UCONN Home Game Atmosphere | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN Home Game Atmosphere

Reaction Score
It’s not remotely true that Gampel has the same energy as AFH.

If they gave the other baseline to students instead of the upper bowl there’d be no one in front of them and it would improve the energy of the building.
It's not the sideline seats. Kansas is all behind the basket and some of the seats are a lot further away from the court than our sections. Our students just don't have it and this is coming from someone in their 20s. And the gimmicky stuff UConn does throughout the game kills the vibe.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
It's not the sideline seats. Kansas is all behind the basket and some of the seats are a lot further away from the court than our sections. Our students just don't have it and this is coming from someone in their 20s. And the gimmicky stuff UConn does throughout the game kills the vibe.
AFH has both baselines as student sections.

I agree about the gimmicky stuff though. I like Connor as a guy and thinks he does what he’s hired to do well, but it’s VERY lame that we have him at all.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Our game day environment could be so much better, but it’s not because of the buildings we play in. Our fans just aren’t rowdy, they sit at the first opportunity, ask the standing fans to sit, and you know we gotta beat the traffic.

The student section died because our program fell in a ditch for like 8 years, and the kids stopped showing up consistently. I know people that were students during the fall off, none of them cared about the traditions, or knew what they were. Going to games became something to do, or an excuse to drink.

Now that we’re back, it’ll be interesting to see what new traditions come up, and if any old stuff can make a return.

Reaction Score
It’s not remotely true that Gampel has the same energy as AFH.

If they gave the other baseline to students instead of the upper bowl there’d be no one in front of them and it would improve the energy of the building.
And it still wouldn't match Allen Fieldhouse.

Reaction Score
Our game day environment could be so much better, but it’s not because of the buildings we play in. Our fans just aren’t rowdy, they sit at the first opportunity, ask the standing fans to sit, and you know we gotta beat the traffic.
It’s not Kansas but gampel was electric for every big east game last year. Players were raving about the atmosphere against freaking Georgetown. I hate xl and hate we play there but nova game 2 years ago was absolutely insane. If you go back and watch the highlights note how many time the announcers, who have been in tons of great environments, go out of the way to bring up the crowd.

I’ll also add the game we just played that inspired this thread all the Kansas players and coaches were saying that’s the loudest they ever heard it. People should watch more non UConn games that aren’t top 10 matchups and see how we stack up.

Imo we have an awesome big time atmosphere in gampel and for the biggest of games in Hartford too. Is it #1 in the country? No but it’s pretty great imo

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
XL games get rowdier than Gampel games since we’ve been back. The local drunks of CT who frequent XL are a lot louder than the students nowadays.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, you know what?
Seth Meyers Stop GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Good luck tomorrow. It kind of seems like you guys may have traded up after Cooley dumped you for Georgetown.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And it still wouldn't match Allen Fieldhouse.
For anybody who made the trip. Thoughts on Lawrence aside from AFH game atmosphere. I heard there were a lot of people at the Wheel and in downtown Lawrence post game. Saw a lot of UConn people and talked to several at the Bird Dog bar at the Oread.

Reaction Score
When did they do that? UConn-Kansas in the XL Center would have been as loud than whatever it was on Friday.
I think the XL Center is more of a neutral court than a true home game at Gampel. No student section anymore.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just giving my opinion, if you don’t like it that’s too damn bad.
That's your like saying my lawn is red. It's not and by calling it your opinion doesn't make it so.

Reaction Score
I think the XL Center is more of a neutral court than a true home game at Gampel. No student section anymore.
have you ever been to an XL game?

Reaction Score
XL games get rowdier than Gampel games since we’ve been back. The local drunks of CT who frequent XL are a lot louder than the students nowadays.
The XL Center’s the only arena I know of, when seated, where you can smell the grease from a deep fryer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
hasn't been an issue for a few years, maybe attend some games and you'd know that.
Apparently, the answer to your question is "Not recently". I still don't understand the obsession over where we play by people that don't go to games. It's clearly not because of any competitive disadvantage, UConn is the champ. UConn is making significantly more money playing in the XL than Gampel and UConn needs the money. No, the XL may not be as loud as AFH at it's loudest like it was last Friday, (according to Self) but it's louder than Gampel. Gampel doesn't direct the sound on to the court the way the XL does.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If we were to host a Kansas want that game on campus. Gampel would be rocking!!!
And the other hand, so would the XL and that is an equivalent size to AFH. Still, I'm inclined to agree with you. I'd love to be able to showcase the campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom