UCLA - am I the only one? | The Boneyard

UCLA - am I the only one?

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Who wants to know why they didn't foul in the last 3 minutes. They were down 9 - 3 scores. They had been hitting 3's. Their coach appeared to give up. Hey you lose you go home, it was time to try anything and fouling would have at least given them a chance.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
No, I wondered about that myself. You have to extend the game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You are not alone. Especially since the FT line was an adventure for us. That was absurd and if I am a UCLA player, I am secretly pissed. Surprised (but not really) that she was not asked about it in the post game presser. :confused:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Agreed. I was scared of every trip to the foul line. Pheesa and Lou were both missing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agreed. I was scared of every trip to the foul line. Pheesa and Lou were both missing.

Lou was 4-5 and her miss was early. I think she would have been solid but Pheesa was 3-8 so I would have taken some chances if she touched the ball.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Olivia was in the game down the stretch and that's who I foul if I'm UCLA. I believe UCLA has only committed two or three fouls at time and UCLA would have had to foul two or three times before UConn went to the line. I would have put UConn on the FT line at least one to see if they make their FT's and if they did the 1st time, maybe at that point give up.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and even if you do not foul, I imagine you need to go into an aggressive press?

Reaction Score
Refreshing. I hate the foularama at the end of games. No way UCONN loses with a nine point lead and less than three to play. We were not in the bonus at that point.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
CW got an offensive rebound with less than 3 minutes to go. She tried to put the ball up again, in a crowd, unsuccessfully. I felt she should have taken the ball out again, and burn another 30 seconds off the clock. Agree, or disagree?

Reaction Score
Who wants to know why they didn't foul in the last 3 minutes. They were down 9 - 3 scores. They had been hitting 3's. Their coach appeared to give up. Hey you lose you go home, it was time to try anything and fouling would have at least given them a chance.

Fouling to extend is not as possibly a lucrative tactic after the rule change in women's game that everything is 2 shots once you hit 5. Men still have 1 in 1 till 10 fouls in half. While going to quarters and advancing the ball were positive changes for the women, I feel the fouls has been a negative. NCAA should allow advancing the ball with a TO and go to quarters for mens. Quarters is what every level of bball plays, HS, Pros, college womens, international, etc.. Women's should go to 1 in 1 till up to 8 fouls or so.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Are you the only one? The short answer is no. The long answer is hell no. I was thinking that the UCLA coach felt that they would have to actually dismember a UConn player to get a foul called. And there are lines you just can't cross. ;) But seriously, I fail to comprehend her late game calls. Glad she made them though.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
With foul to give...it would have been a while 'till the strategy made sense.
Also, some of her better players in foul trouble...Burke, Drummer with 4, Onyenwere with 3.
So other players would have had to do fouling...altogether a (not) winning approach.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
With a couple minutes to go yes but every foul when not in the bonus resets the clock. If UCONN got in the bonus who do you think would have the ball, CD or KLS, they were not going to miss. I also appreciated Close's class to not annoyingly go to the end game mugging that you see even though the game is over.

Last edited:

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
With all these comments on how UConn wasn't in the bonus yet (I thing UCLA had 3 fouls already) the Bruins could have put a designated fouler in to quickly get into the bonus. As far as who ya gonna foul goes, not all of the good guys have been stellar at the line recently. Just an example of terrible clock management at the end of the game.

Who remembers the men's game for the Big East Championship at the Garden many moons ago? We were down 11 to Georgetown I believe with just over a minute to go. We won that game.

Reaction Score
Napheesa has been off on her free throws most of the year. She's usually a much better free throw shooter.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
CW got an offensive rebound with less than 3 minutes to go. She tried to put the ball up again, in a crowd, unsuccessfully. I felt she should have taken the ball out again, and burn another 30 seconds off the clock. Agree, or disagree?[/QUOTE. I totally agree, after screaming at her thru the tv i just chalked it up to freshman adrenalin rush.

Reaction Score
Lou was 4-5 and her miss was early. I think she would have been solid but Pheesa was 3-8 so I would have taken some chances if she touched the ball.
Pheesa could hardly miss a free throw when she was a freshman, bewildering?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Pheesa could hardly miss a free throw when she was a freshman, bewildering?

She wasn't the entire focus of our offense as a freshman. She has had to become that due to Lou's injury. She's got a lot on her plate right now.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The main reason I wanted UCLA to beat Maryland is that UCLA's coach is not all that up on good strategy as Frese is, although Frese leaves a lot to be desired as a coach, imo. I thought that when it came time to making crucial decisions, she would have trouble. Close never did do as much as some thought she would with that number one recruiting class she had. Never came close to winning it all.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She wasn't the entire focus of our offense as a freshman. She has had to become that due to Lou's injury. She's got a lot on her plate right now.
She is my favorite player but, I don't think that is the reason for her problems. She had problems last season also. KLS has had a lot on her plate but she is not having trouble making free throws and neither is Dangerfield.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good question. Damned if I know why?

Reaction Score
Napheesa has been off on her free throws most of the year. She's usually a much better free throw shooter.
But remember, only KLS's off year (for her) 3pt shooting counts not Collier's poor ft shooting, not to dare mention Collier not being a 3pt threat either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom