UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • For many UConn WBB fans it’s “National Championship or bust.” But this season, after all the adversity this team has faced, I can’t feel anything but great joy and satisfaction over how much this team has accomplished against all odds. While the loss really hurts right now, the team should take tremendous pride in how hard they worked and fought, and how far they came despite facing challenges that would have broken just about any other team.
  • To our two incredibly tough and beloved graduating seniors, Nika and Aaliyah, thank you for everything you did for UConn WBB. You will be missed. Each of you have achieved a measure of immortality. Nika’s UConn career assist mark will last for a very long time, if not forever. Aaliyah will have her banner up in the rafters at Gampel along with so many legendary UConn greats: Rebecca, Sue, DT, Maya, Breanna, Paige……….
  • As for the game, it was billed as a battle between Paige and Clark, the two best players in WBB. Of course, it was really a battle between UConn and Iowa, but the hype surrounding these two superstars surely put several million fans in front of their TV’s.
  • UConn once again came out playing relentless defense, with Nika blanketing Clark all over the court, limiting high-scoring Iowa to a season low 26 points in the first half, taking a 6-point lead into halftime.
  • But in the 2nd half, Clark found just enough space to knock down a few shots, Iowa took much better care of the ball as the teams traded baskets through the 3rd qtr. In the 4th qtr, Iowa took the lead. UConn clawed their way back. This was an incredible battle between two fiercely competitive teams. UConn fought heroically to the very end, but the Huskies came up just short.
  • As for next season, there are a lot of question marks, mostly related to the health status of several key players. But so long as UConn has Paige doing Paige things, along with KK, Ashlynn, Ice, Q and whoever else shows up, does anyone really doubt that the Huskies will be back, chasing yet another championship? :rolleyes:
Great recap as always and you never fail to put things in perspective. Thank you for always being a positive voice of reason over the years. I appreciate the time and effort you have brought to this space.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • For many UConn WBB fans it’s “National Championship or bust.” But this season, after all the adversity this team has faced, I can’t feel anything but great joy and satisfaction over how much this team has accomplished against all odds. While the loss really hurts right now, the team should take tremendous pride in how hard they worked and fought, and how far they came despite facing challenges that would have broken just about any other team.
  • To our two incredibly tough and beloved graduating seniors, Nika and Aaliyah, thank you for everything you did for UConn WBB. You will be missed. Each of you have achieved a measure of immortality. Nika’s UConn career assist mark will last for a very long time, if not forever. Aaliyah will have her banner up in the rafters at Gampel along with so many legendary UConn greats: Rebecca, Sue, DT, Maya, Breanna, Paige……….
  • As for the game, it was billed as a battle between Paige and Clark, the two best players in WBB. Of course, it was really a battle between UConn and Iowa, but the hype surrounding these two superstars surely put several million fans in front of their TV’s.
  • UConn once again came out playing relentless defense, with Nika blanketing Clark all over the court, limiting high-scoring Iowa to a season low 26 points in the first half, taking a 6-point lead into halftime.
  • But in the 2nd half, Clark found just enough space to knock down a few shots, Iowa took much better care of the ball as the teams traded baskets through the 3rd qtr. In the 4th qtr, Iowa took the lead. UConn clawed their way back. This was an incredible battle between two fiercely competitive teams. UConn fought heroically to the very end, but the Huskies came up just short.
  • As for next season, there are a lot of question marks, mostly related to the health status of several key players. But so long as UConn has Paige doing Paige things, along with KK, Ashlynn, Ice, Q and whoever else shows up, does anyone really doubt that the Huskies will be back, chasing yet another championship? :rolleyes:
Thank you, brother ~ need that positive energy about now

Reaction Score
This stings because it was a winnable game that should have been won, but overall a very successful season. A team that is missing half their rotation players pulling together to make a final 4 and come within 1 possession of winning. Wish Paige would have got the opportunity to decide the season on that last possession, but it is what it is..

I think a common complaint about this team in recent years has been they aren’t tough enough. They were tough tonight. They were tough to make it this far. Gave it their all

Let’s go Huskies, thank you to the seniors, and let’s take over next year!
It's hard to be tough when the refs won't let you play tough.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The biggest issue with college refs (especially in the women’s game) is that they often don’t establish what a foul is early in games, and then they end up over correcting it later in the game when it gets too physical.

NBA refs are far from perfect, but they know how to set a tone early to keep control of a game.

College officials don’t seem to grasp this very simple concept. When you combine that with the women’s game getting worse officials than the men’s game, we see crap like the end of the UConn-Iowa game take place.
As I have posted waaaaay too many times, WBB refs look at the stats at halftime and adjust accordingly. I truly believe this and that it happened again this game.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If Aaliyah played the entire game like she did the 4th quarter UConn wins by double digits. They were the better team.

And still a winnable game under ten seconds.

Great experience for Shade, KK and Ice.

Outstanding defense by Nika. Two games in a row.

Reaction Score
I always question why coaches take timeouts in those end of game scenarios. I think getting it in Paige’s hand while the defense is on their heels is something you have to let play out. Calling a timeout lets the defense set up and more often than not forces you into doing something you don’t wanna do.
Great point. Iowa was rattled after the turnover and Paige could have pushed the ball down the court looking for a mismatch. The play they ended up running took too much time as Paige was getting the ball back with only 4 seconds left. And Iowa had been calmed down in the huddle after UConn’s timeout and was more ready to defend than they would have been.

Reaction Score
Just bad and no one holds these refs accountable. Remember KK’s I believe foul when no one even touched the player. I’ve never seen anything like this before. Just sad and I don’t care what anyone says, that ref needs to be shamed for it. However so.

Reaction Score
That last call. Ruined the game.
The after game reporting of Sports Center on ESPN, not sure of the host’s name, said that call absolutely should not have been called. Also while talking with Andraya Carter she said the exact same thing. Terrible call. Then interviewing Diana and Sue they agreed it should not have been called. It’s a shame we will never get to see if we would have hit a shot or gone to the line. Totally not fair.

Reaction Score
Also, and this is revisionist history, and hind sight, but did we have our two bigs out there on clark's second free throw. ultimately if we get that rebound cleanly we have 3 second with the ball advanced at half court. I really thought we were still ok even after the offensive foul call.

Reaction Score
It's all about the eyeballs for Sunday's game, many more with Iowa in the game,
Yeah, I definitely felt there was an agenda to have their marketing centerpiece in the championship game. A ref can't call that foul on AE on UConn's last possession. I didn’t think it was a foul and if it was, not significant enough to call at that point in the game. Refs are supposed to officiate the game, not be the game. To not even give UConn a chance to win it was atrocious. The refs were pretty terrible this tournament.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Enough has been said about the last foul call.

I just have to say the thing that will stand out for me about this game is Nika. I've always respected her game, but with the exception of one really bad pass, she was impressive again here. The defense and the big shot... and I think she is hurting far more than she'll ever let on. Her legs looked like they were ready to just buckle a few different times. Tough as nails player went out with her boots on.
Nika getting hurt may have been the difference. You never know.

Reaction Score
The biggest issue with college refs (especially in the women’s game) is that they often don’t establish what a foul is early in games, and then they end up over correcting it later in the game when it gets too physical.

NBA refs are far from perfect, but they know how to set a tone early to keep control of a game.

College officials don’t seem to grasp this very simple concept. When you combine that with the women’s game getting worse officials than the men’s game, we see crap like the end of the UConn-Iowa game take place.
In the women’s college basketball game there are way too many charges called, seemingly a third I would believe.

Reaction Score
I know we don’t have a badass in a loss but Nika Muhl was one harcore badass all game long. The defense she played on Clark, particularly in the first half was incredible - just badass-and after the injury trying to turn back to the court on her way down the tunnel- just badass, and finally that steal from Clark and then hitting the three ( her third) to give us the chance to complete the comeback - just totally badass. She was determined to get us a W in this one from opening tip ‘till the last play - fate or maybe it was the trf intervened though so it was not to be. Nika went out a total Gusky badass though.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Also, and this is revisionist history, and hind sight, but did we have our two bigs out there on clark's second free throw. ultimately if we get that rebound cleanly we have 3 second with the ball advanced at half court. I really thought we were still ok even after the offensive foul call.
Was surprised Nika was close to the basket and not Paige for the rebound.

Reaction Score
I thought Nika was going to sprint the ball across half court and we take our last time-out. As soon as she got to the corner with 3 defenders in the area.. they definitely should have called it.

Not even sure Paige was taking that shot, because AE came off that screen rolling to the middle of the paint and was wide open with KK next to the hoop with a defender. C'est la vie.. we'll never know.

Reaction Score
Terrible call, inexcusable. Also, not sure why they called a TO to allow the D to setup. I’m a fan of getting the ball and bringing it up court.

Gonna be hard to root for USC, but I really think that call was influenced. I hope it backfires and the title game is a dud

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You talk like Iowa sucks and we were the favorite. We played great and had a bucket set up to win it.

So? What does that have to do with UConn keeping Iowa in the game for 10 minutes, then the refs taking over, then Geno allowing the game to be in the refs hands instead of Bueckers'?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sue and Diana called it in real time saying why isn’t the ball going straight to Paige on the inbounds at the 9 second mark.

And that decision rankles me the more I think about it. Geno has a bad track record of lousy, end-of-game coaching and I think this adds to it. Nobody wants to hear that, but there's no reason to fart around with a screen. Paige should've had a clearout to make a play off the dribble. And if Geno doesn't trust her to do that then he's conceding Clark is the better player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom