Video stream:
Stanford Live Stream (free)

Audio:

Live stats:

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This game is a gross mis-match. I’ve been following #174 UC Davis (4-7) all season. There is a player on their roster from one of our local high schools that I know (and her parents).

Davis is a sub .500 team right now against competition that is not even in the same zip code as #8 Stanford. The Cardinal controls this one from the tip.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This game is a gross mid-match. I’ve been following Davis all season. There is a player on their roster from one of our local high schools. Davis is a sub .500 team right now against competition that is not even in the same zip code as Stanford.

This game is best described as a David v. Goliath, and David can’t find his slingshot. :confused:
I think many people said the same thing prior to Stanford's matchup with Cal Baptist last month in Victoria. However, I fully expect Stanford to win comfortably against UC-Davis in this game to further improve Carnac's all-time correct prediction percentage.

Was anybody else surprised to see Haley Jones sit so much in the second half of her team's loss to Texas? Tara will sit her star freshmen to impress upon them what they need to do to earn more minutes in her system. Not many women's programs have the depth to sit future stars and former McDonald's All-Americans like Belibi and Jones and still have their teams continue to win consistently against quality opponents.

Reaction Score
If you’re someone who doesn’t have the Pac-12 Network, this is the last time you can watch Stanford until they play Oregon in January on ESPN and Oregon again in February. That’s it.

As far as level of competition goes, it might be close to “gross” mismatch because Stanford is so tough at home. But I think UCD is a little better than their record or the metrics shows. They’ve lost some close games. My team beat them by only 9 pts at home. It felt like Minnesota dodged a bullet in that game.

Minnesota head coach Lindsay Whalen had some nice things to say about UCD.
“Good because we won. That’s a really good team. I thought they challenged us. Obviously the difference in the game turns out to be the second quarter and these two guys right here (Gadiva Hubbard and Destiny Pitts) with their play throughout. But that's a really good team, they pushed us, and we are happy to come out with a win.”

They are a good team. They ran some really good stuff; that's a great coach. The one thing of theirs was they made 11 3’s. We hit two of our other goals, but we wanted to run them off the line. But they run good stuff; they put you in a real bind. This will be a good video for us to watch as coaches and a team as a whole just to see how we can do better on that from here on out. I give them a lot of credit.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Was anybody else surprised to see Haley Jones sit so much in the second half of her team's loss to Texas? Tara will sit her star freshmen to impress upon them what they need to do to earn more minutes in her system. Not many women's programs have the depth to sit future stars and former McDonald's All-Americans like Belibi and Jones and still have their teams continue to win consistently against quality opponents.
Not surprised at all. Tara prizes defense over offense, and defense often equals effort and execution, which frosh are often uneven at (esp. including Jones and Belibi). The Hull twins are some of the only frosh I can remember of recent Stanford vintage who gave 100% whenever they were on court and never relented on defense. (And obviously have continued to do so as sophomores.) In that sense, they often out-perform relative to their inherent level of talent because of how strong their motors are and how unrelenting they are on every play, every defensive assignment, and every potential rebound. I'm a big, big fan of those two.

Reaction Score
Can someone tell Haley Jones that she should tie her long and loose flying hair? Not only it is dangerous but it also doesn't look good.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Can someone tell Haley Jones that she should tie her long and loose flying hair? Not only it is dangerous but it also doesn't look good.
It's a classic look! (I can't pass up an opportunity to rep for Milli Vanilli)

Reaction Score
Stanford can’t seem to shake UCD just yet.
22-20 STAN

Plebe

Reaction Score
Probably because Stanford seems content to give UCD every rebound and open looks to take treys...

ETA: We also haven't made a basket in 6 minutes. Youch.
Dang, I guess we shouldn't underestimate these California Aggies.

I've come to the conclusion that Stanford really, really needs to get Carrington and Dodson back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
32-30 UCD at the half
49C1AA78-5EDC-4F19-BADD-7125B492F881.jpeg

Reaction Score
This game is a gross mis-match. I’ve been following UC Davis (4-7) all season. There is a player on their roster from one of our local high schools that I know (and her parents), and watched her games play all 4 years.

Davis is a sub .500 team right now against competition that is not even in the same zip code as Stanford. This game is best described as a David v. Goliath match up, and David can’t find his slingshot. :confused: Stanford controls this one from the tip. Carnac sez, unless Tara takes her foot off the gas late in the 3rd quarter, I see them winning by 30+.
"Gross mismatch"? Lmao! Keep hyping Stanford, I love it! Smh

Plebe

Reaction Score
UC Davis is pulling a Cal Baptist and coming out on fire from 3, shooting 7-12 from the arc in the 1st half. This is a team that's been shooting 35% FG3 for the year.

Edit to add: UCD's Turner, who only averages 11 minutes per game and came into this game 6-16 on FG3 for the season, was 4 of 5 from the arc in the 1st half.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
"Gross mismatch"? Lmao! Keep hyping Stanford, I love it! Smh
It is a gross mismatch in talent, no question. Whether or not that translates to execution on the court depends on whether the players would rather be enjoying Christmas break or showing up to win. Right now, it seems like the former...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hey, I see Stanford down by 4 with 4 min left in 3rd quarter...anyone watching this that can opine?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This game is a gross mis-match. I’ve been following UC Davis (4-7) all season. There is a player on their roster from one of our local high schools that I know (and her parents), and watched her games play all 4 years.

Davis is a sub .500 team right now against competition that is not even in the same zip code as Stanford. This game is best described as a David v. Goliath match up, and David can’t find his slingshot. :confused: Stanford controls this one from the tip. Carnac sez, unless Tara takes her foot off the gas late in the 3rd quarter, I see them winning by 30+.
Oops! I guess that’s why they play the game....might want to change the Avatar to Homer Simpson and the “Doh!” Image for the next day...:rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Stanford defense finally gaining some traction, gave up only 9 points in 3Q with no 3-pointers, now up by 5.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No doubt that would help, but we still have, what, 7 McD's All-Americans? Surely one of them should be able to make a basket in now EIGHT minutes???

but only 5 can be on the court at one time. ;)

Reaction Score
In this game and the Texas game, am I the only one wondering where that Princeton offense highlighted by Fran Fraschilla went?

Reaction Score
Hey, I see Stanford down by 4 with 4 min left in 3rd quarter...anyone watching this that can opine?
Very surprising that Stanford has had difficulty with this opponent. Haley Jones with a solid third quarter to give the Cardinal some cushion entering the final quarter. Tara has placed some faith today in Anna Wilson and it has paid off. Lots of pieces on that squad for Tara to insert, even without the injured Carrington and Dodson.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've come to the conclusion that Stanford really, really needs to get Carrington and Dodson back.

I think of the two, definitely Carrington is the one they need back and playing like she did last year. That would make a tremendous difference. As of last year Dodson still hadn't come close to living up to her potential.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom