UConn now ranked second | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn now ranked second

Reaction Score
There are 14 factors that the committee uses to evaluate a team for the tournament, including strength of conference and being competitive in losses. If UConn keeps it close against South Carolina, they likely are a two seed.

Net has Stanford ranked second, but in my mind they are a two seed. Net is a tool that gets more accurate the closer we get to March 1st, but there are 13 other critereon the committee uses.

Who would you have as the four one seeds ahead of Stanford after the Beavers took a wrecking ball to Colorado and Wazzu stunned UCLA despite losing their best player for a half?

Reaction Score
Who would you have as the four one seeds ahead of Stanford after the Beavers took a wrecking ball to Colorado and Wazzu stunned UCLA despite losing their best player for a half?
I’m a Stanford fan. According to my eye test they are a 2-seed quality team. If there aren’t 4 teams with better résumés on March 17th, I willn’t complain too much if they are a one seed.

Lauren Betts did not play against Washington State. I’m hoping she is fine and plays this weekend. If Lauren is healthy and playing in March, the committee is allowed to take into account she didn’t play the Washington State game when seeding the tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m a Stanford fan. According to my eye test they are a 2-seed quality team. If there aren’t 4 teams with better résumés on March 17th, I willn’t complain too much if they are a one seed.

Lauren Betts did not play against Washington State. I’m hoping she is fine and plays this weekend. If Lauren is healthy and playing in March, the committee is allowed to take into account she didn’t play the Washington State game when seeding the tournament.

I think the eye-test only tells you so much - teams that look flashy and efficient still have to win the games in front of them.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of the UCLA losses this week - as they should've been able to beat Utah with Betts - but fell to a hostile environment on the road. Washington State lost their best player for half the game, and UCLA still didn't win a game they should've been able to win AT home without Betts. I'm sure the committee will give UCLA some levity for the Wazzu loss IF Betts returns but UCLA stands at 5-3 in the conference with losses to Utah, USC, and Wazzu.

By the same measure, I would give Stanford a pass for losing to Gonzaga essentially without Brink on the road in a hostile environment in Spokane. Credit to Gonzaga for a fantastic game, but it's a different game if Brink was able to play the full game.

Stanford's win over Oregon State last week looks more impressive given how Oregon State just swept the mountain schools.

If we're looking at actual tourney worthy resumes as of today, I think that we're looking at the following top seeds:

South Carolina, Iowa, Stanford, and I'd almost argue for putting Kansas State on the top line over NC State. Now, UCLA, Colorado and NC State have a lot of time left to earn their way to a top seed - and they may all do it; however, as of today, I think there's a pretty clear top 4, followed by a second seed line of UCLA, Colorado, NC State, and....a fourth team of your choosing from UConn, Indiana, LSU, or Notre Dame.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
How do you mean means are you just being provocative or really you asking for my opinion?
Just wondering if the ND game moves the needle for you or are you still thinking there's no reason to doubt the statistics to rank UConn nationally in terms how good they actually can be against the most talented teams in the country.

Maybe all the past stars and the hoopla around the championship teams was just too much pressure.

Reaction Score
Just wondering if the ND game moves the needle for you or are you still thinking there's no reason to doubt the statistics to rank UConn nationally in terms how good they actually can be against the most talented teams in the country.

Maybe all the past stars and the hoopla around the championship teams was just too much pressure.
Obviously the ND game was hard to take. But I’m not sure yet how to interpret it.

It could be that UConn is overrated or it could be that ND played very well. I saw ND against Syracuse earlier last week and they looked very beatable.

Other confusions abound. LSU loses to Auburn and then gives SC a real scare. Ohio State loses to Michigan and then takes down Iowa. Hell, Iowa took down SC last year.

Pressure, match-ups, newbie immaturity, Paige still recovering, all could be possible factors in UConn’s loss. Clearly there is doubt to had.

But i don’t understand what is the problem with giving the data some credence at this point. I don’t see the “most talented teams” as not having vulnerabilities too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom