UConn Baseball 2021 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

Reaction Score
Dibble very impressed w/ Elliot Ballpark:

The interview starts off talking about the new ballpark. Coach Penders said that the berm area outside the playing field is the biggest berm area in college baseball, and can potentially fit thousands of people. The funny thing is that Penders said he never knew there was a hill outside the ballpark, as it was full of trees before construction started.

Here are some players that got positive mentions from Penders during the interview. Good praise for backup catcher Ciaran Devenney, saying he has a lot of pop in his bat. When not backing up Pat Winkel behind the plate, he could get some at bats at D.H. and possibly get some playing time in the corner spots. Also, Andy Hague is doing very well offensively. Ben Casparius mentioned again as having Friday starter stuff, nothing new there. Also, Joe Simeone is doing very well this fall on the mound, that to me as a fan of Simeone's potential was music to my ears.

Reaction Score
The interview starts off talking about the new ballpark. Coach Penders said that the berm area outside the playing field is the biggest berm area in college baseball, and can potentially fit thousands of people. The funny thing is that Penders said he never knew there was a hill outside the ballpark, as it was full of trees before construction started.

Here are some players that got positive mentions from Penders during the interview. Good praise for backup catcher Ciaran Devenney, saying he has a lot of pop in his bat. When not backing up Pat Winkel behind the plate, he could get some at bats at D.H. and possibly get some playing time in the corner spots. Also, Andy Hague is doing very well offensively. Ben Casparius mentioned again as having Friday starter stuff, nothing new there. Also, Joe Simeone is doing very well this fall on the mound, that to me as a fan of Simeone's potential was music to my ears.

One thing I should add is that Coach Penders mentioned that a lot of the pitchers have looked good so far during fall ball. That sort of thing also got a mention in some of the recent Chris Jones scrimmage interviews. So it would seem that the depth of the pitching staff could be a real positive.

Reaction Score
If memory serves, in the past UConn baseball has held its scout day in early to mid September. Of course, everything is a bit off this year.

Of course, with the new ballpark and with the turf field these things don't have to be held in early September. They can afford to wait and let the players get a number of fall practices in before unleashing a bunch of scouts on scout day to look at them and their various abilities. The field is going to be in the same condition no matter what.

Reaction Score

Now this is what I call a pleasant surprise from Andy Hague. Coach Penders talked him up in a recent interview indicating his offense was greatly improved and that Hague had taken to heart the offensive approach the coaching staff wanted him to take, but I wasn't expecting a team leading batting average. If Hague keeps this up, together with his defensive reputation, we could very well see Hague as the starting shortstop at the beginning of the spring season. If this scenario plays out, then I would guess Zach Bushling could very well end up moving to 3B. Based on what we saw from the 2020 shortened season, it seems that Bushling fits in better defensively at 3B anyway.

Every once in a while I have to come out with an obligatory odd comment. With his glasses and short stature, for me Andy Hague may be the most recognizable player on the team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now this is what I call a pleasant surprise from Andy Hague. Coach Penders talked him up in a recent interview indicating his offense was greatly improved and that Hague had taken to heart the offensive approach the coaching staff wanted him to take, but I wasn't expecting a team leading batting average. If Hague keeps this up, together with his defensive reputation, we could very well see Hague as the starting shortstop at the beginning of the spring season. If this scenario plays out, then I would guess Zach Bushling could very well end up moving to 3B. Based on what we saw from the 2020 shortened season, it seems that Bushling fits in better defensively at 3B anyway.

Every once in a while I have to come out with an obligatory odd comment. With his glasses and short stature, for me Andy Hague may be the most recognizable player on the team.
I have heard Coach Penders say that Andy defends "at a pro level"... he out-defended Vandy SS and Michigan SS last year, so if he hits like this....

Reaction Score
His swing is much more smooth and strong. He was overwhelmed at the plate last year. I think Hague is the kind of kid who will benefit the most from the new facilities through more reps. I expect him to be starting shortstop like @dbmill and agree ZB is a better fit at the hot corner

Reaction Score
This is different. UConn baseball has posted a 45 player fall ball roster on the UConn athletics website. I can't recall the last time a fall ball roster was posted online, although printed roster sheets were always available at the Alumni Game in late September.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Next question. Will the annual team Halloween Lift video take place, or will it be scrapped due to the pandemic? It is a piece of UConn Baseball tradition that I always look forward to at this time of year.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
T C Simmons is a new name to me. Anyone know anything beyond his bio?

Reaction Score
Crazy that they might be able to play tomorrow and a snow fall like this would have all but ended their fall season. JOC wouldn’t be dry for days.

In past years they would have to shift to indoor sites both on and off campus. I imagine they will still make use of these sites during the winter. Occasionally they have also had occasional practices in the past on the field hockey field taking advantage of their artificial turf.

Reaction Score
My guy....don’t ever doubt Andy Hague. He’s a grinder. People keep telling him he can’t play at UConn yet he keeps pushing forward. One of the hardest workers you’ll ever meet.

You just described the prototypical player for Coach Penders. Hard working grinder who keeps pushing forward. One noteworthy thing in this is while Hague's hitting may have taken a giant step forward this fall, it should be noted that Andy Hague briefly had the starting shortstop job at the beginning of last season, so obviously he had caught the eye of the coaching staff in some form prior to this fall ball season.

Reaction Score
I believe that’s Fedko and Bushling not Kirby. Not sure why Zach is wearing #51

Position wise, that would make more sense. I was going by the numerical roster on the website, and thought that it being Kirby in those pictures was a little odd given they are in the infield.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom