UCONN Home Game Atmosphere | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN Home Game Atmosphere

Reaction Score
Which one do opponents perform the worst at?

Waqoit covered it, but we have complaints about shooting at XL too. I remember checking those #s maybe 3 years ago and it was essentially equal over the 7 years or so I looked at. I think maybe even slightly in favor of XL, but probably a negligible difference.

Reaction Score
We need this bring this back. We also need better color coordination at home games. Everyone, especially all the students, should be wearing white. Blue just blends in way too much

For the 2014 Texas game it was cool they gave out blue and white shirts. They should do that for a big game again

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For those of you who went to the Kansas game or have been their for a game, what is the experience like? How great is the atmosphere?

What needs to be done for UCONN to have that type of atmosphere and home court advantage?

For me, there was change the university made was removing the creativity and fun from the students and the student section maybe around 2010?. They also essentially got rid of the XL Center student section.

UCONN also needs to ditch the XL Center and upgrade Gampel.
Oh, maybe play Kansas there.

Reaction Score
I miss some of the creativity from the student section, like when the students used to read newspapers when the other team’s starting lineups were announced. As mentioned above, I guess they banned that?
they still do that

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
They can't even give National Championship towels to the entire arena. The effort by the Athletic Department is not there presently.
You should go to football games. They’ll promise a promotion giveaway upon entrance, only to find out it’s in one specific entrance near blue lot and they always “run out” of the merchandise. It’s hysterical at this point.

Reaction Score
Well you can't compare Hartford to Green Bay because it's not the Hartford Huskies. And you can't compare Hartford to Lawrence b/c UConn is 30 miles away. If Kansas played at Gampel, then the game would be the THE main event in Storrs/Mansfield like it is in Lawrence or Green Bay.
You have obviously never been to Green Bay. All the streets and hotels and dining places are named for Green Bay hero’s. Seats in the stadium are handed down from generation. Many practices are open to visitors. Storrs is nowhere in the same league as Green Bay.

Reaction Score
For those of you who went to the Kansas game or have been their for a game, what is the experience like? How great is the atmosphere?

What needs to be done for UCONN to have that type of atmosphere and home court advantage?

For me, there was change the university made was removing the creativity and fun from the students and the student section maybe around 2010?. They also essentially got rid of the XL Center student section.

UCONN also needs to ditch the XL Center and upgrade Gampel.
Allen Fieldhouse is the best arena atmosphere in cbb no question. It outdoes Cameron, Rupp and the Dean dome easily. Gampel/XL arent even top 10 so the comparison isnt close and wont be. The student section at Allen is 3 times the size of Camerons sitting courtsize. Until we can get that type of student section we cant even have a discussion.

Reaction Score
You should go to football games. They’ll promise a promotion giveaway upon entrance, only to find out it’s in one specific entrance near blue lot and they always “run out” of the merchandise. It’s hysterical at this point.
They've all but done away with compelling halftime shows.

Reaction Score
Haven’t been to AFH but did I see a few games at Cole Field House (Maryland) back in the day and it is just such a different, more vibrant atmosphere. Games at Gampel are kinda boring from the student standpoint and I say this as someone who had season tickets from 99-02. Even the loudest games I remember (MSU in 99) did not have the same buzz as a random Maryland-NC St game at the same time. AFH seemed like an incredible atmosphere and I think it definitely contributed to how sluggish we were at the start.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Allen Fieldhouse is the best arena atmosphere in cbb no question. It outdoes Cameron, Rupp and the Dean dome easily. Gampel/XL arent even top 10 so the comparison isnt close and wont be. The student section at Allen is 3 times the size of Camerons sitting courtsize. Until we can get that type of student section we cant even have a discussion.

I do put blame on the students for not getting into it more, putting pressure on the AD for giving them more freedom and working with them, but at some point the finger has to be pointed at the AD and the rest of the fans

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

That’s what I thought. Teams seem to shoot better and perform better at XL. Does XL get louder than Gampel? I’d assume so with 6,000 more people (if the game is sold out). Gampel does get very, very loud so it’s not like it’s ND or UNC. Gampel’s arena is great for a home court advantage with how the seating is setup. Right up to the court.

Reaction Score
I do put blame on the students for not getting into it more, putting pressure on the AD for giving them more freedom and working with them, but at some point the finger has to be pointed at the AD and the rest of the fans
I think thats bs. Its far more profitable to sell the tickets for crazy prices than it is to give them to the students.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think PC is a unique case. There are almost no tickets for Big East games at Gampel. There are at XL, and a school and hour away can take advantage of that.

Some decisions should be obvious, like XL games during winter break. But rather than playing tougher opponents at Gampel, I’d prioritize playinh closer schools at Gampel. PC, St. John’s, Nova. Play Marquette Xavier and Creighton at XL.

Reaction Score
That’s what I thought. Teams seem to shoot better and perform better at XL. Does XL get louder than Gampel? I’d assume so with 6,000 more people (if the game is sold out). Gampel does get very, very loud so it’s not like it’s ND or UNC. Gampel’s arena is great for a home court advantage with how the seating is setup. Right up to the court.

The data does not back this up.

Reaction Score

In fairness half the student section at Allen is reserved for undercover feds monitoring their wiretaps.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Students need to all be in the same color. When I was there, all students got the same t shirt to wear. Students need to be LOUD. We jumped up and down and screamed the entire time we were on defense every possession.

Dream scenario is moving overflow students to the lower bowl, or even sideline. So tired of hearing about how we need to reserve that space for blue hairs from Fairfield with money.

Reaction Score
Students need to all be in the same color. When I was there, all students got the same t shirt to wear. Students need to be LOUD. We jumped up and down and screamed the entire time we were on defense every possession.

Dream scenario is moving overflow students to the lower bowl, or even sideline. So tired of hearing about how we need to reserve that space for blue hairs from Fairfield with money.
Donor money's kind of important.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn's student section in Gampel wasn't even close to full in the non-NCAA years.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Donor money's kind of important.
It’s important for other schools too but they figured it out. It would be rough for a year or two but it would equalize and they’d get over it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn's student section in Gampel wasn't even close to full in the non-NCAA years.

Facts.

Maybe the first row of students (20 kids?) did that for bigger games. Let's not act like Gampel suddenly became Cameron Indoor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom