand that at her age, much of one’s belief system is grounded in where they were raised. Exposure to new ideas, people, and cultures is what helps us to continually grow and evolve. Beers played on a diverse team at OSU and by all accounts is an exceptional teammate and person. To make assumptions about someone’s character, and to go through life thinking people are the sum total of what you see would be a shame.

Reaction Score
Exactly this. It seems everyone would have a back-up and play in the positions they were recruited to play
They were recruited to play basketball. Not so hog-tied to one position. We;ve heard so much about positionless basketball and how much versatiltiy is a strength- so we shouldn't get so tied down by positions. This year again proved that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom