UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boy! Notre Dame is building a monster team over there! If Koval can rise to the occasion and Miles is 100%, they are going to be a real problem! When was the last time there were this many “elite“ teams going into the season? I consider SC, UConn, USC, Notre Dame, UCLA, Texas, and LSU (slight separation) to all be very capable of winning the championship next season! Then you have Duke, NC State, and possibly Oklahoma as dark horses. Throw in the usual one or two surprise teams that appear every year and we’re looking at one of the most competitive seasons in years!

Furthermore, all of these teams are not just flash in the pan teams but seem to be built to last for a while and looking further out on the horizon there are imo several other teams that seem poised to step up in class over the next couple of years as well! Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, NC, and potentially, Arizona all have either big time recruits or transfers coming in or are simply maturing with young or injured players who are likely to improve with time and experience.

Odd woman out? Stanford & Baylor both seem to be sitting on the proverbial fence! Which way will they fall? Will they right the ship and return to their accustomed position as powerhouses or have we seen the last of them for awhile? Can Banghart finally get North Carolina over the hump and show some results with her highly rated recruiting classes? Will Jeff Walz get his team back on the upswing? Can the new Tennessee coach return the Lady Vols to glory? And most crucially for me as a diehard Shea Ralph fan, can she continue with her excellent rebuilding job at Vandy? So many questions!

Macy is on the clock. Do we get a third player in the ’25 class or is it back to waiting for Somfai and/or McGaughy? Stay tuned!

Reaction Score
Boy! Notre Dame is building a monster team over there! If Koval can rise to the occasion and Miles is 100%, they are going to be a real problem! When was the last time there were this many “elite“ teams going into the season? I consider SC, UConn, USC, Notre Dame, UCLA, Texas, and LSU (slight separation) to all be very capable of winning the championship next season! Then you have Duke, NC State, and possibly Oklahoma as dark horses. Throw in the usual one or two surprise teams that appear every year and we’re looking at one of the most competitive seasons in years!

Furthermore, all of these teams are not just flash in the pan teams but seem to be built to last for a while and looking further out on the horizon there are imo several other teams that seem poised to step up in class over the next couple of years as well! Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, NC, and potentially, Arizona all have either big time recruits or transfers coming in or are simply maturing with young or injured players who are likely to improve with time and experience.

Odd woman out? Stanford & Baylor both seem to be sitting on the proverbial fence! Which way will they fall? Will they right the ship and return to their accustomed position as powerhouses or have we seen the last of them for awhile? Can Banghart finally get North Carolina over the hump and show some results with her highly rated recruiting classes? Will Jeff Walz get his team back on the upswing? Can the new Tennessee coach return the Lady Vols to glory? And most crucially for me as a diehard Shea Ralph fan, can she continue with her excellent rebuilding job at Vandy? So many questions!

Macy is on the clock. Do we get a third player in the ’25 class or is it back to waiting for Somfai and/or McGaughy? Stay tuned!
It will be Somfai.

Reaction Score
I personally still think a backup center would be a good idea,...A Dauda or Natabou decided yet, or is Natabou not UConn material, even for one year backup?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Karlen: Marquette to N.D. Humm. The Irish are looking "to be a Contender" On The
Waterfront, of course). Wasn't that Karl Malden (sp) in the backseat of that car with
M. B.??
Uhm, that was Rod Steiger in the back of the taxi, who played Marlon Brando’s brother. Karl Malden played the role of the local parish priest in On The Waterfront.

Reaction Score
I think Geno is done with the portal for this season. There aren’t any difference makers left out there who would fit his system, and I doubt he’ll remake the team to accommodate a one or two year player at the cost of recruiting credibility. The Huskies are big enough.

What about the injury bug? The answer is right in front of us: he’ll play a deeper rotation than normal. He has the talent to build a contender in more than one way with this bunch. 80 frontcourt minutes to divide among 5 or 6 very talented kids. I think he’s got this covered.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Leah Macy #14 class of 2025 has announced her top 4 Kentucky LVille ND and UConn. She will be making her announcement tomorrow 4pm ET.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Macy, McGaughey, and Somfai. Which, if any, do we get? Do we have space for 2 or 3 of them? How do they compare with Ice and Ayanna?

Macy has narrowed her list to 4, including UConn, and will announce this afternoon. I wouldn't call Leah especially athletic, but her shooting percentages are crazy good. N.D. has had too much success in the portal of late, so I hope Leah doesn't go in that direction. My wild guess is Louisville, though UConn is a real possibility.

McGaughey has said that UConn is her dream school. We are still on her list. It was unclear to many of us as to whether she actually had an offer. Nan's list says that she does, so I'll go with that. If Macy chooses UConn, Brynn goes elsewhere.

Somfai's social media strongly suggests UConn, plus she plays with Kelis Fisher. Though it's not certain, I think we get Lara.

We already have Gandy and Kelis coming in. How much more room is there? We know that Kaitlyn will leave and Aubrey most likely will, assuming she plays at all. How will Caroline fare? What will Paige and Azzi do? It's an interesting situation.

Reaction Score
He has the talent to build a contender in more than one way with this bunch. 80 frontcourt minutes to divide among 5 or 6 very talented kids. I think he’s got this covered.
Playing Paige at PF for another season is not the answer. You've lost a tenacious defender in Nika who was capable of single-handedly shutting down or slowing down the best of the best on any team, so now THAT also has to be addressed in addition to the lack of interior size for teams with multiple big space eaters. KK is a pest on defense, but she's no Nika.

There are only question marks in Jana (zero collegiate minutes), Ayanna (inconsistent freshman year), and Ice (three solid games all year mixed in with 10+ where she looked scared that the ball might get passed to her). Sarah Strong is not playing center. Aubrey (points for spelling correctly please) is not playing center, even if she fully recovers. We all wish, hope and pray that Jana is as good as advertised but it feels like groundhog day all over again after living through the hype/disappointment cycle of Ayanna and Ice.

Reaction Score
Macy, McGaughey, and Somfai. Which, if any, do we get? Do we have space for 2 or 3 of them? How do they compare with Ice and Ayanna?

Macy has narrowed her list to 4, including UConn, and will announce this afternoon. I wouldn't call Leah especially athletic, but her shooting percentages are crazy good. N.D. has had too much success in the portal of late, so I hope Leah doesn't go in that direction. My wild guess is Louisville, though UConn is a real possibility.

McGaughey has said that UConn is her dream school. We are still on her list. It was unclear to many of us as to whether she actually had an offer. Nan's list says that she does, so I'll go with that. If Macy chooses UConn, Brynn goes elsewhere.

Somfai's social media strongly suggests UConn, plus she plays with Kelis Fisher. Though it's not certain, I think we get Lara.

We already have Gandy and Kelis coming in. How much more room is there? We know that Kaitlyn will leave and Aubrey most likely will, assuming she plays at all. How will Caroline fare? What will Paige and Azzi do? It's an interesting situation.

If the 15th roster spot stays open and Aubrey, Kaitlyn & Paige all leave (which is all but likely), that’d leave 4 spots. With Gandy and Kelis already committed, there’d be 2 spots open, which would allow UConn at max 2 more signees for ‘25.

If the last spot so happens to get taken by someone with more than one year eligibility, there’d be only spot for a ‘25 signee (not including Caroline and Azzi who both redshirted, but would be draft eligible).

I would take any variation of two of the three of Macy, McGaughy and Somfai. I also like Aaliyah Crump and Zakiyah Johnson.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
I'd love for Macy to choose us but if not, I'd rather have her sign with Louisville instead. It scares me though because she looks like a ND kind of player. Not even sure if there's an offer out to McGaughey. My gut tells me Brynn is headed to Iowa. Kinda reminds me of another talented player whose dream school was also UConn and after not receiving any offer went on to have a record-breaking career with the Hawks. Can't remember her name...

As far as Somfai goes, no such thing as a lock. She talked about her dad's love for Stanford at length on one of the podcasts I listened to and how he was super hyped to go with his daughter when/if she visits the Farm. Not sure if the new coach will change his enthusiasm. Now, I'd be super excited if we can sign any one (or two if there's room) of the three but...if coach can land only one I really hope it's Lara.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd love for Macy to choose us but if not, I'd rather have her sign with Louisville instead. It scares me though because she looks like a ND kind of player. Not even sure if there's an offer out to McGaughey. My gut tells me that Brynn is headed to Iowa. Kinda reminds me of another talented player whose dream school was also UConn and after not receiving any offer went on to have a record breaking career with the Hawks. Can't remember her name...

As far as Somfai goes, she talked about her dad's love for Stanford on one of the podcasts I listened to and how he was super hyped to go with his daughter when/if she visits the Farm. Not sure if the new coach will change his enthusiasm. Now, I'd be super excited if we can sign any one (or two if there's room) of the three but...if coach can land only one I really hope it's Lara.
Difference is Brynn has an offer.

Reaction Score

We have space for 2-3 if Paige leaves (which she likely will) and Aubrey is 100% declaring. So what I think is:
Spot 1: Somfai
Spot 2: McGaughy
Leah seems to like ND.

Reaction Score
We have space for 2-3 if Paige leaves (which she likely will) and Aubrey is 100% declaring. So what I think is:
Spot 1: Somfai
Spot 2: McGaughy
Leah seems to like ND.

There's already 2 players committed for 2025.

Reaction Score
There's already 2 players committed for 2025.
According to the scholarship chart, we still have 2 spots left because of Ines/Amari transferring. Initially we only had one left for class of 25 because one of them was taking up a spot. Now we have 2.

Reaction Score
According to the scholarship chart, we still have 2 spots left because of Ines/Amari transferring. Initially we only had one left for class of 25 because one of them was taking up a spot. Now we have 2.

My bad. I forgot about those 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc