UConn Men Come Under The Eyes Of NBA Scouts, Too | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Men Come Under The Eyes Of NBA Scouts, Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree totally although what sucks is I'm having a tough time figuring out where the hell I fit in on these types! :eek:
You are one of my favorite posters. That's all that matters. I do have an eclectic group that I enjoy reading.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Coverage was better,
I remember Whaler fans complaining that the Courant was so focused on the Huskies. There were articles every day from game coverage to feature articles to minutiae and I think a Husky trivia contest (Husky Hoopla?) A section's front page (not sports)dedicated to newcomer Donyell and the size of his hands.
I thought Dave Soloman did some great stuff at the Register too.
Don't know if the coverage dropped because CT became complacent with having great basketball teams/ the novelty wore off and how much was newspaper cutbacks.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's the case in the past and certainly the case presently. But I'm not certain it has to be the case in the future. When I was growing up most of the better students in the state wanted to attend private universities if they could afford it. That isn't the case currently. Things change.

It remains to be seen if the university can capitalize on this and get students excited with its sports. I think they can because some of the reason these students are choosing UConn is because of their successes in sports.

The university has to undo some of the damage that occurred with its passionate fan base. Some of it was lost over the past few decades with the seating policy changes. But I'm convinced, as I've stated in other threads, Ct has passionate people who love sports and are no different than other places. UConn certainly is in competition with other venues and that makes it harder to promote itself than a Kentucky, but that doesn't mean it can't ultimately be as successful as Kentucky.

I imagine most of the UK fans don't even attend college at all. Also, many UConn grads don't stick around after graduating, so that hurts oxalate support.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I imagine most of the UK fans don't even attend college at all. Also, many UConn grads don't stick around after graduating, so that hurts oxalate support.

Good point! We have more people that go to college than most states. Most don't go to UCONN so we have more people with top loyalies to Yale, the colleges of Boston, etc,etc
If you never go to college you would be more loyal to state U.

Reaction Score
Right, but they move to Boston and NYC most frequently, I would bet, so it doesn't hurt too much in the long term, hopefully. :)

Reaction Score
image.jpg
Borges vs Nolan lmao just saw Nolan tweet this a while back #neverforgetnolan

Reaction Score
And lets face it, there are a whole lot more Kentucky fans than UCONN fans. It's a religion down there. UK BB is the "UT/AL football" of Kentucky. Not so up here.
We may not be UK !or UofA,or Nebraska but their is a lot of interest in the BB .
If fan interest in football equalled basketbal we would be in a better CR position. Of course tradition and success have something to do with it.

Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
And lets face it, there are a whole lot more Kentucky fans than UCONN fans. It's a religion down there. UK BB is the "UT/AL football" of Kentucky. Not so up here.

It changed at some point and became downgraded. Huskymania was a real thing and not a marketing ploy to sell tshirts. Fans lined the streets and overpasses to wave to the team bus after the NIT and the Dream Season loss. Everything sold out. Bethune-Cookman at the HCC? Attendance would be 16,124. St. John's under Jarvis changed their ticket policy so that MSG wouldn't be overrun by UConn fans.

Somewhere in between the second title, laptop gate, a couple bad years after laptop gate, and jacking up ticket prices to be unaffordable for regular fans, there hasn't been as much mania in the last 10 years. Michigan State at MSG was a nice throwback to what we used to have regularly.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It absolutely was a real thing and our roster of beat writers (due to its size compared to other BE schools in the infancy of the BE) called it The Horde. By the early 1990's many national sportswriters compared our basketball following to that of Nebraska football (where if a backup lineman had an ingrown toenail during spring practice the entire state would find out).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom