UC Davis @ Stanford (5) - 12/28/19 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UC Davis @ Stanford (5) - 12/28/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
UCD had a chance to cut the lead down to 3, but now it's back up to 10 inside a minute left and Stanford has the ball.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
67-55 final. If UCD doesn't pull a 10-20 3 point shooting performance out of somewhere this wouldn't have been nearly as interesting. Only 10-34 on 2 point FGA.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The California Aggies really left some points at the FT line, shot only 1-6 in 4Q.

Haley Jones, after sitting on the bench down the stretch of the Texas game, really carried Stanford here with 21 points and 11 rebounds on 9-16 shooting. Lexie Hull added 14.

UC Davis lost a ton to graduation from last year's NCAA tournament team. Hard to believe they were 4-7 coming into this game.

Reaction Score
I think of the two, definitely Carrington is the one they need back and playing like she did last year. That would make a tremendous difference. As of last year Dodson still hadn't come close to living up to her potential.
A healthy Dodson would be a difference-maker as well for Stanford. Dodson can be a defensive menace, even without providing much of a threat on the offensive end. She can clean up on the offensive glass as well. When healthy, Dodson is a perfect supplement for a team that has plenty of offensive options.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The California Aggies really left some points at the FT line, shot only 1-6 in 4Q.

Haley Jones, after sitting on the bench down the stretch of the Texas game, really carried Stanford here with 21 points and 11 rebounds on 9-16 shooting. Lexie Hull added 14.

UC Davis lost a ton to graduation from last year's NCAA tournament team. Hard to believe they were 4-7 coming into this game.
Jones was a revelation - she can generate offense on her own, so when Princeton sets aren't working, she has a completely viable plan B.

Incidentally, part of the reason the Aggies played so well today is that their coach actually taught Tara the Princeton a few seasons back, and that's what they themselves run, so they know our offense almost as well as we do. FWIW, I think that explains why they looked so good today - they practice against it and knew how to defend it. I was very impressed with their defense, as they gave us very few open looks or the kinds of backdoor cuts and bounce passes that are the hallmark of the Princeton.

And yeah, WTF is up with Kiana Williams? Her major shooting funk continues...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And yeah, is up with Kiana Williams? Her major shooting funk continues...

Between Carrington mostly being absent from the line up and Williams not looking like her self many games, good thing for Lexie Hull and the Freshmen so far this season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"Gross mismatch"? Lmao! Keep hyping Stanford, I love it! Smh

Some times teams don’t play up to their potential. This was one of those times. Injuries/fouls to key players that can impact the outcome of a game can’t be foreseen or anticipated, neither can a team playing up or down to the level of its competition as BOTH of these teams did. I used the eye test, and both team’s prior performance this season in formulating my observation.

While you’re LYAO, don’t lose sight of the fact that STANFORD DID WIN THE GAME (by double digits) as anticipated and projected. The anticipated margin of victory was the only thing Stanford did not cover.

I’ll continue to call them like I see them. It’s interesting that no one says anything when my predictions are correct. But when I miss one, the critics and boo-birds come out of the woodwork and let me know about it.

I understand that is the risk you take if you proclaim to be a seer. I understand that is par for the course here in the yard. I’ve eaten my share of crow and humble pie, and expect to eat more in the future. I can handle it.

Forget the two teams involved here. It WAS a gross mis-match because of their respective rankings, #8 vs #174.

#8 Stanford was 10-1 against much better competition than 4-7 #174 UC Davis had played. I’m not hyping Stanford, just calling ‘em like I see them. Stanford’s best win is against #10 ranked Mississippi State. Davis’ best win is against unranked Boston University (3-3). BIG difference.

Anytime #8 plays #174, it’s a gross mis-match whether the teams play like it or not. 999 times out of 1000, #8 wins this match up, and by a large margin.

Post edit - Another example of a "gross" mismatch: # 6 Baylor vs #231 Morehead St.

1577898511660.png

In THIS game, Baylor took care of business. A 47 point win. This is what Stanford SHOULD have done.
56-21 at the half. The game was over. Stanford let the Aggies hang around the entire game playing down to their level.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Some times teams don’t play up to their potential. This was one of those times. I’ll continue to call them like I see them. It WAS a gross mis-match. #8 Stanford was 10-1 against must better competition than 4-7 #174 UCD had played. I’m not hyping Stanford, just calling ‘em like I see them.
Anytime #8 plays #174, it’s a gross mid-match whether the teams play like it or not.
Homer, just admit your prognostication was wrong, it’s ok, we won’t think less of you for admitting it but to double down on this does start to cause us to think “what’s up with this guy?” UCD played well and Stanford again this year struggled against a lesser team. You were wrong, own it. Just some friendly advice from a poster who also has had to admit to gaffes. ;)

Reaction Score
I feel like if UConn had a game and score line with a team like this everyone would be saying UConn shouldn't even be ranked. However Stanford has a couple of these and it's barely discussed.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom