UConn and Duke Schedule 4 Game Home and Home Series | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn and Duke Schedule 4 Game Home and Home Series

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Always interesting to watch the independent schedule come together. 2026 now has 12 games on the schedule w/ the addition of Duke. However, there is no "money game", so I would suspect a little more shuffling around of the schedule for 2026.

Interestingly, there is also no "money game" for next year. It will be interesting to see what how the conference changes in 2024 and beyond impact UConn.
I think Ohio State in 2025 will be the last money game. Now that we are starting to figure out scheduling, I expect to play 7 home games every other year.

Reaction Score
Yes it definitely is. It's just all those nagging "no bowl tie-ins, no conference to share TV revenue, other teams bringing refs from their own conference, etc." issues that are a cramp.

I feel confident that there will never be a year where UConn gets 6 wins that they are without a bowl tie-in (they're 1 for 1 so far). Away team bringing refs from their own conference for home games is the standard for all out of conference matchups (even if UConn was in the Big XII, Duke still would've brought ACC refs with them). Furthermore, UConn's TV revenue for football alone exceeded the old C-USA deal for all sports and is within a few 100k of the MAC's all sports share (as well as being competitive with the Sun Belt's all-sports deal).

There are only two TV rights deals that would be worth jumping to outside of a "power" conference. The AAC and MWC. The AAC's deal runs longer, but could be trimmed again with the loss of yet another team. Who knows if the MWC will exist as an entity and the location is less than ideal. UConn could use a conference, but it needs to be the right conference financially and really they need some sort of "power" affiliation.

Reaction Score
Yes it definitely is. It's just all those nagging "no bowl tie-ins, no conference to share TV revenue, other teams bringing refs from their own conference, etc." issues that are a cramp.
I like playing P4 opponents as much as the next guy but not if we are going to lose all the time. What sense does it make to play 6 and go 0-6

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I am hoping that Army waits until 2026 to join the American. If they do I hope we do the following:

1. Schedule a P4 H/H for 24/25 with 24 at home and 25 away. We need a P4 home game next year.

2. Pay Temple a small inconvenience fee to switch our 26/27 series so that we play at home in 26.

These two moves would fill our 24-26 schedule, guarantee at least six home games each year from 24-26, guarantee 5 P4 games and at least 1 P4 home game those years as well.

Assuming Army cancels their other games with us, we would still have 9 and 7 games scheduled for 27 and 28 respectively.

Reaction Score
I am hoping that Army waits until 2026 to join the American. If they do I hope we do the following:

1. Schedule a P4 H/H for 24/25 with 24 at home and 25 away. We need a P4 home game next year.

2. Pay Temple a small inconvenience fee to switch our 26/27 series so that we play at home in 26.

These two moves would fill our 24-26 schedule, guarantee at least six home games each year from 24-26, guarantee 5 P4 games and at least 1 P4 home game those years as well.

Assuming Army cancels their other games with us, we would still have 9 and 7 games scheduled for 27 and 28 respectively.
I'm not sure Army is going to join the AAC. Why?

Army is currently playing about 2 P5 schools per year, 1 to 2 FCS schools, and the 2 other service academies Navy and Air Force. If they go to the AAC, they play 8 conference games, but what if the AAC moves to 9 conference games? Basically, Army's schedule would become 9 AAC games, Navy (out of conference), Air Force, and an FCS game. Do they want that schedule? Even at 8 conference games, the schedule becomes 8 AAC games, Navy, Air Force, 1 FCS, and 1 OOC game. Seems restrictive. Also, there is the cost of dropping future games and there could be some impact on the Army/Navy game.

I think Army would be better off with a 4 game scheduling alliance with the AAC. Thus, Army gets 4 guaranteed games per year, Navy and Air Force games, 1 to 2 FCS per year and scheduling flexibility on 4 to 5 games per year. Kind of like the Notre Dame deal with the ACC. In return, the AAC gets a guaranteed attractive opponent for 4 games per year which will help home attendance and TV rights value.

Reaction Score
The better competition you play, the better recruits you can get.
The more you win, the better recruits you get. Again, there is no value in playing 4-6 P5 games and losing them all. We need to get to the point where we win those games or we need to down grade the schedule. And if we do that we need to play for something. So we need to be shopping for a league that will take us as football only. Then play maybe 2 P4 teams a year.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

Army is currently playing about 2 P5 schools per year, 1 to 2 FCS schools, and the 2 other service academies Navy and Air Force. If they go to the AAC, they play 8 conference games, but what if the AAC moves to 9 conference games? Basically, Army's schedule would become 9 AAC games, Navy (out of conference), Air Force, and an FCS game. Do they want that schedule? Even at 8 conference games, the schedule becomes 8 AAC games, Navy, Air Force, 1 FCS, and 1 OOC game. Seems restrictive. Also, there is the cost of dropping future games and there could be some impact on the Army/Navy game.

I think Army would be better off with a 4 game scheduling alliance with the AAC. Thus, Army gets 4 guaranteed games per year, Navy and Air Force games, 1 to 2 FCS per year and scheduling flexibility on 4 to 5 games per year. Kind of like the Notre Dame deal with the ACC. In return, the AAC gets a guaranteed attractive opponent for 4 games per year which will help home attendance and TV rights value.
I hope you are right as it would be a huge boon to our scheduling if they stay independent.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I like playing P4 opponents as much as the next guy but not if we are going to lose all the time. What sense does it make to play 6 and go 0-6
Your argument would make sense if we weren't a little - a lot against everyone, too. Correlation without causation.

Reaction Score
The more you win, the better recruits you get. Again, there is no value in playing 4-6 P5 games and losing them all. We need to get to the point where we win those games or we need to down grade the schedule. And if we do that we need to play for something. So we need to be shopping for a league that will take us as football only. Then play maybe 2 P4 teams a year.
it's a balancing act - playing winnable games BUT also having maximum exposure to teams from major conferences.

Reaction Score
I have a kid at Virginia Tech. It would be awesome to go see the Huskies in Blacksburg.
Great college football environment, Blacksburg’s a good college town, and the region’s a good long weekend or longer destination for anyone into hiking, outdoor activities, etc.

Yesteryear, if only Terry Caulley was not injured in a 2003/4ish game against VIrginia Tech …

Reaction Score

Army to the AAC has cooled.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The better the schedule, the more attractive we are to potential recruits. You're right we need to start winning some, but they need to be on the schedule. If you were a player, would you rather line up against Charlotte and FIU or Duke and Tennessee. Any player we want at UConn would rather play the big time school. I don't want the kid that wants UNCC or FIU.

Reaction Score
it's a balancing act - playing winnable games BUT also having maximum exposure to teams from major conferences.
Agree. But we’ve gone 1-8 so far( I looked it up) since being Indy. We’ve been outscored 339-83. We have been shut out more times than we have scored more than 14 points. And sure, Michigan and Clemson are really good. But Middle of the road P5s have blasted us too. Outside of BC and Vandy, we have been in none of these games. That can’t continue. We need to beat the Vanderbilts of the world and go .500 vs BC Syracuse, Duke, NC State, Indiana type teams. Sure on occasion one or another of them has a very good team like this years Duke, but generally they are decidedly average. If we can’t get to a point where that is a realistic expectation we need to stop talking about playing 4-6 P5 teams and focus on playing 1-2. Get football into a league where it CAN be competitive, and go from there. Assuming you could pull it off would it really be that bad to play, say BC (H), Michigan (A). Then play 8 games against the AAC or somebody and maybe 1 each vs among the MAC, the MWC or the Sunbelt. I’m not sure it is that much better to go 1-5 vs 6 P4-5 teams and 5-1/4-2 vs a mix of AAC, MAC, Sunbelt and MWC. Maybe you have a great season and go 11-1, 10-2 and get ranked 19. Some of you are sort of like the farmer who wanted to enter his mule in the Kentucky Derby. Not to win but in hopes that he benefits from the association.

Reaction Score
The better the schedule, the more attractive we are to potential recruits. You're right we need to start winning some, but they need to be on the schedule. If you were a player, would you rather line up against Charlotte and FIU or Duke and Tennessee. Any player we want at UConn would rather play the big time school. I don't want the kid that wants UNCC or FIU.
That is exactly the kid we get. And the odd Maine or Delaware transfer.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Agree. But we’ve gone 1-8 so far( I looked it up) since being Indy. We’ve been outscored 339-83. We have been shut out more times than we have scored more than 14 points. And sure, Michigan and Clemson are really good. But Middle of the road P5s have blasted us too. Outside of BC and Vandy, we have been in none of these games. That can’t continue. We need to beat the Vanderbilts of the world and go .500 vs BC Syracuse, Duke, NC State, Indiana type teams. Sure on occasion one or another of them has a very good team like this years Duke, but generally they are decidedly average. If we can’t get to a point where that is a realistic expectation we need to stop talking about playing 4-6 P5 teams and focus on playing 1-2. Get football into a league where it CAN be competitive, and go from there. Assuming you could pull it off would it really be that bad to play, say BC (H), Michigan (A). Then play 8 games against the AAC or somebody and maybe 1 each vs among the MAC, the MWC or the Sunbelt. I’m not sure it is that much better to go 1-5 vs 6 P4-5 teams and 5-1/4-2 vs a mix of AAC, MAC, Sunbelt and MWC. Maybe you have a great season and go 11-1, 10-2 and get ranked 19. Some of you are sort of like the farmer who wanted to enter his mule in the Kentucky Derby. Not to win but in hopes that he benefits from the association.
This would be a revolting schedule. We got 36k for NC State and 30k for Duke. The other two were 20k and 21k respectively. People want to see ACC, SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12 opponents.

Reaction Score
This would be a revolting schedule. We got 36k for NC State and 30k for Duke. The other two were 20k and 21k respectively. People want to see ACC, SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12 opponents.
This. Best case scenario is you get a team like the above into The Rent and we have a puncher's chance of winning. It's the blowouts that hurt.

Reaction Score
Then they aren’t UConn fans. They are event fans. It is a problem with most UConn “fans” actually. For hoop fans if you told them Manchester Community College joined the Nee Big East they would show up by the thousands and wax poetic about how great this rivalry has always been. Football fans show up for name brands but not games we could, you know, actually win. Hockey fans show up for top Hockey East brands but not the Vermonts and Merrimacks. It is, I think because a lot of our base isn’t really connected with UConn.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Then they aren’t UConn fans. They are event fans. It is a problem with most UConn “fans” actually. For hoop fans if you told them Manchester Community College joined the Nee Big East they would show up by the thousands and wax poetic about how great this rivalry has always been. Football fans show up for name brands but not games we could, you know, actually win. Hockey fans show up for top Hockey East brands but not the Vermonts and Merrimacks. It is, I think because a lot of our base isn’t really connected with UConn.
No, it’s because our wallets aren’t connected with a bad product.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom