UCLA goes down to Utah | The Boneyard

UCLA goes down to Utah

Reaction Score
Great game. It got really intense in that 4th quarter. UCLA fought back after being down 10 but just not enough to finish in the OT. Hats off to Utah. Alissa Pili is going to be one heck of pro in the WNBA. Her ability to hit the mid-range and deep ball is going to be huge. But her handles are underrated for Big type of player. She had a rough start but she is a gamer!!

Reaction Score
Ucla did not seem
Very well coached no clear identity in how they wanted to play did not utilize Betts or any of their
Big players to their advantage
Guards just ran isolation plays
Also playing a lot of players which did not appear to work well
Will go far in the tournament on talent alone
But can’t see them winning 3 tough games it takes to win a championship

Reaction Score
Never forget altitude when reviewing Colorado or Utah games.

Overtime is tough on flat lander teams. Not saying Utah would have lost in a different setting but that UCLA’,s poor showing in overtime might not have been as poor.

Reaction Score
Never forget altitude when reviewing Colorado or Utah games.

Overtime is tough on flat lander teams. Not saying Utah would have lost in a different setting but that UCLA’,s poor showing in overtime might not have been as poor.
I live 2,000 feet higher than Utah or Colorado, so I can definitely attest to the truth of this. The thin air can really take the spring out of the legs.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I watched the entire game and the Baylor KState game. Watching UConn play defense and watching these 4 teams not much of a comparison. UCLA I agree is good but I wasnt impressed with the team overall. Same with UTAH. Baylor and KState not much to say about either team. Their defense was not good. No go to player. What was that at the end of the game throwing the ball at the basket. Wasnt there a play designed to run? KState is not a top 4 team. It will be interesting this week to see what happens. Thursday SC plays LSU. That should be a good game. Saturday nite ND at UConn. This game could get ugly fast for ND. They have not played well when pressed and their bigs are slow. The biggest factor could be NDs bigs guarding Paige and Ash. Both are quicker and good pull up jumpers.

Reaction Score
I thought the in game coaching for UCLA was suspect. It was as if Betts wasn't even on the team. Pili never started scoring until the second half when Close pulled Betts. Betts really needs to learn how to pass out of double and triple teams.

I find the Utah offensive strategy interesting. All 3s and lay ups. No mid range at all. It is so strange to see them all retreat to the 3 pt line on an offensive rebound.

Reaction Score
I watched the entire game and the Baylor KState game. Watching UConn play defense and watching these 4 teams not much of a comparison. UCLA I agree is good but I wasnt impressed with the team overall. Same with UTAH. Baylor and KState not much to say about either team. Their defense was not good. No go to player. What was that at the end of the game throwing the ball at the basket. Wasnt there a play designed to run? KState is not a top 4 team. It will be interesting this week to see what happens. Thursday SC plays LSU. That should be a good game. Saturday nite ND at UConn. This game could get ugly fast for ND. They have not played well when pressed and their bigs are slow. The biggest factor could be NDs bigs guarding Paige and Ash. Both are quicker and good pull up jumpers.
Not impressed with UCLA or Utah? Are you sure you were not watching a rerun of the 2012 UCLA @ UTAH game?

Reaction Score
I thought the in game coaching for UCLA was suspect. It was as if Betts wasn't even on the team. Pili never started scoring until the second half when Close pulled Betts. Betts really needs to learn how to pass out of double and triple teams.

I find the Utah offensive strategy interesting. All 3s and lay ups. No mid range at all. It is so strange to see them all retreat to the 3 pt line on an offensive rebound.
Not a fan of this as a primary half court offense. You're ceding an easier shot for a more difficult one. Maybe that's why they only had 2 free throw attempts in the first half?

Reaction Score
If an unimpressive team built up a 20+ point lead over UConn, I fear how we would fare against an impressive team.
Both these teams were physically and mentally locked in. Both sides played the entire game. No let up.

Reaction Score

KSU may not be a top 4 team in your eyes but they're finding ways to win over other ranked teams without their key player in the post. Sometimes it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it's a victory.

Second, I wouldn't be too hasty and assume ND is going to struggle. While they are depleted in some spots, others have been contributing. What I want to see is if Muhl and Hildago are matched up against each other. Two dogged defenders going toe to toe will be a lot of fun to watch.

Reaction Score
KSU may not be a top 4 team in your eyes but they're finding ways to win over other ranked teams without their key player in the post. Sometimes it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it's a victory.

Second, I wouldn't be too hasty and assume ND is going to struggle. While they are depleted in some spots, others have been contributing. What I want to see is if Muhl and Hildago are matched up against each other. Two dogged defenders going toe to toe will be a lot of fun to watch.
I can't see the UCONN vs ND game being anything, but a dogfight.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I thought KState and Baylor played good defense. KState's go to player is injured and did not play. Both of those teams would give UConn problems. As for ND, you must not know the personnel they have. Also, they are taller, and their guards are very good. If the game gets ugly, I don't think it would not be in UConn's favor.

Reaction Score
Unlike UCLA, which has been sipping mai thais on the beach for the last 2 months.

I'm not in the habit of disrespecting teams that kicked our butts, but you do you.
Don't think that was the point and that poster didn't say they weren't impressed by UCLA. They're just pointing out that the UConn team from November wouldn't be the one UCLA faces now. And the same could be said about UCLA. It would be an interesting rematch at this point of the season.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Utah has 4 players who shoot over 45% from outside and another 2 who shoot above 40%. Can't say I fault them for going with the higher percentage plays when those percentages are THAT much higher.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not impressed with UCLA or Utah? Are you sure you were not watching a rerun of the 2012 UCLA @ UTAH game?
If you wear glasses with just the right tint, you can pretty much see anything you want.

1706031914298.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom