UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen any interest in Morgan Chelli‘s teammate McKenna Woliczko. In all the videos of Morgan, she seems to be the other really good player on that team and only being a sophomore. She should just get better. She may also grow another inch to fill out at 6feet 3inches. She appears to have a real high motor and seems to be in the right spot at the right time.
She is a POI..Class of 2026 on posted list..
Not only the "other really good player," but (I believe) was the POY in their league this year as a Sophomore!
Would love to see her head east to Storrs !

Reaction Score
I like Clara Stack from Va Tech if a big is to be acquired from the transfer portal. Looked quite impressive as heir apparent to Kitley and plenty of years to go. Unless of course she is planning to follow her old coach.

Reaction Score
She is a POI..Class of 2026 on posted list..
Not only the "other really good player," but (I believe) was the POY in their league this year as a Sophomore!
Would love to see her head east to Storrs !
One of the top 5 players in her class
Her ceiling is very high

Reaction Score
I don't see Auriemma recruiting over the 4 very good young guards he already has, two sophs and two freshman. And Olson isn't going to be looking for a place to share PT with Bueckers, Fudd, Shade, and Arnold. She'll be the lead guard someplace.
I think it’s unlikely, too. But I can also see why Geno might give it a thought. After all, he has to replace a veteran playmaker at pg, and Lucy is a proven commodity. And she has fire in her eyes like Nika. Is there a motivator on the current roster? Paige has said she wants to take on this role. But having a second fire breather might be quite useful.

Reaction Score
As much as I like what Lucy Olsen brings to the table, I don’t see this happening. Given Geno’s close relationship with Harry Paretta as well as Denise Dillon, in my opinion, it would seem like rubbing salt in the wound by taking her. The only way he would take her would be by Harry and Denise’s blessing.

Reaction Score
Curious why there is so much focus on recruiting a guard, with shooting guards mentioned the most. Huskies have 6 strong guards led by the 2024-25 best guard in the US, Paige, who will continue to demand major minutes. We also have strong wings coming in or back in Q, Cheli, and Griffin, allowing Geno to go with a small forward instead of a 3 guard lineup as needed. While I expect Ice's knee to have fully healed and Strong to contribute immediately, the other UConn bigs are coming off major injuries. Seems like a big who is a strong defender and rebounder, while more difficult to find, would add a lot.

Reaction Score
Curious why there is so much focus on recruiting a guard, with shooting guards mentioned the most. Huskies have 6 strong guards led by the 2024-25 best guard in the US, Paige, who will continue to demand major minutes. We also have strong wings coming in or back in Q, Cheli, and Griffin, allowing Geno to go with a small forward instead of a 3 guard lineup as needed. While I expect Ice's knee to have fully healed and Strong to contribute immediately, the other UConn bigs are coming off major injuries. Seems like a big who is a strong defender and rebounder, while more difficult to find, would add a lot.
Agree completely.. as the saying goes..

Go BIG or stay home..!

Reaction Score
Nobody can say for sure anything about Azzi or Caroline with any certainty .And looking at the team - other than Paige and whenever Aubrey comes back -- they have very little experience.

And we saw last year that a small team can be extremely successful. Heck before our own eyes Nika Muhl extremely elevated her game I believe even if she wasn't a scorer. That's what seniors can do.

So, if the guard is quite a bit better than nay Big- and the gurad is sort of physical-- why shy away from very good baskteball players in which we know size isn't everything? Unless anyone thinks Iowa the past 2 years- and this year UCONN were utter failures? And why can't we get both a guard and a Big if that is the point?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nobody can say for sure anything about Azzi or Caroline with any certainty .And looking at the team - other than Paige and whenever Aubrey comes back -- they have very little experience.

And we saw last year that a small team can be extremely successful. Heck before our own eyes Nika Muhl extremely elevated her game I believe even if she wasn't a scorer. That's what seniors can do.

So, if the guard is quite a bit better than nay Big- and the gurad is sort of physical-- why shy away from very good baskteball players in which we know size isn't everything? Unless anyone thinks Iowa the past 2 years- and this year UCONN were utter failures? And why can't we get both a guard and a Big if that is the point?
Even without Carol and Azzi we still have plenty of guards. Paige, KK, Ash, Allie. Morgan. Sarah Strong has guard skills. We have one center that is an even biggger mystery than Azzi and Carol because no one has ever seen her play against D1 competition. There is no argument in my mind to be getting a guard out of the portal over a big.

Reaction Score
IMHO if UConn isn't focusing on size in the post then we're right back where we started. In truth, we need bangers, dogs on the boards. So what she's a good outside shooter, competing with SCARO, UCLA, TEXAS, etc., and the like will require us winning the rebounding battle. Every year it's the same unaddressed issue. Our championship teams have all been great, if not competitive, rebounding teams. You want outside shooting? That's why we have a million guards who are great at it.
And while tall is good, like 6'6, what will it benefit us if they are timid or unwilling to get physical? Wasn't that the issue with someone of size who just entered the portal? Feagin(?), Watkins, Kitts, and I'm sure Edwards, Walker and Tac won't be timid, nor are they focused on standing out there by the three-point line to take a jumper. I miss the days of Steph, Stewie, Stokes, and Tuck, with some combination of the 2 on the floor most of the time. None were timid and they controlled the paint. I hope he taps back into the models that worked. We need another, at least one more, big that will get in there and mix it up to back up Jana. Go Huskies!
Yes being physical is important but I assume you know that the advantage of a good shooting post is that she has to be accounted for on defense........the opposing post has to cover her and is thus pulled away from the basket limiting her effectiveness as a shot blocker and rebounder.........nothing worse than a post that can be left on the foul line unguarded because she simply can't shoot.........I have no idea if Davis has the kind of shot to demand respect on defense........if she already had it I don't know why she's not playing big time DI ball already

Reaction Score
I think the best way to replace 6’6 is with 6’6. Pania Davis has the height and mobility. I think she’d be a great addition.

She's improved markedly from the '22 video that's online..........I still haven't seen enough to judge if she'd be able to help UConn

Reaction Score
Yes being physical is important but I assume you know that the advantage of a good shooting post is that she has to be accounted for on defense........the opposing post has to cover her and is thus pulled away from the basket limiting her effectiveness as a shot blocker and rebounder.........nothing worse than a post that can be left on the foul line unguarded because she simply can't shoot.........I have no idea if Davis has the kind of shot to demand respect on defense........if she already had it I don't know why she's not playing big time DI ball already
If she has a halfway decent free-throw line jumper it'll be enough. Think Steph Dolson. Consistent free-throw line jumper, size n girth, hard to displace, and excellent passer with ability to finish around the rim when contested. Think Beers of Or. St. for body type comparison. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Hsu declared for the WNBA, I believe

Abbey Hsu starts in All-Star Game prior to upcoming WNBA draft

The WNBA draft will take place on April 15 at the Brooklyn Academy of Music at 7:30 p.m. and coverage will be on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Agree completely.. as the saying goes..

Go BIG or stay home..!
"Go fast or go home" seems to be the mantra for this era. Quicker athletic players have been carving us up.

Reactions: PvP
Reaction Score
If she has a halfway decent free-throw line jumper it'll be enough. Think Steph Dolson. Consistent free-throw line jumper, size n girth, hard to displace, and excellent passer with ability to finish around the rim when contested. Think Beers of Or. St. for body type comparison. Go Huskies!
even though Davis has improved she's no Beers who can be something of a banger and has a fairly sophisticated offensive game......Beers would be the ideal portal pickup for UConn.....

Reaction Score
She's improved markedly from the '22 video that's online..........I still haven't seen enough to judge if she'd be able to help UConn

Coach Valley followed for a reason, so I’m guessing she or someone on the Coaching staff feels differently.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No UConn

E21823AB-1978-49FC-94EC-2D58D34AA75A.jpeg

Reaction Score
I don't see Auriemma recruiting over the 4 very good young guards he already has, two sophs and two freshman. And Olson isn't going to be looking for a place to share PT with Bueckers, Fudd, Shade, and Arnold. She'll be the lead guard someplace.
Amen. No bona fide starting guard/wing from a top 10 conference is going to come to UConn to sit on the bench when they can go to a Top 50 NET program and start. We need big depth - center and power forward. The young lady from BU (can't think of her name right now) would be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom