UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
The call took away UConn's chance to win or tie at the end, but the game was "lost" before that.

Paige - Only 17 shots, no FT's
Shade - Disappeared on offense for most of the game
AE - Missed too many bunnies and got outplayed overall
Whole team miss too many uncontested 3's. Iowa was giving them away.

It's a good thing KK and Nika played well.

How does Gabby Marshall guard Paige most of the game and not commit a foul?

This team could never put teams away this year. Get a double digit lead and then give it back. I tend to believe that fatigue played into that. A lot of energy spent to make the run and too tired afterwards to maintain or enlarge it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And that decision rankles me the more I think about it. Geno has a bad track record of lousy, end-of-game coaching and I think this adds to it. Nobody wants to hear that, but there's no reason to fart around with a screen. Paige should've had a clearout to make a play off the dribble. And if Geno doesn't trust her to do that then he's conceding Clark is the better player.
Not one "fan" here knows what the final play was...because of the now infamous whistle.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A lot of attention has been aid to the notion of game fixing through ref calls in the NFL and the NBA. Unfortunately there is a big bucks incentive for the NCAA and contracted media to have Clark continue on.

Reaction Score
The call took away UConn's chance to win or tie at the end, but the game was "lost" before that.

This team could never put teams away this year. Get a double digit lead and then give it back. I tend to believe that fatigue played into that. A lot of energy spent to make the run and too tired afterwards to maintain or enlarge it.
So I guess you have the coaches game tape and from there you can deduce that Ashland shade disappeared
So I guess you know for certain that she disappeared on defense and her players scored a whole lotta point
I guess she disappeared because she missed shots she normally makes
Let’s see AE had how many points in the second half !
And the 3 Paige makes down 7 with 2
The statement that UConn could never put teams away is foolish
All of their wins until the tournaments we’re by double figures, and other than the Notre Dame game in their other losses, they played from behind

The cavalier way you describe the players performances I find a bit distasteful

I think a more accurate way to describe the game would be that UConn needed to play there A game to win
Imho they played there A to A plus game defensively and they’re all offensive game was probably a B
To put blame for a loss of two points on a controversial call at the end of the game on individual players is the kind of post that should be
Reserved for professional sports or the tennesse
Board

Reaction Score
So, if the ref doesn’t make that call and Paige hits the game-winner, is the story the missed moving screen by Edwards? No? Exactly.
Lol kind of like when our team makes a boneheaded play we blame the player but when CC did it’s great defense home team! Don’t like the play at the end…coach’s lose games remember. Onward and forward.

Reaction Score
Another thought!
A lot of posts above want SoCar to beat up on Iowa in the Championship game, I want Caitlin to score 100 and Iowa win big!
Iowa is one of my 2nd or 3rd favorite teams, behind UConn!
They have some great players and a great coach, and they really did nothing to UConn, the refs did!
I do not like SoCar and would like them to be knocked down a peg!
Just IMHO!
Better to lose to the champ than the runner up

Reaction Score

Paige rarely attacked the basket to force the refs to call fouls. As a team this has been a Uconn weakness for many years.

Reaction Score
He said a similar thing after the Notre Dame game. Although I think he said Paige took a hit in that game. Only Paige or him would know. IMO, I think similar to Caitlyn, Paige had some pretty good defenders on her the whole night. With the size advantage on Gabby I wish they didn't overthink and got her the ball on the elbows or in the post more often. That being said they had a lot of contributors, so it's hard to assess. Like if Paige took 20 plus shots which she was taking since the big east tournament, are Ice and KK less involved? I think the moment was pretty big for both players (CC and Paige) and they tried their best. But as much as Paige has been an absolute monster in elite 8 games, she hasn't been quite able to break through in final four weekends (I don't think she's scored 20 yet in 4 games). But once again, not all on PB. She's still contributed, team just hasn't done quite enough to win it all.
You make note of an interesting point. We know Paige can be clutch and will take the money shot, but I am perplexed between Elite 8 Paige (28 vs Baylor, 27 vs NC St, and 28 against USC) and Final Four Paige.

Her freshman year Final Four game against Arizona, their defensive scheme was designed to limit her from beating them. Since she was a frosh and Arizona played above their norm and were on a run, I give Paige a pass. In the championship game against SC, I feel she ran out of gas (I also believe she came back too soon) & SC was simply better that season. Again, a pass.

I had high expectations for Paige last nite, thinking she had exercised any previous Final Four demons after the sensational tourney run that she was enjoying. Inexplicably, she allowed herself to be removed from the game, just at the very moment she needed to assert herself. I wouldn't have minded if she was 0 - 7 from the floor in the 4th, as long as she was aggressive and took matters in her hands. She doesn't have to shoot, she can facilitate, but she can't do that unless the ball is in her hands. Too many times, UConn came down in the 4th, and Paige was not involved in the half court offense. For a person of her stature and skill, that is inexcusable.

The worst part is that Paige is a baller, and already has a killer instinct. For some reason though, she's reluctant to let that aspect out. I thought this hesitation was behind her after the previous 7 games, where she asserted herself when needed. Last night, she picked a wrong time to revert to old ways.

In one of the pressers, Geno sent Paige a departing offseason message that I hope stays with her about not waiting for the right moment, and the need to be more selfish. Ironically, Paige's teammates, like Caitlin Clark's want to win and they want Paige to take over in those needed moments. Just look at Clark's teammates - they all seem to love her and they have her back. It would be the same way for Paige.

As she enters her final season in a UConn uniform, I hope she spends some time thinking about her legacy, and when the moment arises again (another Final Four), she leaves no doubt about her imprint on the game, win or lose. She is already an all-time great. Going out with a NC next year would only cement her place in the pantheon of UConn greats. Think about it Paige.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • For many UConn WBB fans it’s “National Championship or bust.” But this season, after all the adversity this team has faced, I can’t feel anything but great joy and satisfaction over how much this team has accomplished against all odds. While the loss really hurts right now, the team should take tremendous pride in how hard they worked and fought, and how far they came despite facing challenges that would have broken just about any other team.
  • To our two incredibly tough and beloved graduating seniors, Nika and Aaliyah, thank you for everything you did for UConn WBB. You will be missed. Each of you have achieved a measure of immortality. Nika’s UConn career assist mark will last for a very long time, if not forever. Aaliyah will have her banner up in the rafters at Gampel along with so many legendary UConn greats: Rebecca, Sue, DT, Maya, Breanna, Paige……….
  • As for the game, it was billed as a battle between Paige and Clark, the two best players in WBB. Of course, it was really a battle between UConn and Iowa, but the hype surrounding these two superstars surely put several million fans in front of their TV’s.
  • UConn once again came out playing relentless defense, with Nika blanketing Clark all over the court, limiting high-scoring Iowa to a season low 26 points in the first half, taking a 6-point lead into halftime.
  • But in the 2nd half, Clark found just enough space to knock down a few shots, Iowa took much better care of the ball as the teams traded baskets through the 3rd qtr. In the 4th qtr, Iowa took the lead. UConn clawed their way back. This was an incredible battle between two fiercely competitive teams. UConn fought heroically to the very end, but the Huskies came up just short.
  • As for next season, there are a lot of question marks, mostly related to the health status of several key players. But so long as UConn has Paige doing Paige things, along with KK, Ashlynn, Ice, Q and whoever else shows up, does anyone really doubt that the Huskies will be back, chasing yet another championship? :rolleyes:
Everything you say is true. A few observations I need to offer, just because it is what I saw on the court. Paige did not have one of her best games. She missed more shots than usual. I agree that she may be the best player in women's college basketball, but she wasn't at that level tonight. And Edwards was off her best game, as well. Her mid range shot just didn't look right. Nika was amazing in her "swan song" game. Her defense caught the attention of the announcers and her three point shots were critical to keep us in the game. KK was brilliant, mixed with some freshman mistakes. On occasion she was moving so fast that she lost control, and turned the ball over. But her flashes were breathtaking, and we can look forward to greatness from her. ASH was terrific on defense and in rebounding/ball security. Unfortunately, after a nice start, her shot went south. And we needed a big night from her to win this one. ICE was really good in all respects. Some of the fouls called on her were those "mystery calls," where the tv viewer can see no real contact. But her rebounding was solid, her passing excellent and her shot was well targeted. She had the kind of first year we hoped for; she overcame her injury/surgery, and fit into the game at the highest level by season's end. That foul call with 9 seconds remaining was tragic. But there is no guarantee that we convert a shot at that point. The game could not have been closer. Had we played a bit better, we win. But to have done all this ( battled to the end in final four ) with the injuries to the team is incredible. A tribute to the players and the coaches. Well done. See you next year.

P.S. would love to see Iowa win it all, but I don't think they can.

Reaction Score
Strange game. Neither one of the stars took over, or even looked to try to take over. PB had 17 shots (usually in the low to mid 20's), CC 18 (she had 29 against LSU, and is usually around 30 if not higher)
Well, its over, and the season was successful by most measures, but it is hard to end with the losers lament - we had our chances.

Reaction Score
I just wonder if Paige was banged up and physically could’t take charge like she did earlier in the tournament. She got held, bumped, slammed around for a few weeks now. She is also one not to make excuses for anything. They gave it their all. sup proud of the team and grateful t be a husky fan.

Reaction Score
So I guess you have the coaches game tape and from there you can deduce that Ashland shade disappeared
So I guess you know for certain that she disappeared on defense and her players scored a whole lotta point
I guess she disappeared because she missed shots she normally makes
Let’s see AE had how many points in the second half !
And the 3 Paige makes down 7 with 2
The statement that UConn could never put teams away is foolish
All of their wins until the tournaments we’re by double figures, and other than the Notre Dame game in their other losses, they played from behind

The cavalier way you describe the players performances I find a bit distasteful

I think a more accurate way to describe the game would be that UConn needed to play there A game to win
Imho they played there A to A plus game defensively and they’re all offensive game was probably a B
To put blame for a loss of two points on a controversial call at the end of the game on individual players is the kind of post that should be
Reserved for professional sports or the tennesse
Board

Why do I need the coaches game film? I watched the game. I said she disappeared on OFFENSE. She took 3 shots (0-3) in the second half.

AE got outplayed. If you disagree. Fine.

What about the 3 Paige made? If she would have shot the 22-25 times that most people on this board believes she should instead of the 17 she actually did, assuming she makes just 3 of the 5-8 additional shots, Iowa is the team playing from behind instead of UConn. If you watched the game closely, there is an instance where Geno yelled at her for not taking a shot.

Don't bring up the Big East. It was terrible this year and if you have been paying attention to the transfer portal, it will be worse next year.

It was a team loss. Some contributed more than others and the same can be said about wins as well.

I'm being argumentative here, but if a player(s) doesn't bring their 'A' game to a game of this magnitude, what does that say about the player(s)?

The season's over (It was a good one) and just like the other 359 Division 1 teams, there's always next year.

Reaction Score
They didn't play well enough to win?
They made too many unforced errors, and let a 12-point lead (which should have been much higher) slip away. I frankly thought the game was over when Iowa went up 9, then Iowa let Connecticut back into the game.

Reaction Score
He could've easily just given Paige the ball and let her make a play instead of messing with a screen. Despite all his talk about Paige being the best player he decided she needed help making a winning play. Iowa would have never set a screen for Clark.
What? She runs off screens all the time.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not one "fan" here knows what the final play was...because of the now infamous whistle.

Well, the more I see the replay from another angle the more I think the call was right despite Marshall's acting job. I also think the play call was terrible and looking for trouble, and that the refs were repulsively bad in Iowa's favor which will get ignored due to the last play.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What? She runs off screens all the time.

News to me and I've watched her a ton. She almost always has the ball in her hands and that would've been the case in a similar scenario for Iowa.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
They made too many unforced errors, and let a 12-point lead (which should have been much higher) slip away. I frankly thought the game was over when Iowa went up 9, then Iowa let Connecticut back into the game.

That's all well and good. Iowa still didn't play any better, and a large reason for that lead slipping was UConn having to back off defensively after trash foul calls against Muhl, Edwards, and Arnold.

Reaction Score
Why do I need the coaches game film? I watched the game. I said she disappeared on OFFENSE. She took 3 shots (0-3) in the second half.

AE got outplayed. If you disagree. Fine.

What about the 3 Paige made? If she would have shot the 22-25 times that most people on this board believes she should instead of the 17 she actually did, assuming she makes just 3 of the 5-8 additional shots, Iowa is the team playing from behind instead of UConn. If you watched the game closely, there is an instance where Geno yelled at her for not taking a shot.

Don't bring up the Big East. It was terrible this year and if you have been paying attention to the transfer portal, it will be worse next year.

It was a team loss. Some contributed more than others and the same can be said about wins as well.

I'm being argumentative here, but if a player(s) doesn't bring their 'A' game to a game of this magnitude, what does that say about the player(s)?

The season's over (It was a good one) and just like the other 359 Division 1 teams, there's always next year.
After hitting first two shots, ASH went 0-6 rest of game. She did have 7 rebounds and played excellent defense. Her shot deserted her.

Reaction Score
After watching multiple replays of the final 10 seconds of the game and reading, all the comments about the game, I feel sad for Iowa and their players, because so many people are asking whether they legitimately won the game. Yes, they get to play in the final game, but would they have won? I think that must be hard and a disservice by the referees to both teams.

I think that we should stop talking about how far we came with so many injuries. It seems like qualifying a great effort by the whole team this year and how far they went in the tournament, another Final Four. I hope that as many people greet this team when they return to Connecticut as they would have if they had won the national championship. They really deserve it for an outstanding season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom