UCONN Home Game Atmosphere | The Boneyard

UCONN Home Game Atmosphere

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
For those of you who went to the Kansas game or have been their for a game, what is the experience like? How great is the atmosphere?

What needs to be done for UCONN to have that type of atmosphere and home court advantage?

For me, there was change the university made was removing the creativity and fun from the students and the student section maybe around 2010?. They also essentially got rid of the XL Center student section.

UCONN also needs to ditch the XL Center and upgrade Gampel.

Reaction Score
For those of you who went to the Kansas game or have been their for a game, what is the experience like? How great is the atmosphere?

What needs to be done for UCONN to have that type of atmosphere and home court advantage?

For me, there was change the university made was removing the creativity and fun from the students and the student section maybe around 2010?. They also essentially got rid of the XL Center student section.

Remove the A/C in gampel

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It doesn’t really compare. I could have told you that before this game. AFH is loud. Really loud. The fans are, as Hurley said, organized. There is no external organization, it’s just tradition and history. The town, the whole town of almost 80k will be in Jayhawk attire on game day. Every restaurant, bar, shop etc,

UConn has a good atmosphere but you’re comparing it to the best there is.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I read that Bill Self thought it was the loudest he ever heard it at AFH.
Nah. The Guinness Book of Records loudest indoor arena is AFH. I’ve heard it louder, but that was before Self. The building itself is part of why it is loud, not just the fans. XL will never be that loud and Gampel certainly could never be.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Nah. The Guinness Book of Records loudest indoor arena is AFH. I’ve heard it louder, but that was before Self. The building itself is part of why it is loud, not just the fans. XL will never be that loud and Gampel certainly could never be.
Never been to AFH, but can see how the building can be a part of why it’s loud.

MSG is that way because of how tight everything seems to be. It’s not a very wide space like other arenas and it helps the noise part.

Reaction Score
The biggest thing that stuck out to me was lack of in game promotional stuff which was a breath of fresh air. It was strictly basketball with some shoutouts and lots of band.

The student stuff is just different. Kids live and breathe basketball at Kansas.

Reaction Score
We need to be the best at whatever we do. No need to be ever be second to anybody in anything.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I miss some of the creativity from the student section, like when the students used to read newspapers when the other team’s starting lineups were announced. As mentioned above, I guess they banned that?

They were doing that last year so unless they banned it this year it’s still a thing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't think there's enough PCP in Connecticut to equal what we heard Friday.

Reaction Score
COVID messed with our student section, even if you look back in the AAC years like vs Florida or Louisville it’s a totally different feel. COVID ruined what was being passed down year over year. The kids just show up, stand up, and go home these days.

Reaction Score
This was my first time to AFH. It was as loud as it was hot. The only game at UConn that I thought was anywhere near as loud was the game at the XL against Villanova when Hurley got tossed and Kimani took over. The Kansas fans were very nice and respectful The section I was in had approximately40-50 UConn fans and we did the U C O N N cheer several times. I’m curious if that was heard on tv. I will have to wait to watch it when I get home. We are still in Kansas City because we wanted to check out the BBQ scene as well as some local attractions. We went to the Truman Presidential Library yesterday. It was very cool and today we’re going to the Negro Baseball Hall of fame. Overall it was an amazing experience.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Kansas hoops seems like the GB Packers in the sense that they are THE main event in town and EVERYONE gets on board. We don’t have that in CT. We have a large fan base, yes, but not everyone reaches lunatic status like some of us. Our buildings get loud, but not like that place. Last year the best ones were PC, X, Creighton and Nova. Gampel usually gets louder because it’s less cavernous, but if Kansas were to come to XL the place would get wild.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So one other thing I didn’t know until after. I was sitting behind KJ Adams‘ dad and his sister (and GF I believe). KJ’s mom died this week. Students had some “For Yvonne” signs and I think Adams was pretty motivated to play well.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Can’t ditch XL until Gampel is upgraded entirely. XL is a better all around venue for fans for big games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can’t ditch XL until Gampel is upgraded entirely. XL is a better all around venue for fans for big games.
A sold out XL is essentially a wash economically with a sold out Gampel. Using the XL for big games and when students are on break makes sense. Our cost to use it needs to be fixed, though. The CRDA charges us above market rates to subsidize the rest of their failed operation.

Reaction Score
Be a consistently elite program, and find a way to get a top 5 team to come to CT in the OOC schedule

Phog Allen has a capacity of around 16k. So does XL center. Gampel has 10k. So you'd have to assume that a game would have to be played in XL, and there better be free transportation for students

Remember when Villanova came to XL? That was when UConn was still trying to get back to what it is, and that was a crazy atmosphere. But the long story short is that I think if it was Kansas @ UConn instead of the other way around, it would have had the exact same atmosphere

hypercat2.0

We knew
Reaction Score
The Jack in the box jump ups during our free throws made the back of my throat water. The finger fluttering during theirs made my eyes rapidly twitch. Do we really want to go there? I spill enough beer and popcorn on other peoples kids as it is.

Reaction Score
Never been to AFH, but can see how the building can be a part of why it’s loud.

MSG is that way because of how tight everything seems to be. It’s not a very wide space like other arenas and it helps the noise part.
The RAC is like this.

Reaction Score
I miss some of the creativity from the student section, like when the students used to read newspapers when the other team’s starting lineups were announced. As mentioned above, I guess they banned that?

They do that again now at gampel but I think just the lower bowl, can’t remember if they ever do it at xl. But yes, agreed with the overall point that they are lacking creativity these days

Reaction Score
My son graduated in 2021 and sometime before Covid. I remember them doing the newspaper gig because my wife asked him about it so if it was banned it has been since that time I seriously doubt it was banned.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom