Tyler Polley returning to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley returning to UConn

Reaction Score
Start? Why would he start? He didn't start last year and the same guys are competing for that SF spot. I don't accept your "otherwise". He may have had no real pro options, and maybe loves playing and being at UConn. I expect him to be a reserve shooter when needed. I expect Martin starts at SF initially unless Jackson shows he deserves it.

I'm not convinced Whaley is starting either, not if Akok is healthy.
but according to your logic, if whaley started last season he should start next season. polley put his name into the nba draft to get feedback (his feedback is gonna be he's not getting drafted but he's def playing overseas if he wants)

i know you dont care about shooting but you should

Reaction Score
he only averaged 30 because akok didnt play and aj had a slow start. martin doesnt have a natural position. he can't shoot or pass like polley and aj and he cant block shots like whaley and akok. what does he do better than those guys? it's not ideal i didnt like giving him 10 but something's gotta give. he was also pretty bad all around to end the season.
Uh, he led the team in rebounding. By a comfortable margin. And plays very tough defense. Polley shoots 3-pointers really well but that's all he does. I would say Polley is much more of a guy without a position than Tyrese. His defense and rebounding will demand minutes, some of which will be at the expense of of Polley. Healthy Akok and Jackson will have an impact on Polley's minutes about as much as Martin's, they both get their minutes at the 3-4. I'm really excited to have Tyler back; we really need his shooting. And I hope he can take a leap getting back to full health. I agree with you that something has to give but I really doubt that its's Martin's minutes drop from 30 to 10 while Polley's stay at 20.

There are a ton of players heading to the portal. If Martin had any inkling that he would lose a starting job and/or see his minutes drop to 10, do you think he would be around? I mean this is the type of argument you used for Polley.

Reaction Score
Uh, he led the team in rebounding. By a comfortable margin. And plays very tough defense. Polley shoots 3-pointers really well but that's all he does. I would say Polley is much more of a guy without a position than Tyrese. His defense and rebounding will demand minutes, some of which will be at the expense of of Polley. Healthy Akok and Jackson will have an impact on Polley's minutes about as much as Martin's, they both get their minutes at the 3-4. I'm really excited to have Tyler back; we really need his shooting. And I hope he can take a leap getting back to full health. I agree with you that something has to give but I really doubt that its's Martin's minutes drop from 30 to 10 while Polley's stay at 20.
lets see your rotation. it's not easy. i think if we get pre-injury polley next year, his shooting fits best with whaley and sanogo. it really comes down to that or is everyone already forgetting shooting was our biggest weakness this year? martin's rebounding from the SF spot isnt that important. everyone is also expecting a big jump from aj.

Last edited:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
This season didn't end as we had hoped, but you have to wonder how much that one and done tournament showing has influenced the return of Zay and Polley.

Even with the loss of Bouk, we now have returned a huge % of our minutes and scoring. Excited for next year.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
lets see your rotation. it's not easy. i think if we get pre-injury polley next year, his shooting fits best with whaley and sanogo at the other spots. it's really comes down to that or is everyone already forgetting shooting was our biggest weakness next year?
RJ 30, Sool 10
Gaff 25, Hawk 10, Martin 5
Martin 25, Polley 10, Akok 5
Whaley 20 , Akok 20
Adama 30, Whaley 10

Competition for the Calrton foul trouble role.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
but according to your logic, if whaley started last season he should start next season

i know you dont care about shooting but you should

I care about shooting. I think Polley is, a marginal improvement over Martin as a shooter. He's a massive downgrade as a defender, rebounder, ball handler, passer and overall hustle player.

My logic is that the best guy should start. Sanogo beat out Whaley and Josh at center over time. Whaley started because he was our best 4 with Akok not healthy. With Akok healthy, he is probably our best 4, but they will each need to compete for those minutes and against Springs/Johnson too. Martin or Jackson is easily our best SF, both are far more complete players than Polley. Jackson may get time as a guard as well. Gaffney is, at the moment, our best SG. But Hawkins will compete there, as will Jackson and Martin to some degree. Cole is the best PG, but he has to fight with Gaffney and possibly Diggins for those minutes.

Best guys play.

Reaction Score
RJ 30, Sool 10
Whaley 20 , Akok 20
Adama 30, Whaley 10
we're probably adding a 13th guy to the backcourt. where's jackson? akok has never played SF. polley didnt come back after graduating to play 10 mpg when he could go pro overseas.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
RJ 30, Sool 10
Whaley 20 , Akok 20
Adama 30, Whaley 10

You are missing Jackson. But this is otherwise decent.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
1 RJ 25, Gaff 8 Sool 7
2 Gaff 20, Hawk 10, Martin 10
3 Jackson 20 Martin 10, Polley 10,
4 Whaley 15, Akok 20, Johnson 5
5 Adama 30, Whaley 10

The reality is that matchups will change these dramatically game to game. It's also entirely possible that by January, Hawkins is up to 20+ minutes a game. There is also still a possibly transfer on the way.

Reaction Score
1 RJ 25, Gaff 8 Sool 7
2 Gaff 20, Hawk 10, Martin 10
3 Jackson 20 Martin 10, Polley 10,
4 Whaley 15, Akok 20, Johnson 5
5 Adama 30, Whaley 10
that's an even worse starting lineup than we had this year in terms of shooting...

only 7 mpg for diggins? barf to martin at SG. you said akok was going to start. no springs after 2 years on the bench already? i've said my piece on polley

see how easy it is to crap on other people's rotations.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Did Polley hit on your wife or something? This is a mind-boggling statement. I have a hard time believing that you really think this.

He is not a good shooter off the dribble, has shown no midrange game, doesn't get to the rim. He can make open threes off the catch. His career FG% is just under 40%. Martin's is 43%. Since that doesn't account for 3's, the eFG% is 51.3% Polley, 49% Martin. A little bit better. Martin's eFG% is the same as Jalen Adams' was.

Reaction Score
RJ 30, Sool 10
Whaley 20 , Akok 20
Adama 30, Whaley 10

0 minutes for Jackson, Akok at the 3, 10 for Hawkins? I think you're starting to see the trouble coming up with a rotation now

Reaction Score
this is assuming jackson gains at least a serviceable jumpshot. if not, his minutes will drop.

by end of season:
1: rj 25, sool 15
2: hawkins 20, gaffney 10, martin 10
3: jackson 20, martin 10, polley 10
4: whaley 20, akok 10, polley 5, johnson 5
5: sanogo 25, whaley 10, akok 5

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
that's an even worse starting lineup than we had this year in terms of shooting...

only 7 mpg for diggins? barf to martin at SG. you said akok was going to start. no springs after 2 years on the bench already? i've said my piece on polley

see how easy it is to crap on other people's rotations.

I just listed minutes, not starters. I expect Dan to mix and match. If Jackson is at the 3, he needs someone like Akok at the 4. If Sanogo and Whaley are in, maybe Martin is the 3 and Hawkins is the 2. It's a bunch of pieces you move around. I doubt he knows what lineups are going to work. I only crapped on the idea of Polley starting over two guys he didn't start over last year, one of whom Hurley thinks could be a leap to the NBA guy this season. I doubt that Hurley could come up with accurate projections right now.

Best guys (in all phases of the game) will play.

Reaction Score
All of this rotation minutes allocation stuff is pointless, we're going to have at least 12 guys who could get significant minutes almost anywhere. The season is 7 months away and minutes will be earned through competition. The one thing Hurley needs to stress constantly is pushing pace so we can use all this depth to our advantage and wear our opponents out.

Reaction Score
Plenty of minutes for the guards.

One of AJ/Rese/Polley will end up on the outside looking in unless Akok is still unplayable, then plenty of minutes as they bolster the 4 spot.

1 of Springs or Johnson will end up getting 15 min or so a game, the other won't. My gut says Johnson gets it. His size and length gives him a lot more of a handicap than Springs getting back into broken plays and switching on the perimeter. Springs has had 2 years and shown very little... not counting on it but hoping he can be a player.

More depth this year than we've had in a while, without a go-to option. I really hope not deferring to Bouk woll result in less iso and more hard cutting, looking for shooters etc.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Welcome back Mr. Polley. Please be more consistent. Thank you.

Reaction Score
Plenty of minutes for the guards.

One of AJ/Rese/Polley will end up on the outside looking in unless Akok is still unplayable, then plenty of minutes as they bolster the 4 spot.

1 of Springs or Johnson will end up getting 15 min or so a game, the other won't. My gut says Johnson gets it. His size and length gives him a lot more of a handicap than Springs getting back into broken plays and switching on the perimeter. Springs has had 2 years and shown very little... not counting on it but hoping he can be a player.

More depth this year than we've had in a while, without a go-to option. I really hope not deferring to Bouk woll result in less iso and more hard cutting, looking for shooters etc.
Depth is insane, but may be a bit of a "cheerleader effect" where all the options look great until we throw 5 together on the court and think "where's the playmaking going to come from?"

I actually don't think either Springs or Johnson will get minutes next year, but will have plenty available the year after.

There is a serious logjam at the 3/4 and I hope two studs emerge. Sometimes that's better than 4 so-so options.

Still, I'd much rather have the options than not.

Reaction Score
Martin does literally everything better than Polley aside from shoot. Granted, shooting is a big part of the game and I'm happy that Polley is back, but you're underselling Martin. There's a reason he played 10 minutes more a game this year than Polley did.
Martin is a junk yard dog-Meant in the best possible way-If he can clean up his put-backs and garbage baskets next year-He's all BE material.

Would love to see SnC develop some explosion in his legs this summer.

Reaction Score
I think Polley needs to improve as a scorer next year and I think he will coming back from ACL. UCONN needs his 3 pt shooting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom