Tyrese Hunter in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He’s unbelievable. Such a UConn guard!! Reel him in

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You have to think that in cases like this where the kid knows he is going to be starting next season, a coach at a "better known" program has gotten in his ear and said get in the transfer portal and I will grab you and you will start for me - no waiting a year, etc.
IMHO this thing has gone way too far

Reaction Score
Kid like this hits the portal he's probably know where he's going for a little while.

This is the dirty tricks of the portal.

Reaction Score
Rumors I’ve seen on r/CBB indicate he’s going to UNC and cashing in bigly on NIL.

NIL and open transfer portal together are madness. I get they’re both better for the players themselves, but this is not healthy for 98% of programs. I just hope we wind up in the 2% at the top that benefits most. And I think we will.

E: apparently UNC has no open scholarships so it won’t be them. But still, he’s clearly going out there to get as big an NIL payday as he can, and one of these big programs is gonna grab him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From Racine. Isn’t Caron from Racine. Let’s make the connection.
There is evidence he and Caron are already pretty tight. Below is a link from when he played for "Caron Butler Elite". I assume a AAU (or whatever) team Caron sponsors. Or something along those lines.

Edit: I follow Caron on Facebook. I'm pretty sure I've seen videos that Caron has posted over the years which include Tyrese. Practicing together. Running drills together. Gotta assume they already know each other quite well. Caron is likely a significant mentor for Tyrese.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rumors I’ve seen on r/CBB indicate he’s going to UNC and cashing in bigly on NIL.

NIL and open transfer portal together are madness. I get they’re both better for the players themselves, but this is not healthy for 98% of programs. I just hope we wind up in the 2% at the top that benefits most. And I think we will.

E: apparently UNC has no open scholarships so it won’t be them. But still, he’s clearly going out there to get as big an NIL payday as he can, and one of these big programs is gonna grab him.
I don't know if we will ever compete with the blue bloods or even the $EC with NIL. They have unlimited money to throw around because of mega rich billionaire donors, we don't have that type of luxury. We'll be in that next tier though. Like you have companies who are signing the entire UK team to a multi-million dollar deal. It's insanity - good for the kids for being able to capitalize on it, but yikes for the programs who don't have the resources to do it.

I get that there are only a handful of programs like UK, but holy crap when you can tell a kid hey uhh yeah if you come here you'll just be added into this team NIL deal worth millions and you'll be making 750k from it for as long as you are in school.

Reaction Score
I don't know if we will ever compete with the blue bloods or even the $EC with NIL. They have unlimited money to throw around because of mega rich billionaire donors, we don't have that type of luxury. We'll be in that next tier though. Like you have companies who are signing the entire UK team to a multi-million dollar deal. It's insanity - good for the kids for being able to capitalize on it, but yikes for the programs who don't have the resources to do it.

I get that there are only a handful of programs like UK, but holy crap when you can tell a kid hey uhh yeah if you come here you'll just be added into this team NIL deal worth millions and you'll be making 750k from it for as long as you are in school.
Sometimes, there's hungry nights where I'm not able to eat, but I still gotta play up to my capabilities."Apr 15, 2014. I understood Shabazz and felt reform was needed. But what is going on is ridiculous. I know the argument schools make billions, players should get a share. But that is what the NBA is for. I don’t know what the magic number is. Maybe match the scholarship to what tuition room and board would be. That way they get the free “education” plus

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You have to think that in cases like this where the kid knows he is going to be starting next season, a coach at a "better known" program has gotten in his ear and said get in the transfer portal and I will grab you and you will start for me - no waiting a year, etc.
IMHO this thing has gone way too far
Yeah. Before Newton, we might have been a good fit for him. Not anymore. He won't be pushing Dajuan Harris out at KU either. My guess is Kentucky to replace Ty Ty Washington.

Reaction Score
Sometimes, there's hungry nights where I'm not able to eat, but I still gotta play up to my capabilities."Apr 15, 2014. I understood Shabazz and felt reform was needed. But what is going on is ridiculous. I know the argument schools make billions, players should get a share. But that is what the NBA is for. I don’t know what the magic number is. Maybe match the scholarship to what tuition room and board would be. That way they get the free “education” plus
I could see an NIL cap for a program or something happening, similar to a salary cap. That might be how you keep it under control so the top schools with billionaire donors don’t just run away with this

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Kid like this hits the portal he's probably know where he's going for a little while.

This is the dirty tricks of the portal.

Oddly enough, you don't even have to be dirty or secretive. Are there any NCAA policies about reaching out or poaching kids at another school?

Reaction Score
They've always gotten tuition, room & board, & books & fees. Then they topped that off with money for travel, utility bills, planes, and extras ($2-$6k). Then they added $5k+ for good grades, or just because. Then NIL.

Look, it's pretty clear they should go pro and stay connected to the school. Going pro will allow them to get paid out of the coach's salary.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I always felt like the revenue athletes should be paid a yearly wage and then also have money in a fund that vests a certain amount each year with the biggest percentage being tied into graduation.

Reaction Score

Schools make billions of college athletes. They also make billions of regular students attending college via loans they know many of them won’t be able to pay back (or if they can, will ultimately pay even more in the long run).

It’s not just the NCAA but higher education in general. They’ve got everyone by the balls. Something’s gotta give.

Reaction Score
Schools make billions of college athletes. They also make billions of regular students attending college via loans they know many of them won’t be able to pay back (or if they can, will ultimately pay even more in the long run).

It’s not just the NCAA but higher education in general. They’ve got everyone by the balls. Something’s gotta give.
Have you ever looked at a university budget?

I mean, you're a UConn fan. You really think UConn is making big money on its sports?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have you ever looked at a university budget?

I mean, you're a UConn fan. You really think UConn is making big money on its sports?
Losing money. Almost every school is. And the ones making money aren’t making very much relative to their overall budget. It’s an expense. I consider it marketing, designed to promote the name of the school and make it attractive for students.

I like NIL because it’s a fairly cost free way for some athletes to make money while retaining eligibility. But the idea that they weren’t fairly compensated was never accurate. Maybe whoever is the starting QB at Alabama is under compensated, but everyone playing a sport other than football or mens basketball is over compensated and most of the football and basketball players are as well. They get free coaching, free access to facilities, a free education, room and board, travel, equipment or clothing.

Reaction Score
Losing money. Almost every school is. And the ones making money aren’t making very much relative to their overall budget. It’s an expense. I consider it marketing, designed to promote the name of the school and make it attractive for students.

I like NIL because it’s a fairly cost free way for some athletes to make money while retaining eligibility. But the idea that they weren’t fairly compensated was never accurate. Maybe whoever is the starting QB at Alabama is under compensated, but everyone playing a sport other than football or mens basketball is over compensated and most of the football and basketball players are as well. They get free coaching, free access to facilities, a free education, room and board, travel, equipment or clothing.
This is why I think they need a pro model now, and they can still draw from the university brand so that the fans don't lose interest (though they might).

If the sports teams went pro and kept their own budgets, the players might just find a way to eat into those coaches salaries. Otherwise, the colleges will continue to pay the coaches and ADs because of the pressure from fans, boards and boosters. So colleges will never make money as long as they don't have to balance their budgets.

Only by going pro will you see colleges both stop losing money and the players will get paid finally. It will come at the coaches' expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom