2024 Recruiting: - Tyler Betsey breaks down his recruitment | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tyler Betsey breaks down his recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Even during the best years under Calhoun we never got the top five stars to come to UConn. Drummond was highest I think, Rip, Gay and Kemba might have been top five or top ten. But Duke, NC, Kentucky and Kansas always have gotten the most five stars. So we should not expect that to change. Hurley will get some five star top ten types, but he will recruit to culture and develop. Seems we have already seen that the one and done is not necessarily the best way to build a roster. For me if I would say, the team that has won the most chips since 1999 would be the recruiting model that should be copied. Not stacking 5 stars ten deep and having no chemistry.

Reaction Score
Even during the best years under Calhoun we never got the top five stars to come to UConn. Drummond was highest I think, Rip, Gay and Kemba might have been top five or top ten. But Duke, NC, Kentucky and Kansas always have gotten the most five stars. So we should not expect that to change. Hurley will get some five star top ten types, but he will recruit to culture and develop. Seems we have already seen that the one and done is not necessarily the best way to build a roster. For me if I would say, the team that has won the most chips since 1999 would be the recruiting model that should be copied. Not stacking 5 stars ten deep and having no chemistry.

Donyell was up there as well, very high!

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Charlie V, Khalid, Rip, Caron, Taliek, DeAndre....
1683785282214.gif

Reaction Score
I thought bynum
And Charlie were our highest recruits ever. Maybe Rudy.

Reaction Score
Surprised by this. Some folks in the know on here have said he isn't very interested in UConn. This interview would seem to suggest otherwise. I'm glad to see we're putting in the work to watch his games over the summer.

As always, I think we stand as good of a shot as anyone if we can get him in for an OV.

Reaction Score
Here are the things that are true:
1. UConn is not currently their first choice.
2. As I said before, the staff fully expects to be able to make their full pitch to him.
3. This staff is very good at official visits and laying out a developmental plan for recruits; and, every year they’ve been together, there are more successful outcomes to highlight.
4. They’ve had success selling a reluctant parent on the university itself before.
5. I know the comment about him having a support system close is out there, but no one really thinks being close is going to give them a significant edge.
6. His first couple weekends of the recruiting season have been fine but not spectacular. No one currently recruiting him is bothered by that. The not-so-secret secret about recruiting is coaches don’t mind at all if guys don’t show their best once they’ve locked into them. No one needs a top target to suddenly get an avalanche of new offers.
7. This list got ridiculously long.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Surprised by this. Some folks in the know on here have said he isn't very interested in UConn. This interview would seem to suggest otherwise. I'm glad to see we're putting in the work to watch his games over the summer.

As always, I think we stand as good of a shot as anyone if we can get him in for an OV.
Have to admit it does sound more encouraging --per him-- than it has in the past.. Esp. with his mention of a prospective OV.. Get him on campus and get it done.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Here are the things that are true:
1. UConn is not currently their first choice.
2. As I said before, the staff fully expects to be able to make their full pitch to him.
3. This staff is very good at official visits and laying out a developmental plan for recruits; and, every year they’ve been together, there are more successful outcomes to highlight.
4. They’ve had success selling a reluctant parent on the university itself before.
5. I know the comment about him having a support system close is out there, but no one really thinks being close is going to give them a significant edge.
6. His first couple weekends of the recruiting season have been fine but not spectacular. No one currently recruiting him is bothered by that. The not-so-secret secret about recruiting is coaches don’t mind at all if guys don’t show their best once they’ve locked into them. No one needs a top target to suddenly get an avalanche of new offers.
7. This list got ridiculously long.
He’s going to duke if they prioritize him. Writing is on the wall, but we sound like we’re in the best position unless they do.

Reaction Score
He’s going to duke if they prioritize him. Writing is on the wall, but we sound like we’re in the best position unless they do.
But Duke isn't prioritizing him. They're pursuing 3 or 4 others at his position and won't even tell him what role they see for him. That wouldn't make me feel very special.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I thought bynum
And Charlie were our highest recruits ever. Maybe Rudy.
Bynum was highest but he never played thought he decided to enter draft after committing. Charlie V was very high I missed him. And Drummond does not count since technically he started the year as a walk on.

Reaction Score
But Duke isn't prioritizing him. They're pursuing 3 or 4 others at his position and won't even tell him what role they see for him. That wouldn't make me feel very special.
Can’t “prioritize” everyone. I see people claiming Duke is “prioritizing” more than a handful of recruits and portal guys. The numbers don’t add up.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Calhoun also got a commitment from Andrew Bynum but he went pro out of high school. Even Oriakhi was rated pretty high
was there a somewhat official commitment from Brandon Jennings too?

Reaction Score

I'd be surprised if he ends up with a spectacular AAU season. Some kids just don't thrive in that kind of environment. Hawkins was the same way IIRC.

Reaction Score
For 2024, Duke has the following SF offers per 247:

ranking:
#11 overall player
#14 overall player
#17 overall player - Committed to Arizona
#20 overall player - Committed to Duke
#24 overall player - Betsey
#53 overall player - Committed to Duke

It doesn't seem like Betsey is a top priority for Duke.

Reaction Score
was there a somewhat official commitment from Brandon Jennings too?
I don't remember anything official from Jennings but my memory is a bit fuzzy. I remember salivating over him as a prospect and from an outsiders view, we looked like we had a good chance to land him. We "settled" for Kemba and he became a legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom