UConn and the Transfer Portal | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn and the Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
I don't see why, he wasn't good enough to play any minutes this year, why would he suddenly become a player for us?
Better coaching along with a better offensive system. He also played behind starters this year and Duke has Flagg as a guaranteed starter coming in.
If he does enter the portal and if the staff wants him then I want him too.

Reaction Score
Bill Self mention after their loss that he's been thinking about the portal for over a month so no doubt Kansas is gonna go hot and heavy on the portal and are probably fully prepped
Crazy they open the portal before the season over.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Duke had multiple 2023 5 star type freshman they’re recruiting over who rode the bench. Scheyer is such a bad coach he cant motivate anyone. Do we want any of these kids?

Reaction Score
Duke had multiple 2023 5 star type freshman they’re recruiting over who rode the bench. Scheyer is such a bad coach he cant motivate anyone. Do we want any of these kids?
Where the hell are these dudes going to play? Like, okay, Filipowski is going pro. McCain too, I guess, is going to get drafted. Roach Roach has a Covid year I guess he doesn't take.

But then you're adding 6 Top 50 players to Mitchell (Top 20), Proctor (Top 100), Foster (Top 20), Stewart (Top 15), and Power (Top 25). That's 10 Top 50 kids (and most are Top 25) and another key contributor. It just doesn't make sense unless there's a max exodus, which causes it's own problems.

Roster.jpg

Reaction Score
Where the hell are these dudes going to play? Like, okay, Filipowski is going pro. McCain too, I guess, is going to get drafted. Roach Roach has a Covid year I guess he doesn't take.

But then you're adding 6 Top 50 players to Mitchell (Top 20), Proctor (Top 100), Foster (Top 20), Stewart (Top 15), and Power (Top 25). That's 10 Top 50 kids (and most are Top 25) and another key contributor. It just doesn't make sense unless there's a max exodus, which causes it's own problems.

View attachment 98682
Caliparri does this every year. They're going to figure it out. Guys will leave and they already know who.

UconnU

Reaction Score

View attachment 98682
It’s wild. Disorganized. There’s going to be so many guys coming and going year to year they would never be able to install our offense. I guess they could all hit and it works one year. But the Jay Wright/Dan Hurley model is the answer to sustained success. Obviously.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Players get better. Especially when they start playing for a better coach. They also were forced to play Mitchell and Stewart because Flip is bad on defense.
i'm sure they woulda found minutes for Power if he could play. Their bench was terrible.

UconnU

Reaction Score
I don't see why, he wasn't good enough to play any minutes this year, why would he suddenly become a player for us?
Because Dan Hurley needs someone to point to on the trail to say look Scheyer couldn’t make anything of this kid but I turned him into an NBA prospect and we won championships…

Reaction Score

View attachment 98682
Even worse if the big man logjam, I feel like they have 6 or 7 guys who would be best served as a 5

Reaction Score

It’s somewhat of a deceiving way for him to frame this. 1 top ten 10 recruit, 5 more top 75 recruits, 2 more top 100 recruits and then a couple of high level transfers picked to fill specific needs. The only 3 star recruit we signed is Singare and he is top 150. Apostolous was not rated as a foreigner. Elite roster construction. The 79th ranking was because we signed 1 recruit (Clingan).

Reaction Score
Just saw a prediction for Matt Knowling on On3. Legit?

I apologize if already posted.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It’s somewhat of a deceiving way for him to frame this. 1 top ten 10 recruit, 5 more top 75 recruits, 2 more top 100 recruits and then a couple of high level transfers picked to fill specific needs. The only 3 star recruit we signed is Singare and he is top 150. Apostolous was not rated as a foreigner. Elite roster construction. The 79th ranking was because we signed 1 recruit (Clingan).

I know you’re just providing context but I have no problem with people pointing out how good our staff is in identifying the right guys irrespective of their rankings and then coaching them up. He shouldn’t have made it seem like we have a lot of 3* guys but what I’ve bolded in your post essentially makes the same ultimate point. In a million years you’d never look at our players’ rankings and say “that team is going to dominate college basketball.” Put that roster up against Duke and Kentucky on paper and it looks like no contest. It’s roster construction, player development and culture that elevates our program.

Reaction Score
Just saw a prediction for Matt Knowling on On3. Legit?

I apologize if already posted.
Very legit. This has been on the horizon for the past few months. Knowling played at EC with Andrew Hurley. Had a great career at Yale and will be a great piece to have on the bench with his experience and IQ. Awesome news if we can seal the deal.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Very legit. This has been on the horizon for the past few months. Knowling played at EC with Andrew Hurley. Had a great career at Yale and will be a great piece to have on the bench with his experience and IQ. Awesome news if we can seal the deal.
That’s the way to do it. Graduate with a free degree from an Ivy, transfer to your home state power house to support their run.

I’m not sure where the playing time will be available but those things can work themselves out.

Reaction Score
He fits.

Cuts well, passes well, and adds some post up ability that we don’t really have this year

Reaction Score
I know you’re just providing context but I have no problem with people pointing out how good our staff is in identifying the right guys irrespective of their rankings and then coaching them up. He shouldn’t have made it seem like we have a lot of 3* guys but what I’ve bolded in your post essentially makes the same ultimate point. In a million years you’d never look at our players’ rankings and say “that team is going to dominate college basketball.” Put that roster up against Duke and Kentucky on paper and it looks like no contest. It’s roster construction, player development and culture that elevates our program.

Reality is somewhere in the middle. There’s like 5 other programs that have as many top 100 recruits as we do. UNC is probably the closest parallel in roster construction. But we do not have nearly the 5 stars as UK or Duke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom