Men - UConn @ California Baptist University Lancers (Friday 3/15/23 *1138p* EDT, Saturday 3/16/24 @8p EDT & Sunday 3/17/24 @5p EDT) Sat./Sun. on ESPN+/Mixlr | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ California Baptist University Lancers (Friday 3/15/23 *1138p* EDT, Saturday 3/16/24 @8p EDT & Sunday 3/17/24 @5p EDT) Sat./Sun. on ESPN+/Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Top 7th, after the Studley homer, UConn gets 2 runners on base (a Hyde walk and a Padilla single with 1 out, and Daniels comes up with an RBI single, bringing Hyde in to score, 8-0 UConn. A double play ends the inning.

Reaction Score
Top 9th, with 1 out, Hyde gets a single, his first hit of the season. Drew Kron pinch hits for Simmons, he gets a 1 out single putting 2 runners on base. Kron is thrown out trying to steal 2B for the final out of the inning. 8-0 UConn.

Kron takes over in CF. Coe on the mound to start the 9th.

Reaction Score
  • Coe pitched a nice game. Control wobbled in the 3rd but he got out of it and settled down. Was surprised they let him go to 123 but it was a low-stress 123. Happy for Coe on the complete game shutout. Preserves bullpen for big game tomorrow.
  • Malcom hits the HR and gets thrown out of the game. They won the game so can have a laugh on that one. Not sure I've seen that before. He must have said the magic word. Lesson learned.
  • Pretty clean game, solid defense.
  • Getting thrown out stealing bases more this year, didn't happen in 2023.
  • Offense playing long ball, rallies still at a premium
  • Luke is struggling at the plate.
  • Kron made a nice catch in the 9th. He should just be living in the batting cage. Defense is top shelf.
  • They can get to 4-4 on this trip with a win Sunday AND win a series. After starting trip 0-3 at UCSB that seemed improbable. Would be huge. Bullpen should be fully rested and ready to go. Also would make it 4 out of 5.

Reaction Score
This team is tough to figure out, but of course, that’s baseball when you have inconsistent starting pitching.

Tomorrow is a huge game to end the road trip.

Reaction Score
Nice bounce back win with a chance at a series win and much needed momentum. I no longer want a few rainouts this week, the more games they can play currently, the better.

I’m concerned about the reliance on the long ball. I say this b/c of Morton’s 2 hr game…he’s their fastest player by far and yet has 3 sb attempts. He has a high K total while never working walks. He’s a great player, but I don’t think that’s gonna benefit the overall trajectory of the team with those variables remaining the same. He’s gonna get his 10 plus hr this season which is why the overall HR total concerns, as a team, coming into the season were not as concerning to me as these trends are. The “power” hitters like Broadhurst Malcom Garbo…the expectation to hit some bombs…the Studley’s Tammaro’s Daniels Morton’s need to have high OBP timely hitting (risp), stolen bases, hit for avg, create havoc on base paths by getting on base consistently and letting Penders do what he does best…situational baseball, putting pressure on the opposing team. Your guys gotta get on base to do that. It’s great when the long ball is happening but it’s tough to manufacture runs with consistently high strikeout totals at the plate and the lack of OBP as a whole. Don’t take this as being negative or down on last nights win or the outlook for the season, I just think their roster is better suited to play old fashioned baseball. Let’s hope for a series win today, take care of biz tues/wed and off to Rutgers for an important road series.

Reaction Score
IMG_3928.jpeg

Reaction Score
Nice bounce back win with a chance at a series win and much needed momentum. I no longer want a few rainouts this week, the more games they can play currently, the better.

I’m concerned about the reliance on the long ball. I say this b/c of Morton’s 2 hr game…he’s their fastest player by far and yet has 3 sb attempts. He has a high K total while never working walks. He’s a great player, but I don’t think that’s gonna benefit the overall trajectory of the team with those variables remaining the same. He’s gonna get his 10 plus hr this season which is why the overall HR total concerns, as a team, coming into the season were not as concerning to me as these trends are. The “power” hitters like Broadhurst Malcom Garbo…the expectation to hit some bombs…the Studley’s Tammaro’s Daniels Morton’s need to have high OBP timely hitting (risp), stolen bases, hit for avg, create havoc on base paths by getting on base consistently and letting Penders do what he does best…situational baseball, putting pressure on the opposing team. Your guys gotta get on base to do that. It’s great when the long ball is happening but it’s tough to manufacture runs with consistently high strikeout totals at the plate and the lack of OBP as a whole. Don’t take this as being negative or down on last nights win or the outlook for the season, I just think their roster is better suited to play old fashioned baseball. Let’s hope for a series win today, take care of biz tues/wed and off to Rutgers for an important road series.

So far Morton only has 2 walks this season. This is a big change from last season, where he drew a solid number of walks. Before last season, Morton never drew many walks in his time at UConn, so last season is the exception in this regard.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen any mention anywhere of why Malcom was thrown out of the game after his homer. If we don't hear anything before the game, hoping that Chris Jones says something about it during the game broadcast tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom