UConn Band Tower & Marching Field Improvement Project Now Underway | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Band Tower & Marching Field Improvement Project Now Underway

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The band needs work. Not as much as the FB team but work none the less.
Greatness mean not settling for the uninsipring pregame show that has extended moments of silence and milling about.

As a former high school band director, whose bands did competative marching, you seem to lack any knowledge of what goes into any marching band performance. I had to deal with that on the high school level with those who thought they knew what needed to happen.

The UConn Marching Band is an excellent organization that works diligently to perfect their performance on the field. They are well respected.

Reaction Score
Not that impressed by our band.

It's unforgivable they don't play the full UConn fight song after each touchdown. They play 15 seconds of Uconnnnnnnnnn Huskyyyyyyy...end scene. Sounds terrible on TV. They only play the fight song after the extra point and by then TV has gone to commercials. Too late. You miss it entirely. The full UConn Husky fight song should start immediately after the touchdown...play softer for the extra point...than start up loud again. Not that hard. Marching band 101.

Pep band is even worse with their obsession with Neck and Paula Abdul's Cold Hearted Snake.
Perhaps you need to watch it live If your reasonably close enough, hope your not in state..

Reaction Score
The band needs work. Not as much as the FB team but work none the less.
Greatness mean not settling for the uninsipring pregame show that has extended moments of silence and milling about.
And you have no clue. I'm sure you have dedicated hundreds of hours to something to have an internet troll tell you how bad you are. Go crawl in a hole

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The band geeks are angry. I know the feeling as I'm married to one. She thinks the band doesn't live up to its potential.

I've noted this many times so I won't go into it again. Having nothing to do with the dedication or musicianship of the band, the pregame show is tired and lame. The band is great in the stands, our best source of fan support and put the regular students to shame.

But, the pregame sucks. It's disjointed, doesn't build any excitement and obviously isn't must see TV, though I am always in my seat for it.

Really watch next time from the entry into the stadium, the taking of the formations, the pacing and look at it as a fan and not a former band member of parent. Plenty of you have no problem getting on the team's and players, so look in the mirror and ask is the band bringing everything it can to the game day experience.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not that impressed by our band.

It's unforgivable they don't play the full UConn fight song after each touchdown. They play 15 seconds of Uconnnnnnnnnn Huskyyyyyyy...end scene. Sounds terrible on TV. They only play the fight song after the extra point and by then TV has gone to commercials. Too late. You miss it entirely. The full UConn Husky fight song should start immediately after the touchdown...play softer for the extra point...than start up loud again. Not that hard. Marching band 101.

Pep band is even worse with their obsession with Neck and Paula Abdul's Cold Hearted Snake.

What the hell is wrong with you?
Your last few posts have been totally ridiculous
Did you forget your meds????????????????

Reaction Score
The band geeks are angry. I know the feeling as I'm married to one. She thinks the band doesn't live up to its potential.

I've noted this many times so I won't go into it again. Having nothing to do with the dedication or musicianship of the band, the pregame show is tired and lame. The band is great in the stands, our best source of fan support and put the regular students to shame.

But, the pregame sucks. It's disjointed, doesn't build any excitement and obviously isn't must see TV, though I am always in my seat for it.

Really watch next time from the entry into the stadium, the taking of the formations, the pacing and look at it as a fan and not a former band member of parent. Plenty of you have no problem getting on the team's and players, so look in the mirror and ask is the band bringing everything it can to the game day experience.
Ok, comparing kids who get 1 credit a semester to someone who gets a free ride. Direct your complaints to band management if you don't like the pregame.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Ok, comparing kids who get 1 credit a semester to someone who gets a free ride. Direct your complaints to band management if you don't like the pregame.

You seemed confused. The kids are just doing what they are told.

Reaction Score
The band geeks are angry. Really watch next time from the entry into the stadium, the taking of the formations, the pacing and look at it as a fan and not a former band member of parent.

I'm not a former band member or parent. The entry? The band would love to prance onto the field. They can't. There's no entry under the goalposts like at Auburn, Penn St etc. The locker entry is unavailable as is the emergency vehicle/ visitors entrance. They used to march down the steps. Too dangerous.
Formations and pacing are fine. The marching C and UConn spell out for the fight song are called "traditions". Try eliminating the dot the i at OSU. The band gets little support from the school. Had to practically raise all their own money for uniforms, matching Sousaphones, trips to away games--and the tower. The foundation was dragged embarrassingly for whatever help they gave. No scholarships, loads of practice time and no indoor practice facility.
Here's a deal for you. You get the stadium filled to watch and I'll lobby for a faster paced pre-game.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I'm not a former band member or parent. The entry? The band would love to prance onto the field. They can't. There's no entry under the goalposts like at Auburn, Penn St etc. The locker entry is unavailable as is the emergency vehicle/ visitors entrance. They used to march down the steps. Too dangerous.
Formations and pacing are fine. The marching C and UConn spell out for the fight song are called "traditions". Try eliminating the dot the i at OSU. The band gets little support from the school. Had to practically raise all their own money for uniforms, matching Sousaphones, trips to away games--and the tower. The foundation was dragged embarrassingly for whatever help they gave. No scholarships, loads of practice time and no indoor practice facility.
Here's a deal for you. You get the stadium filled to watch and I'll lobby for a faster paced pre-game.

The University does not support the band the way it should be supported. For what they have to work with, the Pride of Connecticut does a great job. I have enjoyed the band for years and only wish they could have more money to showcase themselves.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
There is a giant tunnel...

This is an excellent example of not thinking about this stuff by the school.

From the moment they appear until the team takes the field, they are the show. They don't act like it. They act like an after thought

Reaction Score
There is a giant tunnel...This is an excellent example of not thinking about this stuff by the school.

Ha! You don't think they thought about it, considered it and rejected it? When you're in a hole, stop digging .

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Ha! You don't think they thought about it, considered it and rejected it? When you're in a hole, stop digging .

You think they made the right decision? You mentioned Penn State. Here is their pregame. Point out where the band show comes to a complete stop or starts playing at a slow tempo (other than the alma mater which brings down the house)?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCMB is the last thing surrounding the football program that needs to be addressed.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
UCMB is the last thing surrounding the football program that needs to be addressed.

Maybe true but, if you have P5 aspirations then have them. UConn is a top 20 public university and a land grant institution. Forget FB, shouldn't the band be judged by that standard alone? Is the UCMB a top 20 college marching band?

If it is money, then raise more money. If is it leadership, then get better leadership. If it is commitment then make the commitment. No part of the organization should be resting on their laurels and not looking to improve in all aspects.

Reaction Score
Give me a break. The problem isn't the pregame; there's plenty of inspiring music and movement. Many visitors have mentioned how great our band is and applaud during our pregame. The problem is our own fans are outside the stadium still watering down at their tailgates. There's no buzz, no excitement, no people! I could offer $100 to anyone seated at the pre-game and risk very little. Put our pre-game in a stadium full of cheering fans and it's a different experience. Don't believe it? Watch Auburn's pre-game and ours. Now picture their presentation performing for our empty stadium and ours performing our exact same pregame down there. Think they'd be blasé? Think we'd display that degree of spirit? Our band works extremely hard performing for an embarrassingly (and insultingly) small crowd. That's not on the band, that's on us.

I'll add to this. I was in the band in 2004. We traveled up to Syracuse which was mostly filled dome at the time. We of course got booed going on, but by the end of our show every person in the stadium. Syracuse And Uconn alike, were cheering loudly. I even had several Syracuse fans come up to me while I was walking to the bathroom and compliment us.

The UCMB isn't bad, it's quite the opposite, it's that 99% of the people in the stands don't care about the band. I mean they barely care about staying much passed half time why would they bother with the band?

Reaction Score
The band deserves all of this. They out in so much hard work, effort and time to perform for a bunch of people that couldn't careless about them.

No matter what the people in the stands, the band is always having fun and in great spirits. There's not a day that goes by in the fall that I don't miss all the practices, the exhibitions, the games and the fun

Reaction Score
Subba's main complaint seems to come down to "I don't like the pregame show". Which is funny because pregame shows are pretty formulaic. Percussion march on. Band march on (some sort of fanfare/prelude). March across field playing fight song. Play some sort of "Americana" tune, or something specific to the state/region (the most common of which is, strangely enough, the Battle Hymn of the Republic). Play National Anthem and (in many cases) Alma Mater. March off, incorporate into the team's pregame run on to the field. What separates a pregame show is (1) crowd participation (often the result of long-standing traditions) (2) those few bands that have added a recognizable trademark part of the performance (an item of local pride or, again, some long-standing tradition).

I'd like to see the tunnels used. Not sure why that won't work logistically or whose call it is.

Reaction Score
The only thing they need to improve the coordination of their music to what's going on in game. Especially after first downs on offense. Other than that. They're awesome

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Maybe true but, if you have P5 aspirations then have them. UConn is a top 20 public university and a land grant institution. Forget FB, shouldn't the band be judged by that standard alone? Is the UCMB a top 20 college marching band?

If it is money, then raise more money. If is it leadership, then get better leadership. If it is commitment then make the commitment. No part of the organization should be resting on their laurels and not looking to improve in all aspects.

Just so i have this straight...

You're complaining about the band "resting on its laurels" in a thread about what amounts to the most big-time-worthy upgrade the band has had in years? (this tower is looooong overdue).

You're special.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I witnessed the UConn Marching Band outperform the UM Band in the Big House. Pound sand.

Reaction Score
The UCMB isn't bad, it's quite the opposite, it's that 99% of the people in the stands don't care about the band. I mean they barely care about staying much passed half time why would they bother with the band?

I've noticed the UConn pep band at the women's final four get pretty much the same reaction from Husky fans. Unlike the fans of most other teams, UConn fans just don't seem to want to give their band the time of day. Which is too bad, as think the band does a fine job, just as good as most other school bands. The difference being that the fans of other teams think of their band as more or less part of the team, and react accordingly.

Reaction Score
I've noticed the UConn pep band at the women's final four get pretty much the same reaction from Husky fans. Unlike the fans of most other teams, UConn fans just don't seem to want to give their band the time of day. Which is too bad, as think the band does a fine job, just as good as most other school bands. The difference being that the fans of other teams think of their band as more or less part of the team, and react accordingly.
Maybe it's a New England thing. For me personally, I enjoy the band because they add the college atmosphere feel to the game that isn't found in professional sports. Having seen bands of some other big schools, I do think our band does a good job comparatively. With that said, I don't go to a football/basketball game because of the band so I understand why some people are a bit disinterested.

Reaction Score
UConn is a top 20 public university and a land grant institution. Is the UCMB a top 20 college marching band? If it is money, then raise more money. If is it leadership, then get better leadership. If it is commitment then make the commitment.
Oh my. Well, what do you know, those were my thoughts exactly --way back in 2004. Go ahead and read my letter.

I sent it also to Jeff Hathaway and David Mills. I ended up having several meetings with Mills to encourage pursuing these goals. I never heard from Austin and only briefly from Hathaway to say "no way" on adding to the ticket price to help the band, nor could we raise funds in or around the the stadium. Do you have any idea what it took to get new uniforms and those matching silver sousaphones? Are you aware that the playing of the band while in the stands is controlled by the UConn stadium director who keeps the band waiting for announcements and ads and cues them by means of an earpiece? The band has gotten a lot of lip service. It's been exhausting for them.
Those of you who criticize Pres. Herbst are certainly free to do so, but in contrast to Pres. Austin and Pres. Hogan who were decidedly disengaged, Pres. Herbst answered an email of mine in 3 minutes. We discussed whether a band practice facility was on the horizon. It is not, due to too many other pressing construction priorities. I get that. So the tower became a valuable interim step. I say all this for no reason than to let you know that the band is a constant work in progress--with the operative word being work. It's been an ongoing struggle for them to get funding and the measure of respect (my word) they deserve. So with all of that as backdrop, please excuse me if I respectfully don't care what you think about the pregame. As I previously said, you help fill the stadium with folks who appreciate the UCMB and I'll suggest they spend the many long hours it would take to produce, practice and perfect a program upbeat enough for you to stay awake.

Attachments

• Marching Band Letter 2004.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 63
Reaction Score
I witnessed the UConn Marching Band outperform the UM Band in the Big House. Pound sand.

I thought the UCMB at the Big House showed very well! I just wish they chose something other to play than "The State of Massachusetts" ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom