2023 Recruiting: - UConn commit Youssouf Singare article from the Register | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: UConn commit Youssouf Singare article from the Register

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good article. Didn't see it posted.

“Very, very humble kid, works hard. It’s not a cliché, but really one of the hardest workers I’ve ever seen,” Harrington said. “A leader, on and off the floor. A real, true testament to a lot of things (Dan Hurley) does where he wants to win, and it shows. I think that’s the big thing he’s going to bring to UConn. With Hurley, the toughness, the guys he likes, I think Youssouf will fit in easily.”

Alternate free link:

UConn commit Youssouf Singare is a center from Mali with great work ethic. Sound familiar?

Reaction Score
Another article today on Singare. Lots of talk about how he could fit into the rotation assuming Sanogo has left.

“He’s going to be an impact on the defensive end as soon as he gets to UConn,” Weyhe said.

But he’s an emerging offensive force.

“[He can] catch and shoot definitely [from] 15 feet. you see him really shoot [from] the elbow, a little bit from the key, but mainly he rim runs, he’s able to play a little bit above the rim,” he said.

Reaction Score
Assuming Sanogo stays (I don’t think he’ll get much NBA interest), our frontcourt will be Karaban/Samson/Sanogo/Clingan/Singare. That is STACKED

I wonder what the best way to split minutes would be. Give Singare a year to get used to the college game on the bench?

Try to re-build Karaban to a 3 and Sanogo to a 4 in the off-season? But we also have likely AJax at the 3 and Stewart/Ross coming in. Possibly Alleyne coming back if he takes his extra year

Running a super tall lineup with Castle/Andre/Karaban/Sanogo/Clingan would be funnnnn

Obviously all speculation and not worth thinking about yet, but it’s fun lol

Reaction Score
Sounds like Youssouf is the little brother Donovan never had. This is going go be interesting!

Reaction Score
Assuming Sanogo stays (I don’t think he’ll get much NBA interest), our frontcourt will be Karaban/Samson/Sanogo/Clingan/Singare. That is STACKED

I wonder what the best way to split minutes would be. Give Singare a year to get used to the college game on the bench?

Try to re-build Karaban to a 3 and Sanogo to a 4 in the off-season? But we also have likely AJax at the 3 and Stewart/Ross coming in. Possibly Alleyne coming back if he takes his extra year

Running a super tall lineup with Castle/Andre/Karaban/Sanogo/Clingan would be funnnnn

I know you said it’s too soon and it is, but I think if Sanogo were to stay, Samson might potentially transfer. We have to see what he’s able to do this year to know how committed he could be to playing in this hypothetical platoon frontcourt

Reaction Score

I would rather Karaban bulk up a bit and be a stretch 4 with great range than try to move to the 3. Think he's got all of the tools to play the 4 he just needs experience and a few more years in a college weightroom. Think that's more likely than him improving his foot speed and lateral movement enough to be a really effective 3.

Reaction Score
dont hold your breath. clingan demands the starting C spot next year. he's pushing sanogo out regardless of him getting drafted. sanogo will make a lot of money playing in europe.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
"Of course, we’re a long way from figuring out next season’s roster. Sanogo could return for his senior season. But that seems very unlikely. Although the 6-9 Sanogo is probably a second-round NBA draft pick, at best, there are few players more determined to make it in the NBA. Sanogo will almost certainly turn pro at season’s end. "

I think Sanogo can play in the NBA. He can still improve his athleticism a bit, and I don't doubt that he can become a good outside shooter. He'd be a solid swing 4-5 in the modern game, role kind of like Al Horford has.

Reaction Score
He'd be a solid swing 4-5 in the modern game, role kind of like Al Horford has.
i dont see it. horford was a good shot blocker when he was younger, career 36.5% shooter from 3 on decent volume, and remains one of the best passing bigs in the league. sanogo is not a good shotblocker, is just starting to hit wide open college 3s, and has borderline tunnel vision.

there are better comps out there. david west? zach randolph?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would rather Karaban bulk up a bit and be a stretch 4 with great range than try to move to the 3. Think he's got all of the tools to play the 4 he just needs experience and a few more years in a college weightroom. Think that's more likely than him improving his foot speed and lateral movement enough to be a really effective 3.
I have to disagree simply because the word on Karaban coming out of HS was that he had both a superior mid-range game and terrific passing abilities, besides his 3 pt shot.

Playing him at the 4, like this year, has pretty much handicapped his chance to use his full arsenal. Traditional power forwards, and even stretch 4’s, are plentiful.

3’s who can do everything Karaban can do (but not if he’s playing as a 4) are rare.

Reaction Score
i dont see it. horford was a good shot blocker when he was younger, career 36.5% shooter from 3 on decent volume, and remains one of the best passing bigs in the league. sanogo is not a good shotblocker, is just starting to hit wide open college 3s, and has borderline tunnel vision.

Sanogo's block rate is way down this year (has to be a schematic change), but previous 2 years he was right in the same neighborhood as Horford was all 3 years in college- 6-7%. Horford didn't make a single 3 in college and had mediocre FT shooting numbers (Sanogo's 75% this season is the best single season of either he or Horford).

Reaction Score
I believe in Sanogo. Any NBA team that drafts him will get a player whom won’t stop improving his game until he becomes an impact player in the league. Exactly the same trajectory his game has taken in the two+ years he’s played at UConn.

Reaction Score
Sanogo's block rate is way down this year (has to be a schematic change), but previous 2 years he was right in the same neighborhood as Horford was all 3 years in college- 6-7%. Horford didn't make a single 3 in college and had mediocre FT shooting numbers (Sanogo's 75% this season is the best single season of either he or Horford).
given our inability to stay in front of perimeter players i'd be very confused by a schematic change causing our starting C to block fewer shots than he should

Reaction Score
given our inability to stay in front of perimeter players i'd be very confused by a schematic change causing our starting C to block fewer shots than he should
Block rate is usually pretty static (or rather it usually goes UP over time if it changes). Something changed. It's possible we ARE doing a better job of preventing penetration. Hurley's teams have historically overplayed the perimeter and given up some penetration into the paint. It's possible we're pushing more of it sideline as opposed to down the middle.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It’s definitely a change. I don’t get why people aren‘t seeing it. He’s in the Whaley role this year, or close to it. He’s been asked to challenge on the perimeter and has rarely been left in the paint. He can block shots.

I’m not saying he’s Al Horford, a multi year all star, I’m simply saying a strong 6’9” guy with elite interior offense and an outside shot that can probably keep improving a lot can certainly find a spot in the NBA. He has great soft touch. There’s no reason he can’t become a a really good outside shooter. Strength is the key to NBA interior D, not hops.

Reaction Score

Horford took 4 total 3s in college.

Bigs develop a lot in the NBA, especially nowadays.

Reaction Score
I put Singare in the Johnson category - he'll need a year of seasoning before becoming able to impact things.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree simply because the word on Karaban coming out of HS was that he had both a superior mid-range game and terrific passing abilities, besides his 3 pt shot.

Playing him at the 4, like this year, has pretty much handicapped his chance to use his full arsenal. Traditional power forwards, and even stretch 4’s, are plentiful.

3’s who can do everything Karaban can do (but not if he’s playing as a 4) are rare.
He’s having trouble guarding 4s off the bounce. I don‘t see how that isn’t going to get much worse trying to move him to the 3 slot.

caw

Reaction Score
He’s having trouble guarding 4s off the bounce. I don‘t see how that isn’t going to get much worse trying to move him to the 3 slot.

His length and height could help against threes, where fours outmuscle him and have similar, or more length.

Singare is an interesting player and seems like he could grow into a solid college player. Lot's of athletic bigs contributing around the country. A lot will depend on how quickly he picks up defensive rotations and how well he screens on offense.

Reaction Score
t’s definitely a change. I don’t get why people aren‘t seeing it. He’s in the Whaley role this year, or close to it. He’s been asked to challenge on the perimeter and has rarely been left in the paint. He can block shots.
how can sanogo be in the whaley role from last year when whaley was our PF and sanogo was/is our C? whaley was constantly challenging on the perimeter primarily because he was guarding other 4s, so the only time sanogo should be playing that role is when he's on the floor with clingan. otherwise when sanogo is playing C he's still having to hard hedge and recover to the paint, like he was asked to last year, but doing it better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
how can sanogo be in the whaley role from last year when whaley was our PF and sanogo was/is our C? whaley was constantly challenging on the perimeter primarily because he was guarding other 4s, so the only time sanogo should be playing that role is when he's on the floor with clingan. otherwise when sanogo is playing C he's still having to hard hedge and recover to the paint, like he was asked to last year, but doing it better.
Where possible, we'd have Whaley guard the guy they usually used to set the screens so that he was the one hedging. But if Sanogo couldn't guard the 4, Whaley was out of the game, or if the team just auto used whomever Sanogo was guarding to avoid Whaley, he'd be in the hedges.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Where possible, we'd have Whaley guard the guy they usually used to set the screens so that he was the one hedging. But if Sanogo couldn't guard the 4, Whaley was out of the game, or if the team just auto used whomever Sanogo was guarding to avoid Whaley, he'd be in the hedges.
Yep. And Alex isn’t doing what Whaley did. So Sanogo is, to some extent. They dialed it back, but he’s simply not in the paint as often as he was in the past on the defensive end. He has relatively fewer opportunities for blocks. Clingan sits in the paint more than anyone since Josh, more than Adama ever has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom