UConn now ranked second | The Boneyard

UConn now ranked second

Reaction Score
I thought for half second that maybe the AP pollsters had decided to do a re-do in the middle of the week.

the movie drinking GIF

Reaction Score
the rankings will take care of themselves if UConn can win the rest of their games.......I'm waiting to see how they perform against a pretty big Notre Dame team that also has two outstanding guards of their own.......fingers crossed...

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
At risk of being a turd in the punch bowl, this statistical ranking is unlikely to reflect the reality of going out and actually performing at that level versus other top 5 teams.

That said, I would be delighted to watch this group prove me wrong. There a fun bunch to watch when they are rolling.

Reaction Score
At risk of being a turd in the punch bowl, this statistical ranking is unlikely to reflect the reality of going out and actually performing at that level versus other top 5 teams.

That said, I would be delighted to watch this group prove me wrong. There a fun bunch to watch when they are rolling.
“At risk of being a turd in the punch bowl, this statistical ranking is unlikely to reflect the reality of going out and actually performing at that level versus other top 5 teams.”

Why is that??? I would suggest that statistics portray part of the story. UConn is a 10 point favorite over ND and a 9 point underdog to SC. But obviously it is not Gospel.

Can other teams kill us on the boards? Perhaps. Can we run bigger teams off their feet. Perhaps. All reasonable suppositions.

A number of posters agree with your sentiment that UConn is not worthy of its ratings. I choose not to share that feeling because i have no better data to make a case it is true.

Reaction Score
The NCAA doesn't care about Massey's ratings, or the polls, but the NET rankings are their own rankings, and matter a lot.
Okay. But what does that mean in terms of people favoring or not UConn’s team this year?

Reaction Score
A number of posters agree with your sentiment that UConn is not worthy of its ratings. I choose not to share that feeling because i have no better data to make a case it is true.
I absolutely agree with you...I'm more worried about UCONN in Columbia than I am LSU in Baton Rouge!!! I've said in another post that Edwards scares me more than Paige. If Cardosa gets in foul trouble and Edwards gets hot, who knows. Watkins can dunk a basketball but can she contain Edwards? We'll see!!!

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with you...I'm more worried about UCONN in Columbia than I am LSU in Baton Rouge!!! I've said in another post that Edwards scares me more than Paige. If Cardosa gets in foul trouble and Edwards gets hot, who knows. Watkins can dunk a basketball but can she contain Edwards? We'll see!!!
Watkins is a sub; she won’t have primary responsibility. That will most likely be Cardoso.

Reaction Score
Watkins is a sub; she won’t have primary responsibility. That will most likely be Cardoso.
Yes Watkins is a sub, but if Cardoso gets in foul trouble, who guards Edwards?

Reaction Score
South Carolina has a massive depth advantage. UConn basically has no bench. Get any of UConn's starters in foul trouble and it's game over.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the South Carolina game. It's not going to be easy, and we're likely not to be favored, but it will be a good gauge of where the team is at this point in time and how well we can compete against elite competition.

Reaction Score
Yes Watkins is a sub, but if Cardoso gets in foul trouble, who guards Edwards?
Looking forward to the assessments that take place prior to games. Regarding Cardosa does she get the ball often or is SC more of a guard/wing based offense? Does she have the one-on-one game able to get Edwards in foul trouble? Does she slap down on the ball, reacting fouls as ONO used to do while at UConn? You would think that living in SC I would have these answers.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Edwards has done well against South Carolina in the past, yet SC still won. On the other hand the last game UConn won in the series Bueckers by far played the best.

But I don’t think any individual alone is what should provide concern to SC fans. I think the guard play of SC is the best it has been for years and has me concerned more so than in the past. Yet UConn’s guard cadre for the past two years was constantly getting injured or adjusting to injury. Consequently we are as a whole, not just Bueckers, much more efficient at shooting and passing than the past two years. We also play faster with more pressure on the ball.

Though we have a significant disadvantage in the post that Edwards alone cannot overcome, our guard play has improved even more this year than SC. I think SC is the team to beat, but if I were a pessimist and a fan of SC I would be most worried about the sublime efficiency of all the UConn guards put together.

Reaction Score
The NCAA doesn't care about Massey's ratings, or the polls, but the NET rankings are their own rankings, and matter a lot.
The only thing I’d change about this post is the tense of the final verb. The NET will matter a lot in March. It’s interesting now. The polls matter now because they create attention for ranked matchup games.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
“At risk of being a turd in the punch bowl, this statistical ranking is unlikely to reflect the reality of going out and actually performing at that level versus other top 5 teams.”

Why is that??? I would suggest that statistics portray part of the story. UConn is a 10 point favorite over ND and a 9 point underdog to SC. But obviously it is not Gospel.

Can other teams kill us on the boards? Perhaps. Can we run bigger teams off their feet. Perhaps. All reasonable suppositions.

UConn v #15 ND ... better data?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I have thought for a long time that the NET has been producing curious results this year thus far (long before the ND vs UConn game, which tbh, was shocking based on both team's previous performances).

There are certain things of course the NET can't "know"--for example, it has Texas at #4, which might be fair if they still had their best player who led them to their best win (against UConn), but they do not.

I don't understand how Colorado is at #17 despite wins over #2 Stanford, #5 Utah, #11 LSU, and #16 USC.

I don't understand how Indiana is at #12 when their best win is over...#28 Penn St.

This is why of course the NET is not gospel.

Reaction Score
There are 14 factors that the committee uses to evaluate a team for the tournament, including strength of conference and being competitive in losses. If UConn keeps it close against South Carolina, they likely are a two seed.

Net has Stanford ranked second, but in my mind they are a two seed. Net is a tool that gets more accurate the closer we get to March 1st, but there are 13 other critereon the committee uses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom