Men - UConn @ #19/23 Auburn Tigers (Saturday 3/2/24 Doubleheader @2p ET* & Sunday 3/3/24 @2p ET*). Sunday on SEC+. All 3 games on Mixlr | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ #19/23 Auburn Tigers (Saturday 3/2/24 Doubleheader @2p ET* & Sunday 3/3/24 @2p ET*). Sunday on SEC+. All 3 games on Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Top 5th, Broadhurst with a 2 out RBI single driving in a run, 2 runners left on base to end the inning. 3-2 Auburn.

Reaction Score
Bottom 5th, after a leadoff single, a double play removes the baserunner. After a 2 out double, S. Quigley comes out of the game. Sean Finn takes the mound.

Reaction Score
Bottom 5th, Finn walks the first batter he faces, 2 runners now on base with 2 out. Finn comes out of the game, LHP Joe Cinnella comes in to face a lefty hitter. Cinnella gets a strikeout to end the inning with no runs coming in. 3-2 Auburn.

Reaction Score
Bottom 5th, Finn walks the first batter he faces, 2 runners now on base with 2 out. Finn comes out of the game, LHP Joe Cinnella comes in to face a lefty hitter. Cinnella gets a strikeout to end the inning with no runs coming in. 3-2 Auburn.

Reaction Score
Top 6th, the UConn offense goes down in order. 3-2 Auburn.

Reaction Score
Sloppy defense so far. Error on 3rd basemen and should be error on second for missing tagging first base on bunt. Not doing ourselves any favor and putting pitching in one heck of a hole

Reaction Score
Bottom 6th, an error on Minick followed by a bunt single put 2 runners on base with no out. After a fly out for the first out, with runners on the corners, Cinnella comes out of the game, Carrea comes in to pitch. A throwing error by Garbowski on a stolen base attempt brings in a run and puts a runner at 3B, 4-2 Auburn. With 2 out, a 2 run homer makes it 6-2 Auburn going to the top of the 7th.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Top 7th, UConn offense goes down in order, 6-2 Auburn.

Braden Quinn comes in to pitch for UConn to start the bottom of the 7th.

Reaction Score
Bottom 7th, after a strikeout and a 1 out single, Quinn comes out of the game. Cam Mayer takes the mound. Mayer hits the first batter he faces. On a double steal attempt, Garbowski throws out the runner trying to take 2B. Mayer gets a strikeout to end the inning with no runs coming in. 6-2 Auburn

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Top 8th, a scoreless inning for the UConn offense with 2 strikeouts (first 2 strikeouts of the game for UConn hitters). 6-2 Auburn.

Freshman Charlie West takes the mound for UConn in the bottom of the 8th.

Reaction Score
Bottom 8th, after a leadoff single, West comes out of the game. Jack Sullivan comes in to pitch.

Baserunner steals 2B with no out. A 2 out 2 run homer makes the score 8-2 Auburn. Sullivan did have 2 strikeouts that inning, sandwiched around the homer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Top 9th, Padilla gets his 3rd walk of the game to leadoff the inning. With 2 out, Daniels pinch hits for Tammaro and singles to put runners on the corners. Morton draws his first walk of the season to load the bases, but nothing comes of it.

Auburn wins 8-2 and takes the series.

Reaction Score
Thoughts:
Good:
1) Thought Luke looked good at 1B defensively.
2) SQuigs did a good job of getting to 5th giving up the early 3. Velo is still ~91 so movement needs to be very good and location pinpoint. A smaller margin of error. First inning walking #3 hitter with 2 out started things. Close pitch but it could have gone either way.
3) I like the core (3-4-5) of Studley, Luke and Malcom. Start to get some identity offensively with that.
4) Early ABs were good. Once again faded as the game progressed. Their reliever Tilly was the difference
5) I thought Cinnella and Correa threw well. Correa hitting 91 with very good movement. Problem is he's paying dearly for his mistakes and hung that HR ball (same with SQuigs HR). Good hitters/teams will do that. Results aside I thought he threw well.
6) Saw Finn for first time. Lot to work with there live arm. Obviously throwing strikes the issue. Moldable. Perhaps future closer.

Bad:
1) Starting pitching getting hit hard thus having to go deeper into bullpen which stresses it. 1 real quality start last 6 outings (Cal Sunday SQuigs) If you want to be glass half full both were against very good offenses in batter-friendly parks
2) I said this yesterday. They want to bunt but they are a poor bunting team (see Tammaro) Auburn beat them in this area which can't happen
3) I think Bry needs to play 3B and Daniels 2B ASAP unless they are facing a lefty like Randy Johnson. 2 rallies ended with Minick today and the play @ home plate seemed to deflate them. The error at 3B also opened the floodgates to the inning that effectively put the game away. Also the Bry play after the error not stepping on first in time...is that because he's not used to that type of play being a 2B? With Dalena on the bench you'd have 7 righties in the lineup including Daniels against a lefty. No big deal. I don't want to be hard on Minick I'm a backer, he's a freshman and he stepped in due to injuries. But that needs to end next Friday at UCSB. Bry and Daniels going forward. He dropped Shpur in the lineup (I agree with that). Have to wonder if we see Simmons again if his bat doesn't pick up. They're left starter was very fortunate. Should have been knocked out of that game he had nothing other than tweaking speeds.
4) The defense fell apart that one inning (7th) and that's when they lost contact. 3B error - foot on base (hit but mistake) and Garbo threw one into LF
5) I assume the way they are handling the bullpen is to find out who they want to use later this year and how they want to form it. If not, that's a tough way to bridge games and normally doesn't work when you need to rely on 5-6 guys who all have to do their job to get it to Afthim (see Tilly today for Auburn - 1 guy).

Today's game was gettable but 6th loss in 7 games. Doesn't get any easier next weekend against a team rounding into form. I will be at UCSB series and the UCLA game. Won't be at UC Irvine and Cal Baptist series as I have other commitments.

Let's see what happens.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One thing Chris Jones was speculating on during the game broadcast today is that at some point Maddix Dalena and T.C. Simmons could get some playing time again at some point against some right handed pitchers. It wouldn't surprise me, but we'll what happens.

Reaction Score
To add one to the bad and I don't want to be hard on the home plate ump, but I will. That ball four in the first inning which ended up costing us 3 runs, was a strike on Broadhurst and Studley at the end of the game. All you ask for is consistency.

Reaction Score
To add one to the bad and I don't want to be hard on the home plate ump, but I will. That ball four in the first inning which ended up costing us 3 runs, was a strike on Broadhurst and Studley at the end of the game. All you ask for is consistency.
I completely hear ya I thought the zone was tightish but I don't think it decided the game. To be honest I thought the strike zone against Louisville was much worse (Penders/Mac were barking for much of that game). Just need to focus on what they can control and improve in those areas. And there are a lot of areas that need improvement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman