UConn-Duke postgame thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn-Duke postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That game was simply Butt Ugly. Hard to believe these Teams were in Sweet Sixteen.

Hopefully Southern Cal watched and is now Way OVER CONFIDENT about what they will see on Monday.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!
"Hard to believe these teams were in Sweet Sixteen"?

In the case of the UConn women who played the entire game without a breather - know it. Believe it. Shots not going in? Sure. Stifling defense? Yep. This team has battled the entire season with a depleted bench and to say that they they don't belong in the Sweet Sixteen is just wrong.

Reaction Score
Win and advance, we got by our not so great game that a lot of team could have taken an L in. I thought coach Lawson seemed a little off in her in game interview am i wrong?

Reaction Score
SO... Does anyone think we won the Sarah Strong Sweepstakes with the win over Duke? Sure hope so. Another big for next year sure would be good.
UConn despite all odds going to the Elite Eight and all we should think about is a recruit coming to UConn? Let's live iand enjoy n the moment: UConn is in the Elite Eight! Celebrate where this team is right now and let next year take care of itself. Next year with the already fantastic commits and returning players we are going to be just fine.

Reaction Score
Well.....a 20 point lead, then.....the last 26 seconds 50 - 45. At least they maintained their composure during that last 26 seconds. Paige going to the line a couple of times did not hurt. Again.....a strong defense going forward is going to make the difference.

Reaction Score
Ugly, ugly, ugly. More than that, this is a team whose players seem to be out of gas.the best conditioning in the world foes not prepare them for playing the whole game without a break.
I have to believe the bect team will be ready to simply wear them out. Geno can do as he did in this game, keeping the starters in until they absolutely have to come out, or he can substitute more liberally, hoping to keep the legs fresh. There are risks to either. I think I would rather see the more players and less exhaustion.
Substitute more liberally? Oh, boy, to have had a full complement of players in such situation is any coaches dream. On the men's side Dan has a wealth of great bench players he can bring in. And on the women's side? Geno did what was necessary last night. Tired legs? Just the adrenaline will keep them fresh. They have made it to the Elite Eight! Next up USC.

Reaction Score
But, but, but, but……, the coach expected his senior player to play smarter, knowing that she already had three fouls. Even if they were wrongly assessed by the referees. Anyway, I am just happy that they got the W, will advance to the E8, and my heart rate is back to normal. Go Huskies! Go UConn!!
I was referring to her second foul with 2+ minutes left in the first half. Left her in,foul #3. Makes no sense. I don't think he understands that it isn't just a matter of being careful in an emotional game, partly because he never played the game at any high level.

Reaction Score
Ugly, ugly, ugly. More than that, this is a team whose players seem to be out of gas.the best conditioning in the world foes not prepare them for playing the whole game without a break.
I have to believe the bect team will be ready to simply wear them out. Geno can do as he did in this game, keeping the starters in until they absolutely have to come out, or he can substitute more liberally, hoping to keep the legs fresh. There are risks to either. I think I would rather see the more players and less exhaustion.
Quick transcription of CD on the radio:
Survive and advance.

CD: Exactly. It was … I think we slowed it down a little bit. Maybe a little too much. They were really tired in the first half. We lost a little gas in 4th.

Defense: First half..

CD: Defense was great. They’re a good defensive team and we are too . Had a great game plan going in. Struggling on the offensive end. Held them on defensive end and came up empty on the offensive end.

We limited their looks Proud we didn’t stop on defensive end when offense didn’t fall.

Late in second – put up a wall up, didn’t want any transition pts. No 3s (they hit a couple). We didn’t go to boards. Because AE sitting down.

This is the same game we lost last year. Nika. I told her I thought she had a great game. Lot of great plays. Big difference. (Held Richardson to 5-13) We gave up some to her left (she likes). Over all terrific job on her.

AE 4th foul – bring in Brady.

CD: Argh. You have to be really smart. We tell our kids, there’s always going to be a questionable call. And one dumb one. Took chance. And she got her 3rd. 4th was offensive. We need to be better. Clutch play – hit that shot.

Duke tie ups? Offense bogged down?

CD: Our players were expecting them to foul because they had fouls to give. Don’t stand and hold ball like bread. (KK. Inexperience?) You need to pivot and turn and get it to another player. We’ll be working on that.

KK – attacked rim well. Big plays early on. Decisions late… came out of a time out w/ a set play but she saw an opening.

I don’t look at them as freshman, but when you get to this point, they’re still freshman.

We win a game (53pts) and Ash didn’t score, and she’s been one of our top scorers the last few games. To do that? Sometimes you just have to grind it out.

Elite 8 – wowa.

Really proud. Really happy for this teams. A lot of “firsts” they’ve experienced that have not been positive. 2 in row etc. Says about out program. Consistency. Don’t realize how hard it is. Happiest for our players – Nika and AE- having to go through last year.. Have opportunity to win a game (unlike last year.)
Love CD. When you think of the UConn Standard, she is a key driver. Watch her sitting next to a player when they come off the floor. She is always coaching with reminders and pointers, She is definitely in the GOAT category and is as much responsible for the success of UConn as Geno.

Reaction Score
And when that happens Geno will get criticized for either not having them prior prepared or the criticism will be he should have put in someone else other than the person he put in or he should have done it earlier . . . :)

I’m really veyr surprised at the overall tone of this thread. I thought there would be more elation as to how great this team has performed rather than relief and future reservation (ie,e if we play like this . . .). every team says that - same with South Carolina after Indiana. Same with UCONN 2 years ago when they beat UCF inthe2nd Round game.

Kara Lawson is a prideful Defensive coach. This stuff that UCONN "can't play like this vs their next opponent. .." well imo ofc they won't. USC has a superstar - they want an open game too. But when you against team like Duke - and you don't have a high powered offense - then ofc if Duke is playing with energy - they can influence the game to be played like this.

But -- we're UCONN! Six players out of which a few are very high impact players and we're in the E8!!!!!!!!!!!! This is an amazing win that we’re in the E8! Couldn’t be more proud of this team and off-topic how about the men!!! Really proud to be a UCONN fan. . . :)
Thank you, hoophuskee.

The tone in this thread instead of being positive has gotten a bit too negative.

Folks, we are in the Elite Eight with six injured players! There is no other Division I school in this country that has done so much with such a depleted roster.

Picking out any deficiency - any at all - at this point in the season with it almost at an end is not being a fan, it's being a critic. We all need to relax and celebrate what these women have accomplished - and don't be ashamed to show it.

Reaction Score
No! UConn already has Caroline who is 6'2" tall and she is not counted as a big. They need someone who can stop the other team's tall post player from dominating in the lane.
Ayanna is 6’2” and is clearly a “big.” It’s more about strength than height. And I think we just saw Aaliyah at 6’3” prevent Kennedy Brown at 6’6” from dominating (or doing much of anything) in the lane. Alyssa Pili is barely 6’1” and is clearly a big.

Tall skinny kids will dread stepping into the lane against shorter stronger kids. Out front court next season will be formidable and intimidating at 6’5” 6’3” 6’3” 6’2” 6’2” (if we count Morgan in the front court) and our guards/wings will also be intimidating at 6’1 6’0” 5’11” 5’11” 5’10” 5’10” 5’9” 5’9”. We will be one of the larger teams in D1 next season.

Sometimes the NC goes to teams like SC with 6’7 6’5” 6’4” and sometimes it goes to teams like LSU with 6’3” 6’2” 6’2”. And just yesterday UCLA just got eliminated with 6’7” 6’5” 6’4”. And don’t get me started about Stanford.

Reaction Score
I was referring to her second foul with 2+ minutes left in the first half. Left her in,foul #3. Makes no sense. I don't think he understands that it isn't just a matter of being careful in an emotional game, partly because he never played the game at any high level.
I'm sure glad that you understand better than Geno. Please remind me again how many Div 1 wins you have.

Reaction Score
KK finally got to the rim a few times and then a few times not. Better though. With Shade being O for Portland it was good to see KK’s offensive contribution.
KK still missing easy layup ! We need those points especially going forward in the tournament.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Although I wore my Everybody Eats UConn shirt and red shorts, I did two other things differently last night. First, I did not race to read this thread after the game, as watching both the M&W teams b2b was enough stress. I also did not go into the chat room as that would have been even more stress based on the folks I saw in the last chat and then in the men's S16 game. Some familiar "faces." That being said ...

Geno has always said that the E8 game is the toughest to win, as you are so close to the final four. For our team this year, I thought yesterday's S16 game was going to be the biggest hurdle, mostly mental. Although Edwards and Muhl were the only ones that played vs OSU, Paige, Azzi, Ice, Amari, Caroline, Aubrey, Ayanna, Jana, and Ines all experienced the absolute shock of losing. That's a huge collective burden that only five of them were available this year that could remedy last year's bad experience.

Reaction Score
And when that happens Geno will get criticized for either not having them prior prepared or the criticism will be he should have put in someone else other than the person he put in or he should have done it earlier . . . :)

I’m really veyr surprised at the overall tone of this thread. I thought there would be more elation as to how great this team has performed rather than relief and future reservation (ie,e if we play like this . . .). every team says that - same with South Carolina after Indiana. Same with UCONN 2 years ago when they beat UCF inthe2nd Round game.

Kara Lawson is a prideful Defensive coach. This stuff that UCONN "can't play like this vs their next opponent. .." well imo ofc they won't. USC has a superstar - they want an open game too. But when you against team like Duke - and you don't have a high powered offense - then ofc if Duke is playing with energy - they can influence the game to be played like this.

But -- we're UCONN! Six players out of which a few are very high impact players and we're in the E8!!!!!!!!!!!! This is an amazing win that we’re in the E8! Couldn’t be more proud of this team and off-topic how about the men!!! Really proud to be a UCONN fan. . . :)
With you completely. The team with six players is going to the elite 8 by beating a team that took out a 2 seed on the road and with paige not shooting
Her normal percentage!!
A GREAT WIN!!

Reaction Score
Dawne Staley plays a deep bench too. This helps make SC an attractive destination for recruits- the odds of being buried on the bench and not getting playing time are lower.
I guess this is a backhanded critique of Geno versus Dawn. Might be well to look at the overall record.

If Dawn who was a great player and now a great coach is so fortunate as to win 11 national championships and scores of other womens' basketball achievements, I would be inclined to agree. But the record speaks for itself. Geno knows what he is doing. He plays who he feels can best contribute to the game being played. No one will be buried on the bench and will get playing time who shows up in practice every day as not only ready but capable by what they show in practice as able to contribute. This is Division I college basketball not high school.

Reaction Score
I am still shocked, but yet thankful, that Duke did not press us from the start of the game. When Duke got within 2-5 points and they started pressing, I was like "we didn't learn anything from that Ohio State game" We dodge a bullet.
I agree! But Duke took full advantage at the end of the game of a UCONN team that was exhausted & trying to run out the clock. Plus, the refs decided to put their whistles away in the 4th quarter & allowed contact tht was called earlier.

Reaction Score
The team will do better on Monday. They flew across the country and were playing at 8:30 pm. I don’t care how young you are…starting a game that late is going to throw you off. I’m sure they will be rested by Monday. In addition, I don’t think USC’s defense is anything like Duke’s. Hence, that will also help plus not to mention that I doubt Paige will have a back to back game where she is at off (I’m sure Ash will be back on track too).

I’m just happy the team has a good shot at making it to the Final Four. I wasn’t expecting this at all with the injuries, and the way they were playing against top competition during the year. Go Huskies!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
False. Duke just played 9 players against us. No way there bench is that deep. You coach kids for their roles and you live with a mistake the same way you live with your starters who make mistakes. Q provides a 3 point threat that is why you play her for limited minutes.
False. If true, why were they sitting on the bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom