Men - UConn 2021 Big East Baseball Tournament @Prasco Park, Mason Ohio (5/27>5/30) Gms on Big East Digital Network/Mixlr ->Championship Game on FS2 @1p Sun. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Men UConn 2021 Big East Baseball Tournament @Prasco Park, Mason Ohio (5/27>5/30) Gms on Big East Digital Network/Mixlr ->Championship Game on FS2 @1p Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Weather in Ohio's gonna be a mess today and tomorrow.
Yup... they mentioned “flexibility” last night:

1622203667700.jpeg

Reaction Score
Feature/special interest story coverage by Amore and McFarland has been decent - individual game coverage is lacking for sure...

These days the Courant seems to have only 4 full time sports reporters. Aside from UConn basketball and football, and the Connecticut Sun and a few other odds and ends, they just don't seem to have the resources to cover much of anything these days. Considering what is going on with the ownership of the Courant, I would not expect their sports coverage to expand in any area.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Definitely gonna be fighting the weather, hopefully they can at least get the losers bracket game in today
Yup, that would be important. Saturday was only supposed to have one game, the loser’s bracket final scheduled. If they manage to get one game in today, they can still schedule the winner’s bracket final for earlier on Saturday, and have that loser play a doubleheader. Yes, it means that team would potentially have to win two doubleheaders in two days to win the title, but that’s college baseball.

Reaction Score
After the first Villanova game a few of us were very disappointed to say the least and we said this team needed to use the rest of the season to find their groove. Man, have they ever found their groove. They are rolling right now offensively. Gotta love seeing Coe go 3 scoreless innings and saving the pen. Really like that kid.

What a bonus to get 3 shutout innings by Coe and saving the rest of the bullpen. He had come into tonight throwing less than 7 innings on the season!!

I took a liking to Coe a while ago. Coe has been coming on nicely for the last month, last night was his sixth appearance since April 26. That is a goodly number of appearances in relief considering he is not one of the Big Five coming out of the bullpen. In that time he has pretty much turned into the go to guy for Coach Penders when he wants to try to avoid using one of the Big Five relievers. Coe is fairly consistent in what happens when he is on the mound. Usually at least one batter will get on base during an inning while he is pitching, and usually Coe will strand the runner(s), as he has allowed only 1 run to be scored off him. Coe has 6 walks in 9.2 innings, which is more than you want, but at the same time unlike other pitchers when he walks someone it doesn't seem to get into his head and let it snowball into bigger things. For the coaching staff, I suspect he is the most dependable guy in the bullpen outside the Big Five.

I get a sense from the fact that he was not on the 35 man roster last season, his usage this season, and from what Chris Jones has been saying about him during game broadcasts, that Coe is not blessed with a ton of talent in the way someone like McBride is, which might keep him from getting a featured role on par with the Big Five out of the bullpen. Still, Coe gets his outs and is able to complete innings even when he lets batters reach base. Last night Chris Jones was speculating on the future of Coe with UConn, thinking that next season he might be stretched out and that he might become a midweek starter. I'm certainly looking forward to see how he evolves, as he has done quite nicely this past month.

Reaction Score
Let’s all pray it happens! The chances of rain go down throughout the evening so lets hope we can play

The weather forecast is looking pretty wet with thunderstorms for this afternoon, so we'll see if they can even play one game today. UConn-Creighton is the second game today, so we'll see if they can play tonight or end up getting bumped to tomorrow morning or afternoon.

Reaction Score
I wish they would’ve moved the losers to tomorrow. Now whoever loses between UConn and creighton will have to go through 2 doubleheaders to win the tournament. Plus their second game tomorrow will be against a team playing only one game.

Of course the flip side is win tomorrow and you have a massive advantage to win the championship, so just take care of business.

Reaction Score
Do we have a shot a hosting some point in the future in Storrs, Hartford or Norwich?

With the new stadium, hosting anywhere other than Storrs would be an absolute travesty

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With the new stadium, hosting anywhere other than Storrs would be an absolute travesty

nvm thought you meant regionals
I largely agree. I like Hartford a lot as a venue , but it would be great to showcase Elliot Ballpark.

Reaction Score
Is Elliot Ballpark big enough to host a regional? Seems small, but maybe with the berm they can fit enough fans

Reaction Score
Is Elliot Ballpark big enough to host a regional? Seems small, but maybe with the berm they can fit enough fans
I’m not sure of the rules regarding stadium size, but I believe there are multiple quotes from Penders and others in the AD that were basically like “we can’t wait to host a regional here”

Reaction Score
I’m not sure of the rules regarding stadium size, but I believe there are multiple quotes from Penders and others in the AD that were basically like “we can’t wait to host a regional here”
Was trying to look through old threads from 2018 when we were on the verge of hosting, seemed like the consensus was no official number but the some were hosting with 1500-1800 capacity so it seems possible. Personally I'd rather see it in Hartford

Reaction Score
Was trying to look through old threads from 2018 when we were on the verge of hosting, seemed like the consensus was no official number but the some were hosting with 1500-1800 capacity so it seems possible. Personally I'd rather see it in Hartford

Agree to disagree. I’ve had too many Hartford vs Storrs arguments. Not trying to have another one lol

Reaction Score
-> Penders would love Elliot Ballpark, which opened this season, to eventually host the Big East tournament. The facility boasts field turf, lights and a capacity, Penders believes, of as much as 10,000 if the outfield berm and other areas are utilized properly.

Eventually, I think they’ll understand the following we have, the ability we have to host here and, hopefully, the league coaches would be excited about that,” Penders said.

It hasn’t helped, of course, that only one Big East team (Georgetown) has been able to visit Elliot so far. A second (Seton Hall) is slated to play there May 20-22. But, as we’ve learned in these COVID-19 times, nothing is certain this season. <-

The Tournament is in Ohio next year and they may add an additional year due to losing a hosting year last May so 2024 is likely the first year it would be up for grabs again.

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. I’ve had too many Hartford vs Storrs arguments. Not trying to have another one lol
It's funny because I'm usually on your side of the argument there. Apparently not for baseball

Reaction Score

I don't even have an opinion on this, as my opinion on basketball and football relates to money, which is not a material factor here, but everyone should understand that both the Big East tournament and the NCAA regional are played long after the student body has gone home for the summer. Just saying ....

Reaction Score
I don't even have an opinion on this, as my opinion on basketball and football relates to money, which is not a material factor here, but everyone should understand that both the Big East tournament and the NCAA regional are played long after the student body has gone home for the summer. Just saying ....

That’s true at every college - and yet regionals are still almost universally played on campus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom