Men - UConn @ California (Friday 2/23/24 @9p, Saturday 2/24/24 @5p & Sunday 2/25/24 @4p) *All times EST.* Games on PAC12 Cal Live Stream-2 & MIXLR) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ California (Friday 2/23/24 @9p, Saturday 2/24/24 @5p & Sunday 2/25/24 @4p) *All times EST.* Games on PAC12 Cal Live Stream-2 & MIXLR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bottom 4th, Coe leaves 2 runners on base to finally get out of the inning. 4-3 Cal, as they batted around the order.

Reaction Score
Top 5th, after the leadoff homer, UConn offense goes down in order. Game tied at 4.

Reaction Score
Bottom 5th, Coe strikes out the first 2 batters, but then gives up a 2 out 2 run homer. 6-4 Cal going to the top of the 6th.

I would think Coe may very well be done for this game, but we'll see.

Reaction Score
Top 6th, after 2 strikeouts, Studley with a 2 out walk, he advances to 2B on a wild pitch. That is it for the UConn offense that inning. 6-4 Cal.

Tom Ellisen takes the mound for UConn.

Reaction Score
Bottom 6th, with 1 out Cal gets 2 runners in scoring position. A fielders choice gets the runner out at the plate for the 2nd out. Ellisen comes out of the game, Braden Quinn coming in to pitch with 2 runners in scoring position to face a lefty hitter. Quinn gets a strikeout to end the inning with no runs coming in. 6-4 Cal.

Reaction Score
Top 7th, Garbowski with a 1 out single for his second hit of the game, but that is it for the UConn offense that inning. 6-4 Cal.

Cam Mayer replaces Quinn on the mound for UConn.

Reaction Score
Bottom 7th, Mayer gives up a no out 2 run homer, 8-4 Cal. After giving up a no out single, Mayer comes out of the game, he has not gotten anyone out yet while pitching for UConn. Joe Cinnella takes the mound.

Cinnella retires the next 3 batters to get out of the inning. 8-4 Cal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Top 8th, Shpur pinch hits for Kron, he pops out for the first out, Shpur will likely take over in CF. UConn offense goes down in order. 8-4 Cal.

Reaction Score
Bottom 8th, Cinnella gets a strikeout for the first out, he comes out of the game. Freshman Tom Turner takes the mound for his first appearance for the Huskies.

Turner walks the first batter he faces, he comes out of the game, and freshman Charlie West takes the mound, making his debut appearance with UConn. West gets a ground out for the 2nd out, and comes out of the game. Joe Carrea takes the mound with a runner at 2B.

Carrea gives up a walk, then gets a strikeout to end the inning. 8-4 Cal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good
1) Moved Morton out of the leadoff spot. Now just needs to move Daniels to leadoff.
2) Garbo drove the ball well
3) Early ABs were good although outside of 2 solo HRs only scored 2 runs even with 3 HBPs. Should have had more and it cost them.
4) Coe had good stuff (from the 1 camera view) but was bit by HRs and then sloppy defense. That's a nice field to hit at especially for right-handed bats when the wind is calm. Leave the ball up you'll get hurt there. But I thought he went after hitters and threw well. The results didn't reflect that.
5) Quinn came in and did a nice job on Green when the game was tight

Bad
1) Defense was sloppy (3 errors) Tammaro's didn't hurt but the dropped pop fly and throwing the ball around did.
2) Mid-late ABs were deja vu of Tampa. Cal bullpen was the difference in the game. They shut the door. Game was 3-0 early then got outscored 8-1 with only the Garbo HR
3) Mayer struggled again and as I believe dbmill posted hasn't gotten an out. Was hit hard again and the HR he gave up Uconn semi-lost contact and Cal got space
4) Keeping it real: Under the assumption Broadhurst misses extended time, having both Simmons/Kron in the lineup isn't the solution. Pick one of them to play CF and get another bat in the lineup. It can be Malcom, or whomever but that needs to change. With no Broadhurst they need more pop.

Reaction Score
Good
1) Moved Morton out of the leadoff spot. Now just needs to move Daniels to leadoff.
2) Garbo drove the ball well
3) Early ABs were good although outside of 2 solo HRs only scored 2 runs even with 3 HBPs. Should have had more and it cost them.
4) Coe had good stuff (from the 1 camera view) but was bit by HRs and then sloppy defense. That's a nice field to hit at especially for right-handed bats when the wind is calm. Leave the ball up you'll get hurt there. But I thought he went after hitters and threw well. The results didn't reflect that.
5) Quinn came in and did a nice job on Green when the game was tight

Bad
1) Defense was sloppy (3 errors) Tammaro's didn't hurt but the dropped pop fly and throwing the ball around did.
2) Mid-late ABs were deja vu of Tampa. Cal bullpen was the difference in the game. They shut the door. Game was 3-0 early then got outscored 8-1 with only the Garbo HR
3) Mayer struggled again and as I believe dbmill posted hasn't gotten an out. Was hit hard again and the HR he gave up Uconn semi-lost contact and Cal got space
4) Keeping it real: Under the assumption Broadhurst misses extended time, having both Simmons/Kron in the lineup isn't the solution. Pick one of them to play CF and get another bat in the lineup. It can be Malcom, or whomever but that needs to change. With no Broadhurst they need more pop.
I was annoyed Penders put out the same 9 as Tampa… TC got picked off twice which should’ve had him out of the lineup imo and Kron’s bat doesn’t seem ready yet. I would like to see Shpur get a chance in Center and maybe Malcom as a bat as well. But, other than that they played very well in the first half of the game and terrible in the second half, need to clean that up and get these 2 wins and take the weekend.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The Cal PAC-12 Network Stream was pretty good last night. I cast it from my phone to my tv so got to watch it on the big screen. Couldn’t listen to CJ, however, because the broadcasts just didn’t match up. The homer announcer wasn’t terrible until the 8th inning when he started complaining about all of UConn's pitching changes. He might have had a point about UConn games running long, but it’s college baseball and Penders was doing what he had to do. Anyway, looking forward to doing it again today with a better outcome. Just wish I could sync up CJ’s call and the broadcast.

Reaction Score
When he hints at lineup changes he usually doesn’t disappoint so based on that I would expect to see some different faces out there today. Small park and hitter friendly hopefully we can take advantage of that today and get our pitching more support…

Reaction Score
When he hints at lineup changes he usually doesn’t disappoint so based on that I would expect to see some different faces out there today. Small park and hitter friendly hopefully we can take advantage of that today and get our pitching more support…
Agree with all your points. I'm going to cherry-pick some stats. 2 disclaimers: 1) I'm not advocating benching all these guys and 2) I get @businesslawyer points on small sample size, pitching ahead of hitting, etc.....however:

1) Simmons/Minick/Kron are 2-40 (.050) this year. That's 1/3 of the lineup hitting .050.
- Minick has made decent contact and put 2 balls to the track in Tampa so I don't want to be harsh on him AND he's the 3B of the future (which is bright)
- And once again Kron couldn't get a bunt down for the 3rd time in 4 games. If you had last year's lineup with Ben, Smitty, Dom, and Luke you could potentially stick Kron 9th and ride his defense because I enjoy watching him play CF. In the current lineup, you don't have that luxury.
- My point is that given these numbers Malcom, Shpur, or somebody else deserves a shot today.
2) Morton has K'd 10x in 18 ABs. That's a staggering statistic. Until Morton can show he can hit and/or lay off breaking stuff he won't see many fastballs. I know I wouldn't throw him a fastball.
3) In part because of the above a team that wants to run can't run.

Let's see what happens today. Can still win a series.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I was a bit surprised that Malcom has not had any playing yet considering how much attention his hitting got during the fall and preseason. We'll see if that changes during the games this weekend. I figured during the off season that Malcom would get some time at the D.H. spot, but it hasn't happened yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom