UConn and the Transfer Portal | Page 18 | The Boneyard

UConn and the Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
wth is happening with Iowa St? Over last 48 hours four players have applied for the portal, including one of their top xfers from last year, and three frosh from their #9 recruiting class of '23 (including a five-star PF).
One of those kids transferred up and then barely played so it makes sense. Also, after reading that Athletic profile on TJ Otzelberger it sounded like the guy was basically running a wing of the military, if you're not playing much I can't see sticking around to deal with that.

Reaction Score
What’s everyone think of Brandon Huntley-Hatfield? Decent size. Can stretch the floor. Wouldn’t be a bad prospect.

Reaction Score
What’s everyone think of Brandon Huntley-Hatfield? Decent size. Can stretch the floor. Wouldn’t be a bad prospect.

He'll probably be okay for somebody, seems like he was improving. But I'm just going to pass on anyone from Louisville for a couple years. No idea what sort of bad habits are ingrained in there.

Reaction Score
He'll probably be okay for somebody, seems like he was improving. But I'm just going to pass on anyone from Louisville for a couple years. No idea what sort of bad habits are ingrained in there.
See Jaelyn Withers, lol.

Reaction Score

I liked him at Tennessee as a freshmen, but haven't heard much of him since. I thought he would've been better by now, but seems like he was too much of a classic power forward. Thunderous dunks, some post moves, but not much outside game. Not sure about D. He also seems to be a jpurney man.

Reaction Score
Just something to think about…considering the only contact we have with transfers right now is a call from Tom Moore, it’s safe to assume if a player has us on his list that he really likes us. The likelihood is that every other team on that list is actively recruiting them when they’ve gotten nothing more than an introductory call from our staff.

On Matt Knowling…could be a solid backup to Karaban but not much more than that. Yale to UConn is a massive step up in competition.

Reaction Score
Gilbert Arenas says alot of dumb stuff but he was spot on when he mentioned why are so many elite recruits teaming up on one team when speaking on his own son not going down that path. He referenced Cam Reddish taking a backseat with that Zion/RJ/Reddish class and this one is even more loaded than that one and now you got classes doubling up on top of each other, how are all of these guys going to get touches and minutes. Two top 5 centers in one class that can't play together on the court, it makes no sense.
It’s because schools like Duke and Kentucky care more about putting a large number of guys in the league rather than winning games.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I want to see what the Wolf can do with a little coaching up by Danny and the crew. 7’0” with a handle and can pass. Where do I send my NIL check?

IMG_7745.gif

Reaction Score
Just something to think about…considering the only contact we have with transfers right now is a call from Tom Moore, it’s safe to assume if a player has us on his list that he really likes us. The likelihood is that every other team on that list is actively recruiting them when they’ve gotten nothing more than an introductory call from our staff.

On Matt Knowling…could be a solid backup to Karaban but not much more than that. Yale to UConn is a massive step up in competition.
Nice college player but no close to UConn level

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
Figured it was worth a thread to highlight guys with actual UConn interest. I'm sure it won't stay on topic long though

Tipton specifically says he's hearing UConn is a name to watch here

I mean... I get it but we can do better.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
Regarding portal acquisitions...... I know we have sought a certain profile last 2 years and it has paid off (so why break it ?) .. Ultra-competitor, ice in veins, leader, older/mature, hungry to win on large scale as a team last 2 years... Undervalued & talented guards the year before.. If we are in need of 3 pt shooting (seeing CS TN exit might point to that.. hopefully AK stays) then fine, get that guy but be patient.. as Kansas taught us- being first doesn't mean you are right. If we get NT, we are not in this position this year, sorry. But what if the staff isn't sold that a YS/SJ is enough to win in the BE? Maybe we go after an established big who fits the profile instead. What is known, at this point anyway, is that thye will only supplement the roster through the portal by 1 or 2 spots, which is smart. 1 uber-talented freshman, 3-4 2nd year guys, 2-3 Vets, and the portal is the formula he speaks of.

Reaction Score
Regarding portal acquisitions...... I know we have sought a certain profile last 2 years and it has paid off (so why break it ?) .. Ultra-competitor, ice in veins, leader, older/mature, hungry to win on large scale as a team last 2 years... Undervalued & talented guards the year before.. If we are in need of 3 pt shooting (seeing CS TN exit might point to that.. hopefully AK stays) then fine, get that guy but be patient.. as Kansas taught us- being first doesn't mean you are right. If we get NT, we are not in this position this year, sorry. But what if the staff isn't sold that a YS/SJ is enough to win in the BE? Maybe we go after an established big who fits the profile instead. What is known, at this point anyway, is that thye will only supplement the roster through the portal by 1 or 2 spots, which is smart. 1 uber-talented freshman, 3-4 2nd year guys, 2-3 Vets, and the portal is the formula he speaks of.
There is a 99.9999999% chance we're bringing in more than 1 or 2 transfers this year

Reaction Score
What do you see as his role if he plays at UConn? I like him but he's a 6'5 post player who shoots no threes.
I would guess end of the rotation maybe coming in for 5 energy minutes a game. But a nice luxury to have in case of injuries or other unexpected problems.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Maliq Brown of Syracuse is in the portal. One of their better players. I doubt we want him, but thought it was worth posting here for everyone's enjoyment
This was the guy they were praying they wouldn’t lose. I’d be very interested here, kids a baller.

Reaction Score
Never know. Retain Diarra + Karaban and get McNeeley and we don't need much.
I suppose it's possible, but seems pretty unlikely unless we somehow avoid any outward movement along with all that

Reaction Score
Louisville cancer

Reaction Score

Knowling would definitely be a depth piece, but he can guard wings and has a pretty good handle. But he’s a 6’5 guy who only scored around the basket.

Reaction Score
I'll throw a name out for fun. Nate Santos from Dayton. Played locally at Loomis. I could be wrong on his game as I only caught pieces of 2 of his games but his numbers look very good. 42% from three on almost 4 attempts per game. 6'7. If he can D up would love to have him. No idea if he can or wants to try and level up. Dayton had a great year but would love to see what Hurley could do with him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom