UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Paige had to be a little bit better. Not blaming her or anything. She still had her moments in this one but just didn't leave her mark on the game as much as she should've. I hate the call, but throughout the game, especially in the first half, I thought they could've blew the game open a bit if they took better shots.

Reaction Score
UConn let Iowa stay in the game way too long and then the refs took over. That's the entire game in a nutshell, and it goes way beyond the final controversial call against Edwards.
Goes that way every game.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
UConn had lots of chances to blow the game wide open in first half but threw it away a lot, or took the wrong shot, etc. They just didn't take advantage of how their defense made Iowa play badly. I think they were fatigued too. Awful ending also.
Soooooo many low-percentage, mid-range shots.

Reaction Score
Too many self inflicted mistakes cost them this game. Iowa was much more poised in the second half and made tough shots
In addition to the obvious game-changing call on Edward’s st the end, the no-touch foul on KK earlier caused her to be benched a bit in the 2nd half. KK on the bunch enabled Iowa to cut their turnovers & cut the lead.

Reaction Score
Don’t understand the foul call. Robbed us of a ball in the air game on the line type shot.

I don’t understand why Bueckers doesn’t touch the ball every time down the floor. Way too few touches late.
I think Paige was either tired or simply not asserting herself. It was on her to go to the ball and take the game over. She definitely underperformed as did Caitlin. The difference is that they had the player have the great game in their center who had 23 against an All American.,

Reaction Score
The officiating in the NCAA Women's tournament leaves a lot to be desired. Remember last year's championship game crew? The horrible technical foul on Clark? Even the NCAA said the officiating in that game was below standards. A year later, and we have the debacle we had tonight. Certainly not the reason UConn lost, but it's just a bad look for the Women's tournament. NCAA, do better!
It’s simple you have the top officials in the men’s game that aren’t working the men’s FF obviously officiate the women’s FF, well I would do that you have to do something.

Reaction Score
UConn let Iowa stay in the game way too long and then the refs took over. That's the entire game in a nutshell, and it goes way beyond the final controversial call against Edwards.
You talk like Iowa sucks and we were the favorite. We played great and had a bucket set up to win it.

Reaction Score
What about the play when Paige got knocked down and we lost the ball? It sure looked to me like it was off Iowa. We lost, but 18 fouls to 9 is BS.
It was off the Iowa player, and the replay showed it last hitting the Iowa player's fingers and deflecting the ball

Reaction Score
I always question why coaches take timeouts in those end of game scenarios. I think getting it in Paige’s hand while the defense is on their heels is something you have to let play out. Calling a timeout lets the defense set up and more often than not forces you into doing something you don’t wanna do.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'd also add, besides the refs being trash all night, that last play is on Geno as well. Why the hell mess around with a screen? You're asking for something bad to happen. Just inbound the ball to Paige and let her make a play.

Reaction Score
I think more so in womens. They allow physicality as a rule and call technical foul violations like this one. Last year's Final was a disgrace and this game, the biggest ever, was on center stage for all the world to see how crappy the refs are in the sport.
The biggest issue with college refs (especially in the women’s game) is that they often don’t establish what a foul is early in games, and then they end up over correcting it later in the game when it gets too physical.

NBA refs are far from perfect, but they know how to set a tone early to keep control of a game.

College officials don’t seem to grasp this very simple concept. When you combine that with the women’s game getting worse officials than the men’s game, we see crap like the end of the UConn-Iowa game take place.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What about the play when Paige got knocked down and we lost the ball? It sure looked to me like it was off Iowa. We lost, but 18 fouls to 9 is BS.
The refs were distracted by Geno yelling at Paige instead of watching what was happening.

Reaction Score
Many thanks to the team for a fantastic year, and an amazing game. You fought so hard, as you always have. Everybody did their best. What more could anyone ask for? I treasure every one of these players, and wish Nika and Aaliyah the very best. Those two played their hearts out all year long and gave us sooo much excitement. And congrats to Geno and Co. for making the run with only 8 players. Amazing. Thank you. Thank you. Can't wait for next year!

Reaction Score
This stings because it was a winnable game that should have been won, but overall a very successful season. A team that is missing half their rotation players pulling together to make a final 4 and come within 1 possession of winning. Wish Paige would have got the opportunity to decide the season on that last possession, but it is what it is..

I think a common complaint about this team in recent years has been they aren’t tough enough. They were tough tonight. They were tough to make it this far. Gave it their all

Let’s go Huskies, thank you to the seniors, and let’s take over next year!
Didn't KK just show us who's going to take her place? And she scored 14 in the final four and isn't afraid to take shots.
Loved her performance
All she needs to do improve her 3 point shooting

Reaction Score
A tough loss: Iowa played well, especially Stuelke, Martin and Affolter. Caitlin was solid too, as was Paige, but it was really the role players’ victory. Nika almost engineered a comeback in the closing minute, and KK was dynamite. Aaliyah had 17 and was strong in the closing minutes. But a dubious moving screen call effectively ended the game. Not Aaliyah's fault. We got out rebounded, but that was largely because we went so cold in the second half. Still everyone scored and all the girls had great moments.

A great season for a great team!
Well said, Bone Dog.

It might have been commented on in later posts... I haven't looked through them yet, but it should be noted that Gabbie Marshall did a great job on Paige for most of the game, as Nika did on Caitlin.

Reaction Score
First, let me say the team exceeded the season's expectations given the injuries and everyone playing nearly every minute tonight.

Several players had poor games. I won't name them, you all watched the game. Too many missed layups, bad turnovers etc. They should've been up 15 at halftime, but let Iowa hang around. They got the terrible game from Clark that they needed, but let them off the hook. While not disappointing for what they accomplished this season, the players and coaches will beat themselves up for letting this game get away.

With all that said, we were spared a 15-20 point beatdown by South Carolina in the championship game. Iowa will get that honor. I said at the end of last season that Cardosa would be the difference maker this season, and she will be. Neither UConn or Iowa can contain her.

Not hopeful, but would love some great news from Sarah Strong tomorrow, but I agree she's most likely going to Duke, which sucks.

Here's to a healthy roster next year.

Reaction Score
Paige had to be a little bit better. Not blaming her or anything. She still had her moments in this one but just didn't leave her mark on the game as much as she should've. I hate the call, but throughout the game, especially in the first half, I thought they could've blew the game open a bit if they took better shots.
Pretty accurate assessment

Reaction Score
I know most of the criticism in women's college basketball goes to the officials - and deservedly so - but at what point do we start expecting more from the broadcast?

The women’s game is starting to take off, and it’s about time ESPN puts a real A team together. Ryan Ruocco has zero feel for the game, Rebecca Lobo goes out of her way to be “objective” and ends up being wrong half the time, and Holly Rowe is getting paid money to talk about Caitlin Clark smiling during shoot around.

Do better.
Actually the first time with these two I felt the same way. I like Holly though.

Reaction Score
4 moving screens were called on UCONN tonight. Wonder if the refs were warned pregame about a team who runs actual offense with movement using the screen. Just flat out ridiculous refereeing in this game.

Geno 3 secs left you have to secure the ball. Since you're going to call a timeout put your big lineup in for rebounding purposes.

I watched UCONN game gainst NC St. From earlier this year and watched Q, show she can play this game. 40 minutes and not one minute?!?!

Great game Ladies. Forever Bleeding UCONN!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom