Twitter and Big East Films | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Twitter and Big East Films

Reaction Score
So where on the scale of approval/disapproval regarding Goodman were you prior to Cooley’s departure and where do you stand now?

Personally I’m indifferent to him but as you can easily observe he’s highly regarded in this forum.
My opinion hasn't changed. He seems to work hard and often has some good information. His personality leaves much to be desired, as does his constant need to make everything about him.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If you really, truly, totally, honestly, seriously, and sincerely think that it might be the most overblown topic in college hoops history...then you think that it might be the most overblown topic in college hoops history.

That statement alone, without considering or arguing anything else, makes it something that might be the most overblown topic in college hoops history. But it does not make it the most overblown topic in college hoops history.

I think it "might be" but is not the most overblown topic in the history of college hoops.

I don't think that my thought makes it not the most overblown topic in college hoops history.

I believe that covers both your statement and mine in each one's entirety. Unless either one of us is being dishonest in representing what we think it might be, we are both indisputably right.

As to whether it actually is the most overblown topic in college hoops history, neither of us knows that to be objective truth or consensus opinion toward establised certainty that it is most overblown topic in college hoops history. I maintain my strong doubts.

Nothing that follows from you matters enough for me to discuss with particularity other than to say that on this topic, there are both disputable & still unknown facts. From those facts, there are feelings, thoughts, and opinions. The feelings, thoughts, and opinions are three different (though related) things that commonly get discussed with rhetoric that bounces between them as though they are interchangeable. They aren't interchangeable, but I'm not going to waste anybody's time trying to untangle or explain any of that.
I think, therefore I am.

Reaction Score
Ok, I just watched the video. I was expecting Goodman to be in it. And Dauster too. I can't figure out what the problem is with the video. I mean there were rumors about Cooleys possible infidelities at the time. It would have been wrong NOT to mention that as a factor in him leaving PC. I'm not on twitter so I am asking why Goodman want to sue the guy who created the video. Also, personally I have never had a problem with Cooley. I think he's a good coach but that Divine Providence comment at his GTown presser was low and lousy. Finally, would someone please post a timeline of this entire kerfuffle please.
Goodman is buddies with Cooley, Fanta works with Dauster and Goodman on Field of 68. Fanta spoke a bunch in the Divine Providence doc, even though he doesn't say anything bad they probably don't want him associated with it. Goodman is probably worried about access with his buddy Cooley now.

Dauster seems like a nice enough guy but there's too much gatekeeping with him and Goodman and Goodman is just a jagbag. College hoops is supposed to be fun and it isn't that serious. I think Fanta would be smart to not be wrapped up with them. He's a good broadcaster and his personality/love of the game is infectious. He can be one of the voices for the sport for a long time and maybe branch out to other major sports down the road.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It was almost as if the field of 68 team said "Goodman's out. We need a new asshat." And Gottlieb said "hold my beer."
Gottlieb: "Nailed it"
Everybody else: "Failed it"

Gottlieb might hear the rhyme and claim, "See, they agree." Cooley might ask for a cut of revenue.

I still don't think it would add up to the most overblown topic in college hoops history, but that moniker gives me a lot of room to play with.

Finally, I'd like to see "Big East Films" re-named and re-branded as (perhaps) "Ig Beast Films," with the new wordmark logo written in crayon. This would help to rebut any claim that people were misled or confused, and thought that this was a Big East production.

It is telling that a significant number of Boneyarders took the bait. Better to defend the enterprise as obvious lampooning and thus non-culpable.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ok, I just watched the video. I was expecting Goodman to be in it. And Dauster too. I can't figure out what the problem is with the video. I mean there were rumors about Cooleys possible infidelities at the time. It would have been wrong NOT to mention that as a factor in him leaving PC. I'm not on twitter so I am asking why Goodman want to sue the guy who created the video. Also, personally I have never had a problem with Cooley. I think he's a good coach but that Divine Providence comment at his GTown presser was low and lousy. Finally, would someone please post a timeline of this entire kerfuffle please.
As Gottlieb so hypocritically pointed out its cancel culture. Some plausible defense of a fellow colleague (Fanta - a genuine good guy) but to my cynical mind was likely an action taken because he feared for his own bacon.

Had the opposite deserving affect in catapulting a locally popular video into a national video. Could have long term damaging impact on his career but short term it should be a non issue.

Just hope Fanta doesn't take a hit on this. He's really good at what he does.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Goodman is buddies with Cooley, Fanta works with Dauster and Goodman on Field of 68. Fanta spoke a bunch in the Divine Providence doc, even though he doesn't say anything bad they probably don't want him associated with it. Goodman is probably worried about access with his buddy Cooley now.

Dauster seems like a nice enough guy but there's too much gatekeeping with him and Goodman and Goodman is just a jagbag. College hoops is supposed to be fun and it isn't that serious. I think Fanta would be smart to not be wrapped up with them. He's a good broadcaster and his personality/love of the game is infectious. He can be one of the voices for the sport for a long time and maybe branch out to other major sports down the road.
Just when you think it's nothing but dbags from New England to Newport Beach, a fresh wind blows in from Chicagoland... QDog, SJ, and Blue Demon Degen for the win.

If Field of 68 goes down, this plucky trio could save college basketball.

Reaction Score
Just when you think it's nothing but dbags from New England to Newport Beach, a fresh wind blows in from Chicagoland... QDog, SJ, and Blue Demon Degen for the win.

If Field of 68 goes down, this plucky trio could save college basketball.
Haha, I don't want Field of 68 going down. I never root for anyone taking any kind of financial hit, even Goodman but he sure does act like a jerk. Dauster seems like good people and he's a Husky lunatic like the rest of us. They provide good content, they just need to calm down a little.

Fanta has a major career in network broadcasting, I want him to flourish and not get wrapped up/derailed in all this social media stuff.

Reaction Score
Gottleib did acknowledge calling people dbags while living in Newport Beach is funny. And did say there's a high percentage of dbags there.

I didn't see much wrong with what Gottlieb said. And he's certainly right about Newport Beach. College basketball is great in part because the fans in the Northeast are so insane. The Big East is great. The regional rivalries, the close proximity of some of the schools, the vitriol between the various fanbases. It's great for college basketball. And there are also a ton of d i ckheads among those fanbases. It all seems to check out.

Reaction Score
I didn't see much wrong with what Gottlieb said. And he's certainly right about Newport Beach. College basketball is great in part because the fans in the Northeast are so insane. The Big East is great. The regional rivalries, the close proximity of some of the schools, the vitriol between the various fanbases. It's great for college basketball. And there are also a ton of d i ckheads among those fanbases. It all seems to check out.
I guess the old saying is true, "It takes one to know one."

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not including Nova and Hall fans was an oversight. Not including BCU was music to my ears. No reason to include the Canadian team.

I haven't met a fanbase without at least a half ton of d i ckheads so it great to know we win the numbers game.

Reaction Score
I don’t see much wrong with what he said. Just funny one of the most DBaggy guys living in a Dbaggy area is calling others Dbags. But, as others pointed out, at least he got some self deprecation brownie points.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Haha, I don't want Field of 68 going down. I never root for anyone taking any kind of financial hit, even Goodman but he sure does act like a jerk. Dauster seems like good people and he's a Husky lunatic like the rest of us. They provide good content, they just need to calm down a little.

Fanta has a major career in network broadcasting, I want him to flourish and not get wrapped up/derailed in all this social media stuff.
I agree with all of you opinions on those three.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that on Saturday, when videos were being posted from the AMP, one was uncredited but clearly Goodman's as he entered the arena and surveyed the scene.

The audio included him being called out by name, not hugely like Cooley, but clearly no love lost from the few fans who recognized him. It was more like, "Get lost, loser. Get lost, Goodman" stuff. He didn't respond, because that wasn't the point of his video. It'd be like somebody passing Portnoy on the sidewalk and saying, "You suck." No big deal.

Reaction Score
My guess is Fanta approached this like any normal person and was supportive of a popular BE Twitter account making a film. Also like most people, he probably didn't have time to watch it and gave his OK based on the assumption it wouldn't compare Cooley to Hitler and recklessly speculate about his marriage.

Now, as an employee of a Big East broadcasting partner, he's trying to figure out how to disassociate himself with the thing. And assuming there's evidence of him OKing the film, there really aren't a lot of good options for him right now. Sucks but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he loses his job.
I really hope this isn't the case. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this whole situation and don't have all the details, but Fanta strikes me as the best candidate to be the next great one in college bball media.

Someone, who in 20 years, will be talked about on the same eschelon as the bill raftery's and dick vitale's of the space. It would be a huge mistake by any network to let him get away.

Reaction Score
absolutely. That's what I loved about being at the AMP for the Georgetown-Providence game. Hell even Providence fan and Georgetown fan got into it on the Boneyard.

UConn-Creighton is becoming a good rivalry
UConn-Providence has always been good and they are only 55 miles apart

Georgetown-Providence might have already catapulted to #1 rivalry in the Big East

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So Fanta just posted his dad had a heart attack and passed away yesterday at 56.

Very sad news, may he rest in peace.

How old is Fanta? I never would have considered the possibility that he his father would be younger than me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom