Men - UConn @ California (Friday 2/23/24 @9p, Saturday 2/24/24 @5p & Sunday 2/25/24 @4p) *All times EST.* Games on PAC12 Cal Live Stream-2 & MIXLR) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ California (Friday 2/23/24 @9p, Saturday 2/24/24 @5p & Sunday 2/25/24 @4p) *All times EST.* Games on PAC12 Cal Live Stream-2 & MIXLR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Top 6th, with 1 out, Tammaro picks up UConn's first walk of the game, and Shpur singles (2nd UConn hit of the game) to put 2 runners on base. A rare scoring threat for the UConn offense today, but nothing comes of it. 1-0 Cal.

Reaction Score
Maybe I should take dinner breaks more often. UConn just took a 2-1 lead in the top of the 7th. Minick and Daniels both with RBI singles. UConn loads the bases with 2 out, but no more runs come in after a controversial strikeout call.

During that inning Malcom got a walk and was taken out of the game for a pinch runner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bottom 7th, S. Quigley walks the leadoff batter. Quigley comes out fo the game and Tom Ellisen comes in to pitch.

On a sac bunt, Ellisen with a throwing error, runners now on 1B and 2B with no out. A 1 out 3 run homer gives Cal a 4-2 lead. Ellisen comes out of the game. Braden Quinn takes the mound. Quinn gets the next 2 batters out, the last one with the help of a nice catch of a fly ball by Shpur in CF. 4-2 Cal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kid single-handedly killed us this weekend:

I’m glad this is happening early in the season so I can adjust my expectations a bit. We lost a ton of talent over the last two years and haven’t restocked as much as we have in the past. We’ve got a great team and I’ll root for them until the final pitch of the season but as a fan who historically gets stressed out about the at-large stuff, it can’t hurt to be a bit honest about where we’re at.

Reaction Score
Top 9th, 1 out singles for Tammaro and Shpur, and then Studley is hit by a pitch to load the bases. Nothing comes of it as Dalena and Morton both strikeout, game tied at 4.

Afthim comes in to pitch the top of the 9th.

Reaction Score
Bottom 9th, first 2 Cal batters reach base on singles. With 1 out a hit by pitch loads the bases. A single off the wall scores a run, Cal wins 5-4 and sweeps the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Sweep heading into auburn is not ideal. Chances were there just could let string together big hits when runners were in scoring position.

Reaction Score
Lots to work on, plenty of time to get there. Hitting, pitching, D and baserunning. They need Padilla and Broadhurst back. No idea of how good 8-10 guys who played this weekend are. We’ll see.

Reaction Score
Brutal loss, quick thoughts:

Good
1) Good stream from Cal given one camera and I wasn't expecting to see any of the 3 games. The video was decent quality.
2) SQuigs gave them another quality start. Not sure what his velocity was but he battled. Surprised he came out for 7th.
3) They battled back a couple of times: Garbo with the key HR, thought Daniels swung the bat better (pulling it he's better) but wind was blowing the other way today which hurt (did have the RBI as did Minick) and Malcom in 7th had quality AB with the walk.
4) Assume Padilla sat out due to chasing that foul pop late in yesterday's game where he fell. Let's hope it doesn't linger.

Bad
1) Out of the 5 runs Cal scored 3 scored on free 90s and 1 scored on the error to start the 9th. Cal didn't generate much offense other than the Lomavita HR. Was all given to them via free 90s and the errors.
2) Timely hitting was absent. Tammaro struck out with 2nd/3rd late, and Studley, Dalena, and Morton all struck out with bases loaded late. Dalena/Morton didn't have quality ABs they chased.
3) I'm going to be tough on Tammaro. He hasn't played a good SS through 2 weeks. 4 errors in 6 games. Only saw it once but that play to start the 9th a D1 SS has to make. I'm at the point where they may have to put Bry back at SS and find a spot for Tammaro because you need his bat in the lineup.
4) Also surprised they tried pitching to Lomavita in the 9th with/ 1st and 3rd. Killed them all weekend but whatever it's moot since Green finished it off
5) Need to put all 3 of the phases together in a single game. That's not happening at present.

Lick the wounds, work on areas of improvement, and get ready for a very good Auburn team next weekend.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Lots to work on, plenty of time to get there. Hitting, pitching, D and baserunning.
That's pretty much every facet of the game... and you're correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom