UConn Coaches Road Show Returns June 4 (Southington) & June 5 (Stamford) | The Boneyard

UConn Coaches Road Show Returns June 4 (Southington) & June 5 (Stamford)

Reaction Score

-> The Road Show will commence on Tuesday, June 4 at Kinsmen Brewing Company in Southington, Connecticut. The panel of Husky coaches will feature Women's Basketball Head Coach Geno Auriemma, Head Football Coach Jim Mora, Volleyball Head Coach Ellen Herman-Kimball and Women's Ice Hockey Head Coach Chris MacKenzie.

The Road Show will then visit The UConn Stamford Campus in Stamford, Connecticut on Wednesday, June 5 and feature a coaches panel with Women's Basketball Head Coach Geno Auriemma, Head Men's Basketball Coach Dan Hurley, Head Football Coach Jim Mora and Women's Soccer Head Coach Margaret Rodriguez. <-

Last edited:
Reaction Score

-> The Road Show will commence on Tuesday, June 4 at Kinsmen Brewing Company in Southington, Connecticut. The panel of Husky coaches will feature Women's Basketball Head Coach Geno Auriemma, Head Football Coach Jim Mora, Volleyball Head Coach Ellen Herman-Kimball and Women's Ice Hockey Head Coach Chris MacKenzie.

The Road Show will then visit The UConn Stamford Campus in Stamford, Connecticut on Wednesday, June 5 and feature a coaches panel with Women's Basketball Head Coach Geno Auriemma, Head Men's Basketball Coach Dan Hurley, Head Football Coach Jim Mora and Women's Soccer Head Coach Margaret Rodriguez. <-

Good to see MacKenzie has made a good career at UConn. I'm openly a UMass Lowell alum and he was an assistant mens coach once upon a time.

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> Mora realized he needed to be focused on other things in this new NIL and transfer portal-reliant era, so he handed the defensive reigns over to former Mississippi State DC Matt Brock.

“It was imperative that I get a good defensive coordinator so that I could manage things,” he said after Tuesday night’s UConn Coaches Road Showstop in Southington.

“I like being a head coach. The first year I liked fielding the defense, last year I felt a little overwhelmed. But with the changes now, and the new personalities, having to manage the team – and I have a very young staff, there’s not a guy on our staff that’s even 40 years old yet. It was just important to get someone good in so I could do really what I’m supposed to be doing, so I fired myself.”

The change allows him to be more available to everyone in the organization, rather than spending so much of his time in defensive meetings and risking a disconnect with the rest of the team. <-

-> “There’s four guys in there that are all really good players… it’s a really solid room,” he said. “They can all spin it, they can all throw it well, they’re all good decision makers.”

Evers, who comes in after spending time at Oklahoma and Wisconsin but almost never getting an opportunity to play, is in position to compete for a starting spot with the Huskies. “His arm talent is off the charts. He’s a 6-foot-3 guy that’ll weigh 205-210 pounds when the season starts and he runs a 4.5 (40-yard sprint), so he can take off and roll. He can deliver the ball on time, on target, moving out of the pocket to his right or his left. He’s been coached by some really good coaches at Oklahoma and at Wisconsin, so even though he hasn’t played a lot, he’s been exposed to really good coaching and really good competition,” Mora said.

The four quarterbacks have been able to bond in their limited time together, which impressed Evers. “Nick even made that comment to me yesterday, he goes, ‘These guys just want to help me.’ That, to me, tells you your team’s healthy,” Mora said. “We’re lucky. We don’t have any entitled guys on our team. We’ve brought in guys from the Big Ten, the SEC and the Big 12 and all of them at some point will come up to me and say, ‘Wow, this is different. Guys here, they just embrace me, they’re glad I’m here.’ A guy from the SEC said, ‘The way we work is so different than we ever worked at my former school.'” <-

Assisted access <<

Reaction Score
He knew this when he accepted the job. But hey there was or is a CUSA offer. Win big there, get a better invite, petition for an on campus stadium...
From Graham Chamberlain’s Storrs Central UConn Coach’s Road Show Recap:

-> After the event, I was able to get some time with Coach Mora to talk about the upcoming season. When asked about if he was discouraged coming off last season, he disagreed, saying “we have a lot of challenges here. There’s only two teams that are independent, us and Notre Dame (UMass is independent for this season, but will be joining the MAC in 2025), we don’t have an on campus stadium, so it’s hard. I don’t get discouraged... recognize the challenges, but don’t get discouraged.” <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bballmicmac

Top Bottom