UCLA game could be critical . . . | The Boneyard

UCLA game could be critical . . .

Reaction Score
. . . in preserving our streak of games without back to back losses.

If we beat UCLA then losses to Georgia Tech and/or Louisville wouldn't break the streak.

If we lose to UCLA then we would have to beat both Tech (likely) and Louisville (less likely).

Reaction Score

If we beat UCLA then losses to Georgia Tech and/or Louisville wouldn't break the streak.

If we lose to UCLA then we would have to beat both Tech (likely) and Louisville (less likely).
on paper this current UConn team should be able to defeat Georgia Tech, UCLA and Louisville................that's only if they play to their capabilities....,.......of course they could also lose all three if they don't.......

Reaction Score
on paper this current UConn team should be able to defeat Georgia Tech, UCLA and Louisville................that's only if they play to their capabilities....,.......of course they could also lose all three if they don't.......
Exactly. Any team that beats us would go down as an upset with the exception of SC. The coach still has the players that can beat GT, UCLA, Louisville. Now, he can’t sit there and watch 40 minutes of the Paige show. He needs to take very talented players and turn them into a winning, well-oiled machine. The talent is there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Looking ahead for us fans is fine but for the team the approach should be game to game regardless of the prior game outcome. This team does not need the additional weight of trying to continue a steak that started well before they were all even born.

Reaction Score
Sure, he has the talent, but only if the talent can actually get on the floor and play! He is down Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, and Nika, so far. Let’s just hope no one else goes down! Beating UCLA will indeed be the key to maintaining an almost unbelievable record, but the main concern is getting everyone healthy again.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
UCLA and Georgia Tech just aren't very good teams. UCONN should be able to win both relatively easily with lineups of Westbrook (who has collegiate PG experience), Williams, Ducharme, Edwards and ONO. Depth isn't there but all of those players besides Ducharme are used to playing big minutes at UCONN with a seldom used bench. UCONN just doesn't lose these types of games--the last time they lost to an unranked team was a decade ago. I'll be shocked if either game is close.

Reaction Score
I see the possibility of losing 2 out of 3 to be honest. Hopefully just one (Louisville.)

Hopefully, they switch a gear and win all 3. They certainly should be able to.

Reaction Score
UCLA and Georgia Tech just aren't very good teams. UCONN should be able to win both relatively easily with lineups of Westbrook (who has collegiate PG experience), Williams, Ducharme, Edwards and ONO. Depth isn't there but all of those players besides Ducharme are used to playing big minutes at UCONN with a seldom used bench. UCONN just doesn't lose these types of games--the last time they lost to an unranked team was a decade ago. I'll be shocked if either game is close.
UCLA is much better than you think. Right now it looks like a UConn loss.

Reaction Score
The streak is great, but amazing streaks dont get recognized until they end. If this is the year, so be it.

(And in some sense better for it to happen during GA's tenure than one more thing to saddle his successor with.)

Reaction Score

Georgia Tech is very good defensively and they rebound very well. I wouldn’t sleep on them regardless of what they’ve done in the prior to this game. Cubaj and Hermosa are a good front court tandem they will be tough to go against. If UConn were playing with Bueckers I would say your prediction is spot on but I think it’s going to be a very tough physical game that could go either way.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
UCLA is much better than you think. Right now it looks like a UConn loss.

Geniunely curious...what makes you think UCLA is a threatening team? Look at UCLA's last 4 games:

Loss to Kent State (Massey 71), 69-75
Loss to South Dakota State (Massey 75), 66-76
Win over St Johns (Massey 114), 73-65
Win over San Jose State (Massey 245), 112-33

It's essentially a home game for UCONN and UCLA has no height at all, not to mention half of their roster is sidelined with injuries.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Any team that beats us would go down as an upset with the exception of SC. The coach still has the players that can beat GT, UCLA, Louisville. Now, he can’t sit there and watch 40 minutes of the Paige show. He needs to take very talented players and turn them into a winning, well-oiled machine. The talent is there.
I've beaten on Geno before. But I'm not thrilled with your highlighted sentence. If you have been watching Geno over the years you'd BELIEVE. I've seen Uconn down at the half, come back in the 2nd half and win, more than once. With good players and some not so great, Geno has rabbits he hasn't used yet. Don't count Geno out until the count is 10. This is UConn basketball. When the Men were beaten regularly by Doctor J and UMass --real fans crowded the fieldhouse until the season was over.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Well hopefully we can tout how many games between back to back to back losses.

Reaction Score
Looking ahead for us fans is fine but for the team the approach should be game to game regardless of the prior game outcome. This team does not need the additional weight of trying to continue a steak that started well before they were all even born.

I just read a post from a UCLA fan in the General Forum that said UCLA is down to eight players due to a number of injuries.... .......it's going to be a battle of attrition.............they're going to rename that game the "Walking Wounded Classic" instead of the Never Forget Tribute Classic...............

Reaction Score
I just read a post from a UCLA fan in the General Forum that said UCLA is down to eight players due to a number of injuries.... .......it's going to be a battle of attrition.............they're going to rename that game the "Walking Wounded Classic" instead of the Never Forget Tribute Classic...............
As the UCLA fan in question, yes, UCLA currently has no depth, and the injuries are key. So, this is a game between two schools that are fielding teams that bear very little resemblance to what they will be fielding later. Enjoy it for what it is, but whatever the result, neither team will be able to point at it as "meaningful".

Won't stop people from trying, though.

Reaction Score
wait the Georgia Tech game was played already? and Uconn lost? I thougt today was Wednesday not Friday.

Reaction Score

No offense. But I can think of nothing so meaningless, right now, is preserving some idiotic record of wins in a row. Let's try to figure out how to play and beat anyone, now that we are down to three guards and two people who don't play.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. This team is loaded and will win these games. They just have to stop worrying about Page, she will heal soon but they need to start playing uconn basketball.

Reaction Score
Amen!
Looks like we are going to be seriously shorthanded at guard for a number of weeks. We are not going to forfeit any of these upcoming games. Geno will have to balance the present and the future when he sends these women out on the floor.
How many games will UCONN have to lose to NOT get a place in the 64 at the Big Dance? IF the team is reconstituted for the BE Tournament in March, we should be able to win a final game and nail a spot, no matter what. If we wind up being a 3 seed in the Midwest, so what? As Geno once said, well we have to beat everybody sooner or later anyway if we want to go all the way.
In the meantime, I'm staying up late tonight (I get up at 4:00am for work) to see what the plan & execution is for GA Tech. Who rises to the occasion, who doesn't. If Plan "A" works and we come away with the win, THEN we will have a template going forward regarding who starts where, who gets more minutes and who is running the offense on the floor.
I've been waiting since that %$&* Arizona game for some redemption. I can hang on for the whole shebang if it means watching some good WBB.
One thing I am sure of, The Huskies are not going to quit and phone it in hoping that '22-'23 will be our time. Maybe we can make all this UCONN tradition, pride, whatever work as an incentive and a catalyst instead of some sort of pompous complacency.

Reaction Score
Critical? Naw. All records will be broken and all streaks will end. Then...on to the next one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom