Two Questions regarding Natalie Achonwa | The Boneyard

Two Questions regarding Natalie Achonwa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
First, let me preface my thoughts by saying unequivocally that Achonwa's injury was a terrible thing that shouldn't happen to anyone. A tough break for a great player. I was not that impressed with her regular season level of play, but in the tourney, she has been outstanding. She really raised her game.

UConn fans are all too familiar with season ending injuries. How many Titles would UConn have if not for critical season ending injuries. Notre Dame fans, we feel and share your pain.

Achonwa's injury could work two ways. It could be too much to overcome, and Notre Dame will lose. However, it could also provide an inspiration, a modern day Gipper so to speak, and Notre Dame can use that to win. Don't underestimate the inspirational effect.

While Achonwa's injury is a major loss to Notre Dame, don't lose sight of the fact that UConn is playing without Morgan Tuck. So my first question is, compare these two losses and their impact on their respective teams. Include a comparison of Tuck and Achonwa, which is complicated by the fact that Tuck is a Soph and Achonwa is a Senior.

Second, how do you think Achonwa's injury affects her WNBA draft status? If you were a GM, how much of a chance do you take that she will fully recover from this injury? If you need help now, how do you justify drafting someone who will not be available this season? It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Please don't take these questions as being disrespectful of Achonwa's injury. That certainly was not my intent.

Reaction Score
Achonwa anchored Notre Dame like Dolson does for UCONN but they'll have a chance against MD.

I would not use a draft spot for her since there are so few spots available and so many good players this year. I'm sure she'll get a tryout next year after she rehabs if she still wants to play.

Reaction Score
Achonwa anchored Notre Dame like Dolson does for UCONN but they'll have a chance against MD.

I would not use a draft spot for her since there are so few spots available and so many good players this year. I'm sure she'll get a tryout next year after she rehabs if she still wants to play.
I think she'll be drafted early in the second round by a team that doesn't have room on the roster for two drafted players (expecting the first rounder makes the roster) and can therefore wait a year to see how she progresses from her injury.

Last edited:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yes, you could phrase it another way: what would we be like without Stef?

Reaction Score
Yes, you could phrase it another way: what would we be like without Stef?

A much better analogy. Achonwa's is bigger than Tuck's at this point because of the timing. Tuck's loss was big, but the Huskies have played virtually the entire season without her; that's plenty of time to adjust. Even with Lewis' more recent injury, the Huskies have had the "luxury" of time to adjust under game conditions.

Reimer has talent, but she's where Achonwa was 3 years ago; their freshman year stats are very similar.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I am not 100% familiar with the WNBA rules. If you draft a player and she doesnt make the roster do you retain her rights?
If you have her rights is that considered a spot on the now 12 women roster?

Achonwa's recovery time is stated at 6-9 months which means at best she might be ready to go for the overseas season(in October) or at worst ready to go by January(9 months out).

Reaction Score
First, let me preface my thoughts by saying unequivocally that Achonwa's injury was a terrible thing that shouldn't happen to anyone. A tough break for a great player. I was not that impressed with her regular season level of play, but in the tourney, she has been outstanding. She really raised her game.

UConn fans are all too familiar with season ending injuries. How many Titles would UConn have if not for critical season ending injuries. Notre Dame fans, we feel and share your pain.

Achonwa's injury could work two ways. It could be too much to overcome, and Notre Dame will lose. However, it could also provide an inspiration, a modern day Gipper so to speak, and Notre Dame can use that to win. Don't underestimate the inspirational effect.

While Achonwa's injury is a major loss to Notre Dame, don't lose sight of the fact that UConn is playing without Morgan Tuck. So my first question is, compare these two losses and their impact on their respective teams. Include a comparison of Tuck and Achonwa, which is complicated by the fact that Tuck is a Soph and Achonwa is a Senior.

Second, how do you think Achonwa's injury affects her WNBA draft status? If you were a GM, how much of a chance do you take that she will fully recover from this injury? If you need help now, how do you justify drafting someone who will not be available this season? It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Please don't take these questions as being disrespectful of Achonwa's injury. That certainly was not my intent.
Don't count Notre Dame out. They still have top talent, and I think they will beat Maryland

Reaction Score
Would not be surprised to see her a late first round pick to a team that could afford to have their pick sit out a year.

Reaction Score
Would not be surprised to see her a late first round pick to a team that could afford to have their pick sit out a year.

That could work for her or against her.

If noone picks her she could try out for the team of her choice when she's ready.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a big loss as well for Team Canada as she will not be able to play in the World Championship this year

Reaction Score

Would they have to pay her if they draft her?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Catchings, IIRC, was drafted after her season ending injury - also and ACL. I'm guessing the pay structures and what counts against the cap are a tad different.

Cam?

Reaction Score
That could work for her or against her.

If noone picks her she could try out for the team of her choice when she's ready.
To expand on my post: The WNBA really doesn't pay these women enough for them to have agents. So are they free to "apply" for "jobs" as players in the WNBA?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
To expand on my post: The WNBA really doesn't pay these women enough for them to have agents. So are they free to "apply" for "jobs" as players in the WNBA?

Most of them do have agents, particularly to help them with overseas contracts in the WNBA off season, because overseas teams pay much more than the WNBA.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A number of teams including the Sun have drafted injured players with an eye to the following year. I am not sure how they treat the player - someone who makes the 12 person roster and is then injured still counts against that number unless they are released. (One of the reason for the expansion of rosters was that people were getting down to very short benches with injuries during the season.) For a drafted player that does not report to the team, the team still retains their rights but they do not count. For a player that is medically unable to perform but is drafted I just don't know the rule.
I think Natalie has a high enough upside that a late first round or second round pick will be worth the risk even if she has to be counted as one of the 12 roster spots. For her ... it would probably be better if she didn't get drafted as she would then be free to choose a team when she is medically able to play rather than belonging to a specific team.
Tuck not being available for Uconn is a big loss, but she would not be a starter at this point, even if she hadn't been injured. And Stokes might not have improved as much as she did this year had Morgan been taking a significant number of her minutes. So ... There is absolutely no comparison between the two situations in terms of impact on the team. Natalie has been starting the last two years and is a huge part of the ND offensive and defensive game plans. Morgan was a very useful player to bring off the bench but was not central to the game plan. And she was flexible in that she could spell both wing and post players and provide a different look to opponents on both ends. Shorter than Stokes but a better exterior defender and more of an offensive threat.

Reaction Score
I am a huge fan of Morgan Tuck and her versatility. She offers UConn a bunch of options that they truly miss without her presence. But one cannot compare the relative impact of UConn losing her services and the loss of Achonwa to ND. ND was not a particularly big team with her in the lineup, and therefore will feel her loss especially acutely now that she's gone. Furthermore, she's a particularly fiery and experienced competitor who was, in many ways, the emotional heart and soul of her team, a status I hope Morgan eventually achieves for UConn, but has not yet. Having said all of that, I have felt from the beginning of the season that UConn and ND were the #1 and #2 teams in the country (in that order), and that there was a significant drop-off behind them. Accordingly, while the loss of Achonwa is huge, I am in the apparent minority that still thinks ND has the second best team, and I fully expect them to make it to the final....and play a very competitive game once they get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom