Tyrese Martin declares for the draft | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin declares for the draft

Reaction Score
What team would you like to see Tyrese Martin play on?
Charlotte!!! (jk)

I think Miami would be a great spot for him. Good team that has a reputation for rewarding toughness and developing young guys. They have a lot of injury-prone veterans in their rotation, so young guys have potential to get real minutes. Caleb Martin is a popular Tyrese comp, and this year he was a 2-way guy for Miami who ended up playing in 54 games (and counting), including 10 starts.

Reaction Score
Charlotte!!! (jk)

I think Miami would be a great spot for him. Good team that has a reputation for rewarding toughness and developing young guys. They have a lot of injury-prone veterans in their rotation, so young guys have potential to get real minutes. Caleb Martin is a popular Tyrese comp, and this year he was a 2-way guy for Miami who ended up playing in 54 games (and counting), including 10 starts.

obviously, a team like miami, toronto, or memphis would be great (all known for their scouting and player development) but his best chance might be on a rebuilding team. i am thinking of the way that guys like lu dort and jae'sean tate made themselves into quality nba role players by going undrafted and getting a shot on absolutely terrible teams. i think martin could have the mental fortitude to thrive in that type of scenario, potentially.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Sad and glad to see him go, a true Huskie for sure! Good luck in everything you do Tyrese.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t be happier Hurley brought him to UConn. I really enjoyed watching him play and improve. As others have noted, the NBA is not out of the question.

Two-way players are making 500k+ a year. I think he could get on board with that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't watch any NBA but Martin seems to fit the profile of what a lot of teams are looking to find. Bottom line is hell make money playing basketball professionally whether it's the NBA, G League, or overseas.

His success should help with recruiting that Hurley took an A10 guy up to the BE who will have a shot at the league.

Reaction Score
His YOY improvement is a real testament to the the work he put in this summer and development by staff. Would have loved if he came back for 1 more but hard to improve draft stock much more at his age.

Could totally see someone getting him in 2nd round. Daniel Hamilton was a 6'7' forward that shot 33% from 3 and grabbed 9 rebounds a game and was drafted by the Nuggets.

6"6' guard shooting 43% from 3 and grabbing 7 rebounds a game is going to get people's attention. Well deserved and happy he will now have an opportunity to make some serious coin playing ball.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Great example to everyone of leadership, character and toughness that defines the Huskies. We will never forget "the look". Wish you were coming back because we will truly miss you. Best wishes wherever you wind up and if you do move on don't forget to stop back in or stay in touch with the younger guys. We could see you coaching them up on the floor and them drawing strength from you.

Reaction Score
TM is a real success story and an example of someone who proved himself at the highest level. He was solid his first three years in all metrics and took a big jump in 3 point % this year.

With his size, athletic ability, toughness and drive to better himself he has the potential to at least be signed by an NBA team and I wouldn't bet against him making a roster and having a long career in the league.

My one piece of advice for TM and all kids today is delay the gratification, put away at least half your salary every year, and build the base you need to do whatever you choose when your playing days are over..................maybe even coaching.

Reaction Score
I appreciate all that Tyrese brought to the program.
I also appreciate that he wrote his farewell himself - versus the sanitized perfect Grammer stuff you often see coming from agents, attorneys, or pr people.

Reaction Score
Boards and three ball.. Some more skill development.. With the right team-You never know. Hope he gets a shot to show his stuff in camp. Wish him well.

Puparoni

Woof!
Reaction Score
Tyrese wore the #4 and arm sleeve in a manner that Jeff Adrien would be proud of. Best of luck whereever you go!

Reaction Score
Just for an expectation on who gets the final roster spots and 2-way contracts, I will bring you the story of Theo Pinson.

Pinson was a North Carolina guard who averaged 6.2 PPG and 3.4 APG and shot 25.7% from the 3-point range in 122 games of his college career. He's 6-foot-6 and has good size. He left Carolina in 2018.

This guy is currently on a two-way deal with Indiana and has played in the NBA. His final year at Carolina was 10 PPG and 23% 3-point shooting. He's been with Brooklyn for 2 years, Celtics for camp and then their G League team. Been with Mavericks for 16 games (covid call-up) and then with the Pacers on a two-way for the rest of this year.

He nearly made the Celtics out of preseason camp, and has averaged 18.8 PPG in 46 G League games with .38% 3-point shooting and 84% FT.

Like Martin, this guy is 6-6 and can score. He isn't the kind of player that dominated college, but we have to get over that.

The NBA, at the end of the bench, is about filling a niche.

1. Defend multiple positions
2. Shoot
3. Size -- as in very big

Martin is 2 of three and has prototype size. Now, there are a lot of guys like that, but he's 6-foot-6 and looks to have NBA size and athleticism.

Once you get out of the first round, college performance doesn't matter. It's what you may be able to do. Now, he's a long way to go before he's Theo Pinson, but NBA has become a developmental league too. Who knows when you are going to hit the next Duncan Robinson.

Will Martin play in NBA? Don't know. He's a G League guy for me and will have to fight in camp to get a two-way, or really go gang busters in Summer League. Could someone take a shot in the second round on him? Maybe, but once you get past 35 in the NBA draft it tends to be about draft and stay overseas for a year.

Martin can't create his own offense, but on what planet is he ever going to be an offensive focus? He's the guy who gets an open shot when Durant gets double teamed.

Reaction Score
His YOY improvement is a real testament to the the work he put in this summer and development by staff. Would have loved if he came back for 1 more but hard to improve draft stock much more at his age.

Could totally see someone getting him in 2nd round. Daniel Hamilton was a 6'7' forward that shot 33% from 3 and grabbed 9 rebounds a game and was drafted by the Nuggets.

6"6' guard shooting 43% from 3 and grabbing 7 rebounds a game is going to get people's attention. Well deserved and happy he will now have an opportunity to make some serious coin playing ball.

He did but I dont think he ever played an NBA game. But a different situation between Hamilton leaving after his sophmore year and Tyrese.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He should get a shot somewhere, definitely G League. I follow the Pacers and I’d take Tyrese right now over some of the scrubs they’ve had on the roster this year

I think he has a sneaky good shot at this.

The odds are not great, but it’s the NBA and the NBA is insane…but I think scouts will like him more than perhaps we think. I can definitely see him in the G league.

Reaction Score
Remember a rough start fitting in and many here saying he’s “A10 talent”. Once he figured it out he became quite a player for the Huskies playing both ends at 110%. Became a very good 3 baller this year especially hit some huge shots.

Not sure we realize how much we will miss him next year!

Reaction Score
Good luck! Solid player, helped UConn win a number of games for sure! His contribution will be missed a great deal.
My one piece of advice for TM and all kids today is delay the gratification, put away at least half your salary every year, and build the base you need to do whatever you choose when your playing days are over..................maybe even coaching.
Considering the median listing price for a home in the US is closing in on 400K ($392,000) this is solid advice.

So hopefully he does make at least...
500k+ a year.

Reaction Score
Best of luck! Should have a great career overseas!

Always a husky.
Tyrese will match up wonderfully overseas. He has had problems vs. quicker same-sized players which the NBA has in abundance.
His toughness and threebility will wow ‘em.
Good luck to a Husky that carried our spirit into battle every night!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I don't know if he is good enough to make the NBA. A question I have always wondered is that if you are guy that's good but not good enough to make the NBA, do you go the G-League route or Europe? I feel like playing in Europe would be more interesting. It would be much cooler to live in Barcelona, Madrid, Lyon, or somewhere in Greece or Italy than Des Moines or Delaware.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Remember a rough start fitting in and many here saying he’s “A10 talent”. Once he figured it out he became quite a player for the Huskies playing both ends at 110%. Became a very good 3 baller this year especially hit some huge shots.

Not sure we realize how much we will miss him next year!
A lot I expect. I think his toughness and leadership as a stabilizing force for the younger or less confident players was impactful. Ditto Cole.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom