UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 51 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
Matt Garbowski under Class M.
Braden Quinn under Class M.

By the way, Hank Penders, son of Coach Penders also made it.

Also on the list is Connor Podeszwa, who is the son of UConn baseball's Assistant Volunteer Coach Chris Podeszwa.

Reaction Score
Just looked at BB Ref and he’s killed it so far in High A this year… 2 starts, 8 innings, 15 strikeouts, only 1 walk and 1 hit apiece.
Another update on him

Michael Burrows, RHP PIT (High-A) 4.2 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 K

Former 11th round selection out of the Connecticut High School ranks, has been pitching well to start the season, with 31 punchouts in just 20.2 innings thus far. The Pirates had a complete front office makeover since the last MiLB season and it seems like their pitching prospects are some of the main benefactors of the new regime.

Reaction Score

Attachments

• 7119D3C4-F4AF-4549-A0BF-EB6A3717A725.jpeg
    7119D3C4-F4AF-4549-A0BF-EB6A3717A725.jpeg
    598.7 KB · Views: 127
Reaction Score
Mentioned in another recent article as well.

“Lastly, on the prep pitching front, I tweeted just after the mock draft about the rise of Connecticut prep lefty Frank Mozzicato (UConn commit), who would probably go in the second round if the draft were today -- powered by four straight no-hitters and a knockout curveball.”

Reaction Score
@dbmill - you pulling a incoming class list together (as we know it)? I know you had one a while back so I don’t want to duplicate efforts.

If you don’t have time - LMK and I’ll pull something together over next few days.

Reaction Score
@dbmill - you pulling a incoming class list together (as we know it)? I know you had one a while back so I don’t want to duplicate efforts.

If you don’t have time - LMK and I’ll pull something together over next few days.

I have it sitting in a file on my computer, so as long as my computer is willing, I can pull it up:

Class of 2021

Matthew Garbowski - C/OF
Zach Stephenson - OF
Jackson Ferrigno - SS
Jack Petersen - SS
Kolby Pascarelli - OF

Frank Mozzicato - LHP
Owen Kellington - RHP
Craig Pihlkar - RHP
Braden Quinn - LHP
Jack Sullivan - RHP
Ian Cooke - RHP
Brady Afthim - RHP
Ramsey Collins - RHP
Thomas Ellisen - RHP
Joe Wozny - RHP

Cole Chudoba - RHP - Grad transfer from Assumption.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I have it sitting in a file on my computer, so as long as my computer is willing, I can pull it up:

Class of 2021

Matthew Garbowski - C/OF
Zach Stephenson - OF
Jackson Ferrigno - SS
Jack Petersen - SS
Kolby Pascarelli - OF

Frank Mozzicato - LHP
Owen Kellington - RHP
Craig Pihlkar - RHP
Braden Quinn - LHP
Jack Sullivan - RHP
Ian Cooke - RHP
Brady Afthim - RHP
Ramsey Collins - RHP
Thomas Ellisen - RHP
Joe Wozny - RHP

Does Henry Penders need to be added as a Catcher?

Reaction Score

Class of 2021

Matthew Garbowski - C/OF
Zach Stephenson - OF
Jackson Ferrigno - SS
Jack Petersen - SS
Kolby Pascarelli - OF

Frank Mozzicato - LHP
Owen Kellington - RHP
Craig Pihlkar - RHP
Braden Quinn - LHP
Jack Sullivan - RHP
Ian Cooke - RHP
Brady Afthim - RHP
Ramsey Collins - RHP
Thomas Ellisen - RHP
Joe Wozny - RHP

May as well throw in future seasons in recruiting as well:

High school class of 2022

Levi McAllister - C
Noah Sorensen - SS
Maddix Dalena - 1B/3B
Ryan Daniels - Inf
Niki Brini - OF
Drew Kron - OF
Ryan Juliano - Inf

Gavin Greger - LHP/OF
Sam Clark - RHP
JJ Hood - RHP
John McGowan - RHP

High school Class of 2023

Sean Stephenson - 3B

High school Class of 2024

Gabriel Tirado - C

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

->One way or another, Mozzicato is trending toward a seven-figure payday come July 11. He has also been committed to UConn — which has its own sterling reputation for producing pro pitchers — since the 10th grade. Head coach Jim Penders, the father of Mozzicato’s catcher, is an East Catholic alum.

School or pro, a life-changing decision looms on the horizon.“It’s definitely crazy,” Mozzicato said. “It’s a month away, so it’s not my focus right now ... all that stuff is cool and exciting, but I can focus on it later, after the season is over.”

While he isn’t focused on the draft, 30 war rooms across MLB are. “It’s going to come down to who has enough faith,” a scout said, noting that teams have less data on Mozzicato than others because of his recent rise. “I think he’ll be picked better than he would have thought on April 1 put it that way. ... Where the projections are, I don’t think teams are scared off by [Mozzicato signing with] UConn. I think UConn is more scared of the teams right now.” <-

Reaction Score
The Danbury Westerners of the NECBL list a Connor Harding on their roster, and they list his school as UConn. Some searching found that Harding has been a star center fielder and left handed hitter for the Scranton Royals of the Landmark League. I found an article that says Harding is transferring to UConn, I'm guessing as a grad student.

This story was written in late April, which explains why the stats in the story are not quite the same as the stats from the Scranton athletics webpage:

He has a .417 career average, 154 hits, 90 runs, 19 doubles, 12 triples, five homers, 76 RBIs, 41 stolen bases and a .575 slugging percentage. That's why he's heading to the University of Connecticut to give Division I ball a chance next spring. And, it's only part of the reason his head coach believes he should get a chance at professional ball after he's finished with that opportunity.<

Last edited:
Reaction Score

27. San Diego Padres
Frank Mozzicato, LHP, East Catholic
The late popping projection arm of this draft cycle. Mozzicato was way off the radar as recently as a few months ago, but the pitcher from the Connecticut prep ranks rose quickly. There have been rumors connecting San Diego to Mozzicato heavily and he seems like the kind of zag pick A.J. Preller is known for. His fastball sits high-80s to low-90s, but the jewel of his mix is a high-70s hammer curveball he uses to generate swings and misses. There’s a lot to dream on, and the signs of a go-to secondary to build around

Reaction Score

27. San Diego Padres
Frank Mozzicato, LHP, East Catholic
The late popping projection arm of this draft cycle. Mozzicato was way off the radar as recently as a few months ago, but the pitcher from the Connecticut prep ranks rose quickly. There have been rumors connecting San Diego to Mozzicato heavily and he seems like the kind of zag pick A.J. Preller is known for. His fastball sits high-80s to low-90s, but the jewel of his mix is a high-70s hammer curveball he uses to generate swings and misses. There’s a lot to dream on, and the signs of a go-to secondary to build around

Padre GM Preller was @ Mozzicato’s no hitter vs Southington back in May.

Reaction Score
Haven’t scrubbed it yet but I see Ryan Daniels, Drew Kron, Kolbe Pascarelli and Mozzicato so far.

Also cool to see Hank Penders and Connor Podeszwa make the Class M team.

East Catholic v.Waterford > Class M Semi-Finals (Mozzicato not the starting pitcher today - lining up to pitch Championship game):

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom